1000 and 1 questions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
capitul

1000 and 1 questions

Post by capitul »

Okay, here is a whammy of questions:

In NY, you get the birth records and then you have to get a letter of exemplification. Once that is obtained, you must go to the county clerk and have it approved/verified. From there, you may go and get the apostille. I've heard marriage records are a different process? Please enlighten me....

Now, another issue - if they don't find somebody's birth record, how can you get a "delayed registration"? Also, how do you make corrections to a birth record? Also, if you were to try and use that "no record" as proof (as I read previously on another forum) would you have to get that apostilled? How the hell would you do that?

These are all for NYC and NYS documents.

Finally, do you need translations and apostilles for the people on the maternal side if you are claiming through your great grandfather, grandfather, father, and yourself? Or, would I just need xlations and apostilles for the men (and their marriage certificates)?

Whew!

Thanks.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: 1000 and 1 questions

Post by VaDeb »

Here is some information on delayed birth records in NY:

http://w3.health.state.ny.us/dbspace/NY ... enDocument

Good luck.

Debbie
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

capitul, I checked the link, and it seems that New York makes it difficult, if not impossible, to obtain a delayed birth certificate for someone no longer living.

Do you have any other documents (baptismal records, marriage and death certificate) that can be used as substitutes?
capitul

Post by capitul »

Update: in a surprising turn of events, a diligent woman at Municipal Archives managed to find the birth record. I am a happy dude!

But, I know for a fact the last name is mispelled (it is Murano instead of Morano). I have the baptism certificate for him, as well as my father's birth record, death, marriage, and I may even order his SS-5 card from Social Security Administration. I'm hoping this doesn't prove to be a problem, as I don't think NY will amend the record. :-/ Think that discrepency will be an issue *btw* im going thru Miami* ?