Mottola family (from avellino) new jersey !

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
silvio.ottorino

Mottola family (from avellino) new jersey !

Post by silvio.ottorino »

Hi to everybody,
my compliments for this site, i think it is very very usefull.
I'm an italian man, I'm looking for some pieces of information about Mottola family. The first ancestor went to USA around the 1920s. His name was Vincenzo. He had 3 children (Alfonso, Giovanni and
adele).
From the little information that i have i know that probably the lived in Patterson.

They were from a little village near avellino (Santa lucia di serino).

Could someone help me? how can i find some information about the mottola family today?

Thank you in advace for your attention.

Silvio
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Mottola family (from avellino) new jersey !

Post by PeterTimber »

The website www.tuttitalia.it/campania/57-santa-lucia-di-serino website will furnish you with basic information about the town and there is one listing for Mottola inthe town telephone directory at www.paginebianche.it

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html will furnish you with form letters to send,free of charge for birth,marriage and death records which you send to the Ufficio di Stato Civile at the address listed under MUNICIPIO.

If you wish to trace your rfamily youcan go to your nearest Mormon church family history library (www.familysearch.org for the location closest to your home) and rent out the vital records for Santa Lucia di Serino for about $5.00 =Peter=
~Peter~
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here are some images of a US Passport issued to Vincenzo Mottola in 1920 to return to Avellino to see his parents. It states that this Vincenzo was born 11 October 1889 in Serino, Avellino, Italy. He sailed from Naples on 24 April 1902, and has lived in NYC for 18 years.
I have posted the Passport in top and bottom parts to make it easier to read. I will also post the reverse side which contains a picture of Vincenzo (though not very clear) to help you decide if this is the Vincenzo you are researching.

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

There is a listing for a Vincent Mottola in the 1930 US Census. He is living in New York with his wife Josephine (who immigrated in 1920), and his children: Adele, age 8; Alfonso, age 6; and Jennie, age 2. The children were born in New York.
Vincent is the owner of a Fruit Shop. The census lists him as age 40, born in Italy, immigrated about 1900, and a Naturalized US citizen. He was residing at 346 East 104th St., New York, NY.

T.

silvio.ottorino

great! :D

thanks to everybody for advices and information.
Thank you Tessa, he is the Vincenzo Mottola that i was looking for.
My grandmother has seen the foto you posted and has identified him!
I'm really happy; she is very happy and hopeful.

I'd like to contact the descendat of Adele, Alfonso or Jennie .
Could anyone give me some advices usefull to reach them?
This is the first time i make this tipe of research, and i don't know how to act. Moreover my english is not very good and it is not very easy for me to see through the document.

Thanks again for help! :)

ps: sorry for my english, and for mistake. I apologize!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Ciao Silvio :-)

Your English is very good, and easy to understand... :-) :-)
I am so pleased that this is your Vincenzo! And I am pleased to have helped in some small way.

I have located what may be the death date of Vincenzo's son, Alfonso. If we go with the census...Alfonso was born about 1924. There is an Alfonso Mottola, born 4 May 1924, who died June 1987, in Jamaica, Queens, NY.

There are many very talented volunteers at this forum who may be able to find an obiturary notice that will list his relatives.

I have also found a Vincenzo Mottola who died in August 1970 at age 81, in Flushing, Queens, NY who may be your Vincenzo. Finding this obituary notice may also help.

There are too many Mottolas in the telephone directory for you to call or write to. Let's hope someone can help to narrow down the choices.

T.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Tessa at age 6 Alfonso wasliving withhis family at 104thstreet & first avenue, in Mahattan as per the 1930 NYC census. For what it is worth. =Peter=
~Peter~
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Thanks, Peter. Every clue helps!
I'm hoping that someone who has experience with obituary searches will also jump in.

T.
carajoy

Post by carajoy »

Hi Silvio,

I am from the Mottola lineage. My great, great grandparents were Mottola's and came in Brooklyn, Ny from Avellino, Italy.

I think my great grandmother is Josephine Mottola, but i'll have to find out her siblings names. I know there was Anita too. They owned an Italian bakery in Brooklyn.

We're all still in NY.

I don't remember a Vincenzo?

If I can be of help to you feel free to reply.

Thanks,

Cara Burgess
silvio.ottorino

Hi Cara,
sorry to be late, it's a lot of time I'm away from this forum, i was very busy .
Thank you for the post, you were very kind.
So, if I well understand you're the grandchild of one of the 3 Vincenzo's Son's( Alfonso Adele and jannie). Is it correct?
I' don't rember about Anita, i should ask to my Grandmother, fortunately next week i' ll be at home and i'll talk with her.
In the meantime, could I ask you some information about Your grandmother or grandfather, and about anita?
Have you got perchance some photos about them to show my grandmother?
I Hope not to be inopportune.

Thanks

Silvio
hinkles

Post by hinkles »

My wife is related to some Mottolas. They are also from Avellino in Italy. There names are listed as Mike and Margaret Mottola (both born around 1875). They had a son, Joseph Jeremiah Mottola (Born October 8, 1896) who came with them from Italy. Mike came to the US in 1896 and Margaret came to the US with Joseph in 1902.

I am unable to locate anything about their arrival in the immigration records. Maybe their first names were "Americanized" and I am missing them? I'd also like to find the link to their ancestors in Italy. I would appreciate any help or information. Thanks!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

hinkles wrote:My wife is related to some Mottolas. They are also from Avellino in Italy. There names are listed as Mike and Margaret Mottola (both born around 1875). They had a son, Joseph Jeremiah Mottola (Born October 8, 1896) who came with them from Italy. Mike came to the US in 1896 and Margaret came to the US with Joseph in 1902.

I am unable to locate anything about their arrival in the immigration records. Maybe their first names were "Americanized" and I am missing them? I'd also like to find the link to their ancestors in Italy. I would appreciate any help or information. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum :D !
You may want to start your own post so your family doesn't get mixed up with another poster's ancestors
Just click on 'New Topic' just below this post to the left
Valarie
gagaspa

Post by gagaspa »

I came across this web site by accident while doing research about my grandfather Vincenzo Mottola. From the documents that are posted it seems to be his. All of his children are correct. The dates are correct.

Who are you looking for?
silvio.ottorino

Hy gagaspa,
could I ask your name? wich of the three vincenzo's sons is your parent?
gagaspa

Post by gagaspa »

My mother Adele was his daughter. Alfonso and John were my uncles. All are deceased.