Trocciola-campobasso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suetroc

Trocciola-campobasso

Post by suetroc »

My great-great grandfather- Carlo Trocciola (Born Jan 21 1853) was from Campobasso and came to New York City with his four sons in the early 1900's. The sons are Pasquale (born 1882), Giovanni- Born 1884, Mario- born 1887 and Amadeo- born 1890. His wife was Giuseppina D'Angelo (born 1860). I cannot figure out where in Campobasso they are from- all the records (Ellis Island, Naturalization)- only say Campobasso. So how do I find out more information
Thanks
Susan Trocciola

Carlo's parents were Pasquale Trocciola and Rosaria Avecca or Avella
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Trocciola-campobasso

Post by suanj »

Hi the arrival of Pasquale:
First Name: Pasquale
Last Name: Tracciola
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Campotarro
Date of Arrival: Jan 28, 1904
Age at Arrival: 20 Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Nord America
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0025
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025
no sailed, father Carlo in the trip, joining at son Giovanni.. the last residence is Campobasso..

Pasquale arrived later:

First Name: Pasquale
Last Name: Trocciola
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Campobasso
Date of Arrival: Sep 22, 1904
Age at Arrival: 22y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Konigin Luise
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0026

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026

I believe that your ancestors coming from Campobasso town... maybe Carlo was born no in Campobasso and married in Campobasso at Giuseppina D'Angelo... and the children was born here...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

My great-great grandfather- Carlo Trocciola (Born Jan 21 1853) was from Campobasso and came to New York City with his four sons in the early 1900's. The sons are Pasquale (born 1882), Giovanni- Born 1884, Mario- born 1887 and Amadeo- born 1890. His wife was Giuseppina D'Angelo (born 1860). I cannot figure out where in Campobasso they are from- all the records (Ellis Island, Naturalization)- only say Campobasso.
Carlo Tracciala [sic], age 31, born in Santa Maria Capua, son of Pasquale and Rosalia Avete [sic], married Giuseppa d'Angelo, age 26, daughter of Giovanni and Anna Maria Lionetti, on 17 JUL 1880 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1733313/MATRIMONI 1880/Numero 38, 17 JUL 1880.

I haven't reviewed the marriage record since I entered it into my database, but I believe the above spelling of Tracciala and Avete accurately reflect the record. However, the proper spelling is probably Trocciola and Aveta respectively. A quick search on Pagine Bianche shows eleven people named Aveta and five people named Trocciola living in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (as it is now known).

Santa Maria Capua Vetere has a very long history. Originally the very important Roman town of Capua (Livy described it as the richest and largest Roman city outside of Rome), it was destroyed by the Saracens in 840 AM. The surviving population fled to Casilinum, where they changed the name to Capua. Meanwhile, a new town was rising amid the ruins of ancient Capua. This town became known as Santa Maria Capua, and later as Santa Maria Capua Vetere. At the time of your Great Great Grandfather's birth it was known as the comune di Santa Maria Capua in the distretto di Caserta, provincia di Terra di Lavoro, Regno delle Due Sicilie. The Registri dello stato civile di Santa Maria Capua Vetere (Caserta), 1809-1929, has been microfilmed by the Mormons and is available to rent and view at their Family Search Centers. You can review the film notes and find the nearest Family Search Center at http://www.familysearch.org.

Your Great Grandmother Giuseppa d'Angelo was born in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. However, her paternal Grandfather Achille d'Angelo was born in Boiano, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli and her maternal Grandfather in Antonio Lionetti was born in Maddaloni, Caserta, Terra di Lavoro, Regno di Napoli. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1443306/PROCESSETTI 1845/Numero del Registro 55, 24 OCT 1845.

Giuseppa d'Angelo's Great Great Grandmother was Eleonora Serafina di Rito (baptized 20 DEC 1729). We are 7th cousins on this line (my Grandmother was Emilia di Rito). Our common ancestors are Carmine Stefano di Rito (baptized 26 DEC 1703) and Teresangela Pietrunto. Carmine's father was Nicola di Rito, who originated in the comune of Pietracatella. The entire di Rito family found in the comune of Campobasso descends from him.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I believe that your ancestors coming from Campobasso town... maybe Carlo was born no in Campobasso and married in Campobasso at Giuseppina D'Angelo... and the children was born here...
@ suanj - You were right on the money!
John Armellino
suetroc

Post by suetroc »

Wow- thank you for all the information- I am running to a meeting- but very excited to look more into it later. Thanks again.
Susan
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I wrote:
Originally the very important Roman town of Capua (Livy described it as the richest and largest Roman city outside of Rome), it was destroyed by the Saracens in 840 AM.
Note that the Saracens destroyed Capua at 8:40 in the morning. Man, those records are detailed! LOL
John Armellino
suetroc

Post by suetroc »

John- Thank you again for all the useful information. Do you have your family tree posted anywhere- mine is through ancestry.com and I would be happy to share it with you.

I have tried to order microfilms in the past- but then when they arrive it is very confusing where to look (I had another relative whose birth certificate I had). Do you speak Italian? How were you able to get so much information?
Susan
suetroc

Post by suetroc »

And all your research is correct- I have many of the same last names from the death certificates of Giuseppa and Carlo.
Susan
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Susan - I don't have my data online but if you send an email to armellino at yahoo dot com, I will send you some charts for your family tree. I wouldn't give up on the microfilms. The ability to read the documents and elicit pertinent data will come with practice. To get started you might try one of two excellent books on Italian genealogical records: (1) Italian Genealogical Records: How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical & Other Records in Family History Research by Trafford R. Cole and/or (2) Genealogists Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors: How to Find and Record Your Unique Heritage by Lynn Nelson. Either book will help you get started. It's not necessary to speak Italian since the relevant portions of most records are standardized and can be mastered in short order.
John Armellino
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

great work John!
Bye,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Thanks, Raffaella. I hope all is well with you and your family. I miss Molise --- it's been a few years now.
John Armellino
suetroc

Post by suetroc »

Yes, thank you again John. I can't wait to tell me Dad all about it- he will be quite excited and hopefully in the next year or two we can go to see some of these old towns.

Thank you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Sue,

Here is Carlo's birth act.

http://postimage.org/image/bmte9svk7/
http://postimage.org/image/4wh0774cx/

CARLO FILIPPO GELTRUDO(?) TROCCIOLA
BORN: 21 JAN 1849 IN SANTA MARIA CAPUA VETERE
FATHER: PASQUALE TROCCIOLA AGE 45 SON OF THE LATE MARCO (I can't figure out his profession)
MOTHER: ROSALIA AVETA AGE 41 DAUGHTER OF THE LATE MICHELE

Hi John,
I appreciated the history lesson about Santa Maria. :D
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Here is the birth act of Carlo's brother.

http://postimage.org/image/3lwq2cl3b/
http://postimage.org/image/6gwcj0lsr/

NAME: GIOVANGIUSEPPE TROCCIOLA
BORN : 10 March 1845
FATHER: PASQUALE TROCCIOLA AGE 38 SON OF THE LATE MARCO
MOTHER: ROSALIA AVETA AGE 39 DAUGHTER OF THE LATE MICHELE
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Here is the death of one of Carlo's brothers.

11 JAN 1895 DEATH
NAME: LUIGI TROCCIOLA
FATHER: PASQUALE TROCCIOLA (deceased)
MOTHER: ROSALIA AVETA (deceased)
SPOUSE: ANTONIA FELICE
Jim