La Rosa/ D Andrea

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

La Rosa/ D Andrea

Post by marymary52 »

I am tying to find if Carmela D Andrea and Santo La Rosa Had A daughter named Giovannina. They did have a daughter named Mary La Rosa born 2/9/1866 ( February ) I have an old photograph with an old women. I don't know who she is. Here is the letter below . My mother had it and I think it belonged to her mother Mary La Rosa, Mary, Married a Jackco? Maisano, Then a Stephano Provindenti

"Dear Daughter,

I took this photograph in the morning, right when I woke up (got out of bed) by a photographer who happened to pass by/outside/in the street who took the photos and immediately gave the photos out. Right when I saw him, I decided to get dressed quickly and take the photo because your sister Giovannina had been asking for a long time that I take this photo, but since I can no longer travel to Messina, I cannot, but now…..I was able to……. this occasion, …I have ……… the desire, maybe the last one to……."

Upside down/top right side of postcard:
"Many kisses, your mother, 86 years old"
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: La Rosa/ D Andrea

Post by adelfio »

Where they all from Milazzo, Messina and do you have Carmela D Andrea and Santo La Rosa marriage act?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Re: La Rosa/ D AndreaR

Post by marymary52 »

I am not sure where they are from. I have My great grandmother death cert. Said that her Mother was Carmela D Andrea and Her father was Santo La Rosa, I have two translation of a letter and in the letter she writes about not being able to go "Down"to Messina any more because of her age. (86) Messina and Palmero is all the info I have from my family. (No marriage act )
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

I am not sure where they are from. I have My great grandmother death cert. Said that her Mother was Carmela D Andrea and Her father was Santo La Rosa, I have two translation of a letter and in the letter she writes about not being able to go "Down"to Messina any more because of her age. (86) Messina and Palmero is all the info I have from my family. (No marriage act )
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

I found where a Giacomo Maisano on 10/4/1901 63 yrs Last place of Residence: Settasghanta??? I could not find Settasghanta ? Maybe it's Settingiano? Giacomo was going to see his wife Maria in New York. Giacomo was married to a Maria La Rosa date of birth 2/9/1866 . In the letter I have, my mother said it was Grandma La Rosa, she wrote she could not travel DOWN to Messina to see her daughter Gannovinna SP? Because of her age. How do I find out if
caremla D Andrea and Santo La Rosa had a daughter Maria La Rosa and Gannovinna La Rosa and if Maria La Rosa Married Giacomo Maisano. I was guessing they were from Messina but with the record of Giacomo that I found maybe I was wrong.
Maybe Giacomao was from Settingiano? I don't have any info on his parents. Thank You, Margaret Mary
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

I did find another Giacomo Maisano from Messina. So I am not sure which one is right.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

Hello, Now I think It is Maria D'astro and and Giannovinna Dastro Parents Santi - or Santo Dastro and Carmela Dandrea. I don't don't know where the La Rosa came from. Maybe Carmela Dandrea died and he married again to a Maria La rosa?
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

Hello, Now I think It is Maria D'astro and and Giannovinna Dastro, Parents Santi - or Santo Dastro and Carmela Dandrea. I don't don't know where the La Rosa came from. Maybe Carmela Dandrea died and he married again to a Maria La Rosa? In Santa Margherita Sicily? I looked on Family search but I didn't find anything. I need help with this one.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, after the crash server abt 1 year ago, better to post what I remember of your search:
the 1900 census abt Mary La Rosa Maisano and her husband Jacob Maisano (Giacomo Maisano)
1900 United States Federal Census about Mary Masano
Name: Mary Masano

Birth Date: Jan 1865
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1900: Brooklyn Ward 6, Kings, New York
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1896
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Jacob Masano
Marriage Year: 1896
Years Married: 4
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Mother: number of living children: 2
Mother: How many children: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Jacob Masano 40 b. Oct 1859 IT imm. 1890
Mary Masano 35
Mary Masano 3 b. Jul 1896 NY
Nunsio Masano 1 b. Feb 1899 NY

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... h=66475930

Giacomo arrival:
New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Graconio Maisano
Name: Graconio Maisano ( = Giacomo Maisano)
Arrival Date: 18 Aug 1890
Birth Date: abt 1858
Place of Origin: Mesfina
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy and Gibraltar
Destination: New York
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Birmania

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... turnRecord

Giacomo death record:
Maisano Giacomo 45 y Jun 28 1904 13033 (1904) Kings 1858 - 1859
hoping helpful
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

Thank you suanj. I am still trying to find who the old women in the picture. My mom said grandma La Rosa. I am thinking it was her great grandmother Carmela D'andrea married to Santi D'astro in Santa Marghertia sicily. Not sure who the women in the other picture with the name Maria La Rosa is. So many Maria La Rosa's and I looked for hours and hours for any kind of a connection I may not ever find out who she is. I am hoping to go to a reunion with the Ruggiero- Dastro family and I will be bring my pictures' and praying someone else has the same pictures. Thanks again, Margaret Mary
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

marymary52 I believe that in your search are a bit of confusion...
by US documents you know that Maria La Rosa parents was Santo La Rosa and Carmela D'Andrea? if yes, the letter with picture of old woman was addressed to Maria La Rosa in USA?
so the old women must be Carmela D'Andrea La Rosa... the birth place must be in Messina or some Commune in Messina province.. and the other similar names found by other ship's manifest are no pertaining your search...
the genealogist working by certain documents...
I remember that in the old topic vanished by server crash, I found also a sister of Maria La Rosa.. but I no remember the birthplace... if Milazzo or Messina... and the birthyear...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

On post 8001 has some documents but are confusing, If her last name was Dastro and her mother last name Dandrea Where did the last name La Rosa come from? I will keep trying by order death and Marriage Documents and hopefully I will find the answers.
The pictures are of two different women and two different times. The old picture that my mother said was La Rosa is very very old looks like 1800's and she was 86. And the picture with the writing on the back with the words Maria La Rosa was in 1929 she was 70-75 years old. I don't know where it was taken here or Italy?? Two different photo's with two different ladies, But my mother told me they where both La Rosa's (she was confused.) I think the OLd picture is of Carmela D'andrea writing a letter to her daughter(My great grandmother maria) and in the letter she writes about Giennavanna I think she is her sister who married a Ruggieri living in Hopewell NJ with a Jennie Amato I have order some documents on Jennie Amato too see if there is a connection. Every time I find something a new name comes up and it becomes a new journey of my Genealogy; All my document that I order from NY was accidentally thrown away so I am now reordering them :(
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes I understand your idea; Giovanna D'Astro came in USA in 1901 coming from Santa Margherita di Belice; joining at her sister Maria in 98 Union st Brooklyn, that is the same address of Mary Maisano (nee La Tosa ?) in 1900 census; Giovanna married on 23 Jul 1905 in Brookln at Giuseppe Ruggieri:
Ruggieri Giuseppe Jul 23 1905 6090 (1905) Kings 1562560 D'Astro, Giovanna
by ship's manifest Giovanna was born around 1873, I know not if she was born in Santa Margherita di Belice, however I searched from 1872 births to 1873 births and I no found a Giovanna birth by D'Astro or La Rosa surname.. I found a foundling, named by clerk with the name of Giacoma La Rosa born on 18 dec 1872 daughter of unknown parents...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :714987802
Giovanna d' Astro and Joseph Ruggieri lived in Hopewell, NJ and here her gravestone
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... i=27143914
the her birthyear is 1875 and maybe the age on the ship's manifest is wrong..
however it is a big mystery...
suanj

so it is a big mistery

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that Santa Margherita on Giovanna D'Astro ship's manifest, It is no abt Santa Margherita di Belice, but Santa Margherita hamlet of Messina.. that make sense...

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Maria D'Astro born in Santa Margherita of Messina on 9 Feb 1865 daughter of Santi D'Astro 30 old, farmhand and of Carmela D'Andrea
pag 1
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 6.jpg.html
pag 2 http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH