Well, I'm lost & confused

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jacobarber
Rookie
Rookie

Well, I'm lost & confused

Post by jacobarber »

A few months ago, I wrote a letter to the comune of Reggio Calabria requesting my great grandfather's birth certificate. I received a response today, with a birth certificate extract attached.

The letter translates (through Google Translate) as this:
In reference to your request on the extract of the birth of Mr. Dominic Barber, it announced that, following investigations show that the date of 28.10.1886 was born in Catona and Mr. Francesco Barberi Nunziato, Barberi son of Nunzio and Maria Romeo as a certificate attached. Remain available for further clarifications, send regards.
The problem here is that my great grandfather's name is Dominico, not Francesco. Everything else is exactly correct though; his birthdate, mother's & father's names, and the Frazione where he was born.

I guess I need to know first what I can actually use an extract of the birth certificate for. Second, how do I approach the wrong name situation?
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Re: Well, I'm lost & confused

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Did Nunzio have a sister called Domenica, and did your Great Grandfather Domenico travel to Toronto in 1913 with Cousins?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

What was Domenico's Wife Called?

Marietta Labella (surname spelling?)

Teresa Martia (surname spelling?)

?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, but you found the ship's manifest of your ancestor?

The fist name on the ship's manifest was Francesco or Domenico ?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jacobarber
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jacobarber »

jamiecapaldi wrote:Did Nunzio have a sister called Domenica, and did your Great Grandfather Domenico travel to Toronto in 1913 with Cousins?
I have never known of any siblings. It's definitely possible he had some though.
jamiecapaldi wrote:What was Domenico's Wife Called?

Marietta Labella (surname spelling?)

Teresa Martia (surname spelling?)

?
Dominic's wife was Filomena Louis Conodoluci. They got married in Albion NY on Jan 7, 1907. I have her birth certificate from Italy.
suanj wrote:Hi, but you found the ship's manifest of your ancestor?

The fist name on the ship's manifest was Francesco or Domenico ?
suanj
The only record I have of his immigration date and ship info are on his Declaration of Intent to naturalize. It states that he arrived on May 18, 1900 on the ship Washington and that he departed from Messina. I cannot find any record of this ship at all, which is troubling.

His memory may have been hazy, since 20 years had passed between his apparent arrival and submission of his declaration of intent. I know mine would be.

This is really throwing me a curveball. I expected to either get the proper document or none at all. Any suggestions?
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Can you tell us the name of the frazione where he was born?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hi misbris the frazione most probably was: Catona
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jacobarber
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jacobarber »

suanj wrote:hi misbris the frazione most probably was: Catona
suanj
Correct. He was born in Catona. There are 2 Catonas in Italy; one in Reggio Calabria, and the other in the comune of Ascea in Salerno. The reason I believe he was born in Reggio is because his ship left from Messina, which can be seen from the beaches of Catona in Reggio Calabria.

I didn't want to do this, but I think I'm going to send a similar request to Ascea that I sent to Reggio Calabria. Although I can't imagine such a coincidence, I can't rule it out.

Other suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

The problem here is that my great grandfather's name is Dominico, not Francesco. Everything else is exactly correct though; his birthdate, mother's & father's names, and the Frazione where he was born.
You should post an image of the actual documents you received. Google translations can be inaccurate. Perhaps Francesco was Domenico's father? As in... Domenico, son of Francesco Nunziato Barberi (son of Nunzio) and Maria Romeo, was born on 28.10.1886 in Catona. Just a guess.
John Armellino
jacobarber
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jacobarber »

There are 2 documents I received. The 1st is a letter with the following text:
In riferimento alla Sua richiesta relativa all'estratto dell'atto di nascita del sig. Dominico Barber, si comunica che, in sequito alle ricerche effettuate risulta che alla data del 28.19.1886 a Catona e nato il sig. Barberi Francesco Nunziato, figlio di Barberi Nunzio e Romeo Maria come da certificato allegato alla presente. Rimanendo a disposizione per ulteriori chiarimenti, si inviano distinti saluti.
I've also attached the birth extract. You'll notice that there is no mention of Dominico on the extract. They found 99% of what I needed, but the 1% is the most important.

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Yes, I see your dilemma. The extract provided is for Francesco Nunziato Barberi, son of Nunzio and Maria Romeo, born 28 NOV 1886. But of course you already knew this!

An extract is by its nature a secondary source. The Registri dello Stato Civile di Reggio di Calabria, 1810-1910, has been filmed by the LDS. Have you checked these films? They should provide you with an image of the original record from which the extract was taken, as well as other records of your family.
John Armellino
jacobarber
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jacobarber »

I did check the films once, but it was before I really knew what to look for. I couldn't figure out how they were organized or anything. I have a friend who is heading to SLC sometime soon, so I will be giving him some info to check if he gets the chance.

I'm wondering about the possibility of Dominico having a twin brother named Francecso. Onward with my search. We'll see what turns up.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that really Domenico was born with name of Francesco Nunziato Barberi.
Maybe he changed in USA the first name.
I cannot find a Domenico Barberi from Catona arrived around 1900.
I found only a Francesco Barberi, 16 old arrived in Canada in 1901:

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 about Francesco Barbers
Name: Francesco Barbers ( Barberi)
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Date of Arrival: 12 Apr 1901
Vessel: Lusitania
Search Ship Database: View the 'Lusitania' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Port of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia and St John, New Brunswick
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-494
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7915/f ... 901apr.jpg
in travel with:
- Pasquale Barberi age 25
and in same trip, also:
-Romeo Antonio age 32
-Romeo Giuseppe age 15
-Romeo Francesco age 21

I know not if the arrival record is abt your ancestor, but this is the only probable record that I found; maybe this Francesco entering in USA after some month... and becoming Domenico??
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jacobarber
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jacobarber »

Interesting. I've never looked in Canadian immigration records. His Declaration of Intent says he arrived in NYC in 1900, so I wouldn't think that the Canadian record is his. I will have to entertain 2 possibilities:

1) He was born Francesco Nunziato and changed his name to Dominic
2) He had a twin brother named Francesco Nunziato, whose birth extract I was given.

I suppose it's time for more research. I was hoping I could move to the next step, but it just opened another can of worms. Lucky me.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the second option is impossible, because if Domenico had a twin named Francesco Nunziato , why the civil record officer sent Francesco Nunziato birth certificate and not Domenico birth certificate?

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH