Please please help!- Jure Sanguinis

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sabrinnax

Please please help!- Jure Sanguinis

Post by sabrinnax »

Hi,
Im a 21 year old girl from Miami currently studying in University in London.
Here is my situation:

I hope with all my heart and soul to live in europe - as i speak Italian, Spanish, and English, and study fashion marketing this is where I want to be.

My Nonna and Nonno were both born in Italy naturalized together :cry: in:

My father was born in the United States in: 1967

I had gotten all the papers ready and soon realized that both of them naturalized before my father was born.

My nonna is still alive, and i was planning to go to our commune / town (its so small, everyone knows us, my family makes up about 50% of it) and get my citizenship.

When i finally realized when they naturalized it hit me like a ton of bricks that I sadly "do not qualify",
its been such a hard pill for me to swallow because my life has been built up to hopefully soon live here in Europe (not the UK), and even better would be Milano, as its the capital for what I want to do.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to get citizenship or where i should even go from here? My mom (she's not italian, she's colombian) said i should still go to italy and try to apply, maybe they'd be lenient with me if my nonna is there (she stays in italy for months at a time), and grant it for me because my family knows mostly everyone there. idk how this works, as I'm only 21 and in uni and haven't looked deep into the technical aspects of all of this.

I know this seems dramatic but I feel sad, lost, confused, and even depressed. I cried my eyes out all day yesterday until they were pulsating (i know crazy but put yourself in my shoes, I'm not getting this for 'just in case purposes', I actually plan to live here). I haven't graduated (I do in about a year and a half) and now Im freaking out because I was hoping to have my citizenship then.

Im holding onto hope but I would love to hear from others.

<3
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Please please help!- Jure Sanguinis

Post by suanj »

Your italian grandmother, still alive, can re-acquire the italian citizenship, if you reside in Italy within one year;
http://www.anusca.it/flex/cm/pages/Serv ... agina/9245

regaining italian citizenship can give it to her son (your father) and so to you...

This is the only way... I believe, just my opinion.. however I believe that regaining italian citizenship, after can go back in the USA... this way have two options:
In the first case, the residence must be transferred to Italy within one year of the declaration made before the Italian Consul in foreign Country, while in the second case the residence will be required to make the statement before the Italian Civil Registrar of the Commune.

I believe no hard, I know that some italian immigrated in USA around 1960s, naturalized, wishing to regain the italian citizenship, they chose the second option by being housed and buying the residence, staying with Italian relatives for about a year ... I do not think that during the year should I ever travel ... indeed ... I think especially in small villages, the mayors encourage the return....
just my opinion,
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Unfortunately, that wouldn’t work.

Yes, your gm can easily reacquire her citizenship, but because your father is no longer a minor, the citizenship doesn’t automatically transfer to him or to you. (During his minority, she did not hold Italian citizenship, and it’s during minority that citizenship is passed on.)

However, since you have a grandmother who was an Italian citizen, you qualify for a fast-track naturalization. This requires only three years of residence in Italy.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Mier you are right abt the children in minor age... Thanks,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
James
Rookie
Rookie

Post by James »

Just something to think about... Are there other ancestors, perhaps on your mothers side that are Italian?
James