Sabatose

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
RickBart48

Sabatose

Post by RickBart48 »

Looking for ancestors or any other information on this family

Guiseppe, son of Antonio Sabatose; b. Apr 16, 1874 in Le Felicia, Naples, Italy; d. Oct 10, 1957 in Brockway; bur. with his wife in St. Tobias Cemetery, Brockway; m. in Italy, Antoinette Parenza; b. Aug 12, 1875 in Naples; d. Mar 19, 1960 in Brockway. The Sabatose family were farmers who raised sheep, and had a large orchard of chestnut trees on their land. Guiseppe was a carpenter in Naples, and joined the 10th regiment artillery of the Italian Army, Aug 31, 1894. He was a heavy artillery (probably cannons) operator. He came to America in 1899, became a US. citizen Oct 09, 1900 in Ridgeway, Pennsylvania, was a coal mine day man, and did part time masonry work in the area. Antoinette, her parents and two-week Petronilla emigrated in May 1899. Guiseppe did not know Nellie was born, and since she was not listed on his request papers, Antoinette smuggled her aboard ship under her shawl. In 1930, Guiseppe (Joseph) was living on Depot Street in Brockway. He was listed as a laborer in a macaroni factory. Children of Guiseppe and Antoinette (Parenza) Sabatose, include two daughters, Anna and Mary. They died as infants, and their birth dates and birth order are unknown. Petronilla was born in Italy. 9 other children were born in Pennsylvania:
Petronilla (Nellie) b. May 11, 1899 d. Oct 04, 1992

Rick in Taunton, MA
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Sabatose

Post by pink67 »

Hi Rick :D

As I noticed that the last name Sabatose doens't exist in italy I believe the correct spelling was Sabatasso, in fact I found this document on Ancestry.com:

Military Enlistment for the First World War:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Joseph Sabatasso
Name: Joseph Sabatasso
County: Jefferson
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 3 Mar 1875
Race: White
Roll: 1893242
DraftBoard: 1

he stated his wife Antonietta as nearest relative...

image:
[img=http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6858 ... wwi.th.jpg]

Last name Sabatasso is mainly present in the town of San Felice a Cancello (Caserta Province - Campania Region)

Laura :D

edit to add:

Possible 1920 census:

1920 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Sabatine
Name: Joseph Sabatine on the manifest Sabatosi?
Home in 1920: Brookville, Jefferson, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Genella
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1898
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 140
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Sabatine 45 head, born in IT
Genella Sabatine 43 wife, born in IT
Anna Sabatine 18 daughter, born in PA
Charline Sabatine 15 daughter, born in PA
Jordan Sabatine 12 son, born in PA
Sabatine 11 daughter, born in PA
May Sabatine 8 daughter, born in PA
Frank Sabatine 6 son, born in PA
Adan Sabatine 2 son, born in PA

Image:

[img=http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/14/sab ... sus.th.jpg]

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Here you have the 1910 census for your ancestor's family:

1910 United States Federal Census
about Guiseppe Sabbatas
Name: Guiseppe Sabbatas
[Giuseppe Subbatas]
Age in 1910: 35
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Dona
Home in 1910: Brookville, Jefferson, Pennsylvania
Year of Immigration: 1899
Guiseppe Sabbatas 35 head, born in IT, year of immigr. 1899
Dona Sabbatas 34 wife, born in IT year of Immigr. 1899
Petrona Sabbatas 11 daughter, born in IT
Antonio Sabbatas 9 son, born in PA
Nannie Sabbatas 8 daughter, born in PA
Celeste Sabbatas 5 daughter, born in PA
Vincenzo Sabbatas 3 son, born in PA
Josephine Sabbatas 1 6/12 daughter, born in PA

[img=http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9282 ... 900.th.jpg]
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Rick,

Possible the real last name of Antonietta was Peres....

Here you have her arrival manifest (1899) she was travelling with her mother Celeste Cafariello (Giuseppe and Antonia named a daughter after her) and her little daughter Petronilla (age only 15 days :!: )

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Antonia Peres
Name: Antonia Peres
Arrival Date: 24 May 1899
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Aller
Search Ship Database: View the Aller in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 19
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_65
Page Number: 244

she stated she was joining her husband Crescenzo (so maybe Joseph was an Americanized version for Crescenzo?) in Dubois? PA

[img=http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3302 ... val.th.jpg]

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Pink67 wrote:she stated she was joining her husband Crescenzo (so maybe Joseph was an Americanized version for Crescenzo?) in Dubois? PA
I was wrong here....

Crescenzo Peres was Celeste's husband and Antonia's father....
It seems that Giuseppe Sabatasse arrived in the U.S. after Antonia and Petronilla...

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Giuseppe Gabatano
Name: Giuseppe Gabatano :?
Arrival Date: 2 Sep 1899
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Hesperia
Search Ship Database: Search the Hesperia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 5
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_80
Page Number: 41

Gisueppe stated he was a mason, last residence San Felice a Castello, and that he was joining his wife Antonetta Peres in Pennsylvania (can't recognize the place :? )

[img=http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1462/sab ... val.th.jpg]

:D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

RickBart48 wrote:Looking for ancestors or any other information on this family

Guiseppe, son of Antonio Sabatose; b. Apr 16, 1874 in Le Felicia, Naples, Italy; d. Oct 10, 1957 in Brockway; bur. with his wife in St. Tobias Cemetery, Brockway; m. in Italy, Antoinette Parenza; b. Aug 12, 1875 in Naples; d. Mar 19, 1960 in Brockway. The Sabatose family were farmers who raised sheep, and had a large orchard of chestnut trees on their land. Guiseppe was a carpenter in Naples, and joined the 10th regiment artillery of the Italian Army, Aug 31, 1894. He was a heavy artillery (probably cannons) operator. He came to America in 1899, became a US. citizen Oct 09, 1900 in Ridgeway, Pennsylvania, was a coal mine day man, and did part time masonry work in the area. Antoinette, her parents and two-week Petronilla emigrated in May 1899. Guiseppe did not know Nellie was born, and since she was not listed on his request papers, Antoinette smuggled her aboard ship under her shawl. In 1930, Guiseppe (Joseph) was living on Depot Street in Brockway. He was listed as a laborer in a macaroni factory. Children of Guiseppe and Antoinette (Parenza) Sabatose, include two daughters, Anna and Mary. They died as infants, and their birth dates and birth order are unknown. Petronilla was born in Italy. 9 other children were born in Pennsylvania:
Petronilla (Nellie) b. May 11, 1899 d. Oct 04, 1992

Rick in Taunton, MA
Hi
the infos of pink67 are correct....
Giuseppe Sabatasso ( Sabatose) was born in San Felice a Cancello, Caserta province, Campania region, Italy; La Felice name town is incorrect...
for any records you can search in Mormon's microfilms:
Topic Italy, Caserta, San Felice a Cancello - Civil registration

Titles Registri dello stato civile di San Felice a Cancello (Caserta), 1809-1929 San Felice a Cancello (Caserta). Ufficio dello stato civile
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
RickBart48

Post by RickBart48 »

Thank you very much Laura. First, this is my great-grandfather. The name must have been changed to Sabatose. All other records, grave sites, children's names, etc. Have the latter spelling. On the manifest of the SS Hesperia, a real close look does say Sabatasso. His final destination was Crenshaw, PA. That town is in Jefferson County. My mother, daughter of his daughter Celeste, was born there. My grandmother Celeste must have beennamed after her grandmother. I'm going to have to studt the manifest of the Aller more. It looks like Antonia came over with her mother Celeste Cafariello and her daughter Petronilla. I'm glad I have another generation to add. Petronilla was my grandmother's sister "Nellie". If she was listed, the story of hiding her under a shawl may have been made up. Thanks again for all the great leads!

If you go on Ancestry, my family tree is there with pictures of the Sabatose Family. Richard Bart's Family Tree

Rick in Taunton, MA
RickBart48

Post by RickBart48 »

Thank you Suanj

I will be sure to make a trip to the FHC near here soon.

Rick in Taunton, MA
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You're welcome Rick!
I saw you tree on Ancestry.com.... very well done...
now you have some new dates and correct names to add... :D
Suanj is right... a visit to your nearest FHC Center should give you more sure dates about your great-grandparents!
You'll be able to find also their birth certificates and marriage acts....
However Sabatasso is not a very common last name as you can see here:

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognom ... pania.html

Good luck with your search!

Laura

p.s. I was searching the 1900 census with no luck... possible there must have been also Antonia's parents in Pennsylvania... :?
What about this one?

1900 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Sabatirra
Name: Joseph Sabatirra
[Joseph Sabatirro]
Home in 1900: Old Forge, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
Birth Date: Mar 1871
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1891
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Nice
Marriage Year: 1897
Years Married: 3
Residence : Old Forge Borough, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
Joseph Sabatirra 29
Nice Sabatirra 25
Mary Sabatirra 1
Jackomo Sabbia 39
m22214

Post by m22214 »

Rick I am a decentant of Antoinette she was my great great grandmother. we have many relatives living in Brockway PA, Joseph Sabatose was my grandmother's Josephine father. I have been looking for information just recently for more about the family from Italy, I have a picture of Joseph and Antoinette, there are many more things I have documents of his citizenship to the US. Celeste is my grandmothers sister. I have pictures of all her brothers and sister and My grandma Josephine had 7 boys and 1 girl. Anna and Mary did not die as infants. Mary die in 4/12/1948 was born in 1912 but no month or day and Anna die 9/8/1961 her brith date is 12/14/1902. the paper work I have comes from my uncles and I do have pictures of all 10 of the kids(growups). I remember grandma sitting with Celeste(Christine) in grandma's kitchen makin anise cookies.
RickBart48

Post by RickBart48 »

I would very much like to share and trade information on the Sabatoses and their extended families. You can contact me direct

Rick in Taunton, MA
rkabart@comcast.net
m22214

Post by m22214 »

Rick, your information was right (Children of Guiseppe and Antoinette (Parenza) Sabatose, include two daughters, Anna and Mary. They died as infants, and their birth dates and birth order are unknown) but they did have 2 more daughters which they later gave to the subsequent daughters. so in total they had 12 children
JHodge14

Post by JHodge14 »

Hi all,

I recently started diving into my family history and genealogy. I am the great great granddaughter of Joseph and Antoinette Parenza Sabatose. Their son Anthony (Tony) Sabatose is my mother's grandfather. I am currently in the process of building my family tree in Ancestry and came across this thread. I noticed there hasn't been a post in a really long time, but I would love to chat with anyone regarding the family history. I have a brief family history detailed by Adam Harry Sabatose, but I don't have much beyond the grandchildren of Joseph and Antoinette.

V/r,

Jen