Grandmothers lost citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Geriz

Grandmothers lost citizenship

Post by Geriz »

Hello.
I was hoping someone could possible help explain why my paternal grandmother born in the United States in 1897 of Italian parents who immigrated to New York would have lost her U. S citizenship.
She married my grandfather in New York in 1920. My grandfather was born in Italy in 1892.
He had just returned to the U S for the second time having returned to Italy prior to WW1 and serving in the Italian Army.
My grandmothers story was she lost her citizenship because my granfather had been in the Italian army, but by the time my grandparents married the war was over.
My grandfather became a U S citizen and then my grandmother got her citizenship back, through something called Repatriation.
I have tried to research this but haven't had much luck.
If someone could help explain what happened I would br grateful.
Geri
mler
Master
Master

Re: Grandmothers lost citizenship

Post by mler »

This is an easy one. Before the 1922 Cable Act was enacted, women assumed the citizenship of their husbands. It was the law at that time.

My grandmother, born in NYC to Italian parents, lost her U.S. Citizenship in 1916 when she married my Italian-citizen grandfather. In 1929, my grandfather naturalized, and a few months later, so did my grandmother. This is apparently what happened in your family. Your grandmother lost her U.S. citizenship simply because her husband was Italian. It had absolutely nothing to do with military service.

Women had very few rights in the early 20th century.
Geriz

Re: Grandmothers lost citizenship

Post by Geriz »

Hello Mier,
Thank you so much for the information, what you say makes perfect sense.
I knew that it couldn't be connected to his military service.
I was able to find my grandfathers naturalization papers and my grandmothers paper was there also.