Grandmother born in Gaeta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Grandmother born in Gaeta

Post by nancy711 »

I had found the 1920 census for Civita DiNitto and my great-uncle Antonio a few days ago. I am using it as part of my research, but when I looked at it closer, I did not realize that the Cosmo Anouch listed in the same house was Cosmo Ranucci - now it makes sense that the surname was misundertood when written down. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I have been looking closer at the SS Sannio manifest that lists Matilde Paganelli. As you told me, her nearest relative is her uncle Francesco Spada. I also noticed that on the line just above Civita, there is a passenger Cosmo (I can't make out the surname), who has listed his nearest relative as what appears to be Francesco (Cosmo's name is also crossed off so it is not that clear to me). This Cosmo is also going to Somerville, MA at 26 South St. which is very close to the Cosmo Ranucci address in Somerville. Perhaps this man is a relative of Matilde. Are you able to make out his last name on the manifest? I would like to use it to try and find a census with his name.

Sincerely,
Nancy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

this trip crossed of
DI VASTA NUNZIA Cosmo male age 27, father Francesco in Elena, already in MA from... unreadable.... joining at brother in law... unreadable name.. 26 South st Somerville MA...
I know not who is this man... however in Somerville was many people of Elena...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

Thank you for the quick response. Many of my relatives from that region arrived and stayed in Somerville.
I am convinced that Cosmo had 3 marriages, Annie, Civita, and Giovanna. I will still search for the ship's manifest that brought him to America for the first time somewhere between 1904 and 1907.
I will also contact my aunt (Joseph Siccone daughter) to see if she remembers Cosmos's daughter Francesca's married name. So that I can search for a census for her family.

Thank you again so much. Your help has been immeasurable.

Nancy
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

suanj:
On May 3, you provided me with the following information:

"you can give us the first name? with Ranuzo maiden name I found only:
Matilda Ranuzo
Massachusetts Marriages, 1841-1915

birth 1890 —, , Italy
marriage 1911 Mar 5;05 Mar 1911 —Boston, , Massachusetts
parents: Cosmo Ranuzo, Annie Presta
spouse: Joseph Siccone

more details:
Name: Joseph Ciccone
Titles & Terms:
Event: Marriage
Event Date: 05 Mar 1911
Event Place: Boston, , Massachusetts
Marital Status:
Race:
Birth Date: 1886
Birthplace: , , Italy
Marriage Registration Year:
Marriage Registration Place: Boston, , Massachusetts
Estimated Birth Year: 1886
Father: Pasquale Ciccone
Father's Titles & Terms:
Mother: Maria Durazzano
Mother's Titles & Terms:
Spouse: Matilde Ranucci
Spouse's Titles & Terms:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Father: Cosmo Ranucci
Spouse's Father's Titles & Terms:
Spouse's Mother: Nunziata Prestagiovanni ( Nunziata/Civita was the second wife of Cosmo Ranucci married on 11 Aug 1912
Spouse's Mother's Titles & Terms:
Record Number: 6395
Film Number: 2409942
Digital Folder Number: 4329367
Image Number: 00380
Number of Images: 1 "

I found this image of the marriage. It lists Spouse's Mother as Annie Presta. The info you above lists Nunziata Prestagiovanni. Because my mom's name is Nancy, I believe she may have been named after Nunziata. Therefore, I would really like to have a copy of the certificate/registry with her name on it. I would really appreciate it if you provide me with the link that will get me to that document.
Thanks,
Nancy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes, really the Matilde mother name in one marriage record is Annie Presta and in the second record is Nunziata Prestagiovanni;
maybe Annie is the short version of Annunziata first name? as a well Nunziata also of Annunziata? the image abt the marriage record:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/86 ... image.jpg/
all the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

I think I may have found the manifest for Cosmo Ranucci arrival in America. The 1910 Census has noted that he immigrated in 1907. On the April 22, 1907 manifest for the SS Cymric lists the name Erasimo Prestagiovanni. On Cosmo's marriage registry to Civita his father's name is Erasimo. In 1907 his first wife's surname is Prestagiovanni. He could not read or write...perhaps this is him, since no other record of his arrival can be found. What do you think?
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

suanj: I have solved the mystery of Cosmo's SON Francesco Ranucci. I have found a 1920 & 1930 census with Francis Gallo as the wife of Grasmo (Erasmo) Gallo in 1920 and Raymond Gallo in 1930. In 1920 they are living at 6 Bedford St, Somerville, MA. That is the destination address that Cosmo gives in his 1926 manifest to join with his son Francesco Ranucci. I remembered that Francis had a son named Sal, and in the 1930 census the last child listed is Salvo. I am definitely sure that this is the daughter of Cosmo.

I would like to try and find the ship's manifest for the arrival of Erasmo Gallo in America. It is noted on the census that he immigrated in 1914. I have not been able to find any manifest for him. He probably arrived in Boston. Perhaps you might be able to help me.

Thank you, Nancy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ah, finally, so was the daughter and not the son...!! Cosmo had only daughters and nobody son!
here the arrival of Erasmo Gallo:
Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943
about Erasmo Gallo Name: Erasmo Gallo
Arrival Date: 29 Oct 1913
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Cretic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Germano Devellis
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Elena, Italy

pag 1 http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/815/erasmo1.jpg/
pag 2 http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/erasmo2.jpg/
bye,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

Thanks...also appears that Erasmo was in the United States before : 07/10. Could be that from 1907-1910 he was living in the US, then went back to Italy, then came back to US in 1913. Francesca came over in 1912 (with Civita Prestaiovanni) at 12 years old. The census says she married Erasmo at 13. It looks like they married not long after Erasmo came back again in 1913. I found a manifest for 1907 with his name arriving in New York. But it is a listing of names only and no details. Perhaps that is not him and there is a manifest with his name arriving in Boston around 1907.
Regards,
Nancy
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

suanj: I found my grandfather's WWII Draft Registration Card from 1942. On it he has written that his place of birth is Caserta, Italy. We know that when he emigrated at 8 yrs. old his hometown was listed as Elena, Italy. So, his father Pasquale Siccone (Ciccone) and mother Maria may have been married in Caserta, had a child then moved to Elena. Do you happen to know if his surname is common in the Caserta area?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

in old past, Gaeta( Elena) was in Caserta province; Caserta town is also the capital of Caserta province, for that he declared Caserta, as many italian immigrants declaring the capital of region or capital of province because a little town .. who know it? instead the capital is a big town; you can be very sure that all your ancestors coming from Gaeta( ex Elena) in the past Gaeta was in Caserta province, and currently in Latina province( because Latina became province from 1934 and many communes of Caserta province becoming part of the new province: Latina)..

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

Makes sense...thanks again.
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

suanj: I have found the manifest for Erasmo Gallo's first arrival to United States on Mar. 6, 1905 aboard SS Romanic arriving in Boston. His destination was Somerville. I believe that sometime before 1910 he went back to Italy and then came back to America in 1913. Shortly after coming back, he married Francesca Ranucci (who arrived in 1912) and they lived in Somerville, MA. I have searched quite a while for their marriage record but have had no success. Perhaps you could help me find it. I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Nancy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I no found the marriage record in this database:
Massachusetts Marriages, 1841-1915

but maybe they married after the 1915, because by 1920 census:

Name: Grasmo Gallo
Residence: Somerville City Part Of 2 Part Of Prencint 1, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Estimated Birth Year: 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Race: White
Marital Status: Married
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Birthplace:
Film Number: 1820717
Digital Folder Number: 4301114
Image Number: 00854
Sheet Number: 13
Household Gender Age
Grasmo Gallo M 34y
Spouse Francis Gallo F 19y
Child Florence Gallo F 1y8m
Child Nancy Gallo F 8m

Florence Gallo was 1y8m old, so maybe the parents married around 1917...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

I thought that too, but then I came across the 1930 census in which it is listed her age at first marriage as 13 years old. In know the manifest when she arrived in 1912 listed her age as 12. So I assumed she married around 1913. But, as you have said before, not all the information that immigrants provided was always accurate. Perhaps they did marry around 1917.
I am also searching for the 1920 census with my grandfather's sister Florence is listed on. In the 1910 census she is single (Florence Cicone) and 9 years old. In 1930, she is married (Florence Montagna) at age 29. I know she married at 14 years old, so by 1920 she was married to Thomas Montagna, but I can't seem to find anything. Perhaps you can help me with that?
Thanks, Nancy