Nicola Caivano family, Picerno (Potenza)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nacboy

Nicola Caivano family, Picerno (Potenza)

Post by nacboy »

A while back somebody wrote this about the mothers side of my family, i think they hired somebody....

It talks about the nicola caivano family being a "wealthy family" and i do remeber somebody telling me that they were nobility or something.

Carmini Caivano would be my great great grand-mother, and her daughter francesca mary priore was born October 19, 1892 at ten o’clock a.m. in Via Pantano, No. 144, Picerno, Prov. Di-Potenza (Basilicata), Italy.

I was wondering if i could trace the nicola caivano family back further, i would also like to know about my other ancestors but my dad never knew his father, and my mothers father (Albert Marsicane)'s father was a farmer from pisciotta (where vito priore, carmini's husband later moved), and i dont think i would be able to find much information there.

Anyway, i think it's a neat story about how carmini fell in love with the shephard that worked for her family and they ran off together, but yeah i would appreciate any help i could get.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Nicola Caivano family, Picerno (Potenza)

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

Have you tried contacting by e-mail the person who posted the story? Perhaps they would be willing to share sources or documentation with you.
You have an abundance of information here, you just need to verify it.

Here are the records available for Picerno for 1809 - 1910.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

You can use the microfilm to trace the birth, death and marriage records for the Nicola Caivano family. If they were noble or wealthy land owners usally their titles are recorded in records. In my research I have noticed there are usually several familes recored with the terms Don, Donna or Signor before their names.

Debbie
nacboy

Post by nacboy »

Hey, thank you very much. The truth is that the people in my family dont know very much about what happened in picerno, they consider the family history to have started in pisciotta, so nobody has much information.

And about those records, do i have to order it? And if so, how do i do that.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

The microfilm is available from your local family history center of the LDS church. You do not have to be a church member to use the facilities. Microfilm usually costs about $3.50 a roll to rent. After you order, it takes about 2 weeks to get the film. Remember the records are all in Italian.

To find a FHC near you:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Debbie
nacboy

Post by nacboy »

!!! there is one relatively close to me, but i have yet to find the time to get there :(

Anyway, i found this page, and it mentions several caivano's in picerno. The problem is that i can't make heads or taisl of it even with babelfish. However, in the page titled "itinerari picernesi" (routes of picerno?), it mentions "palazzo Caivano" which would be caivano palace right? As in the palace of the caivano's? I don't really knwo, im just trying to dig up what i can...

I also have a question about the italian name "nick," there were a few Nicholas Caivano's mentioned on that page, is that the same as "nicola," and also, my name is nicholas, and my grandpa always pronounces it like "nigole" is that the same thing?

thanks
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi nick of Nicholas is just Nicola, yes is same thing...
here are someother Caivanos (misspelled)from Picerno http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore ... &dwpdone=1
http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore ... &dwpdone=1
and an Nicola Caicano(misspelled) from Forenza (Potenza province) but I cannot read the manifest, so is possible that was born in other place.
http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore ... &dwpdone=1
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nacboy

Post by nacboy »

Thank you very much! I'm trying to look for the history of the family in picerno, but those could very well help me in figuring out who's-who in the family.

I've been looking at some italian websites which seem to point to at least one caivano as a priest? I just read something that translated to "don Nicholas Caivano, Priest of Picerno," however, i think it may have been a book review.
As you can see it's very confusing trying to translate italian websites, or figure out what the translations really mean.

Regardless i'm making progress (I now realize how incredibly stupid it was of me to narrow my google search results to english pages only), and thanks everyone for the help.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

nacboy wrote:Thank you very much! I'm trying to look for the history of the family in picerno, but those could very well help me in figuring out who's-who in the family.

I've been looking at some italian websites which seem to point to at least one caivano as a priest? I just read something that translated to "don Nicholas Caivano, Priest of Picerno," however, i think it may have been a book review.
As you can see it's very confusing trying to translate italian websites, or figure out what the translations really mean.

Regardless i'm making progress (I now realize how incredibly stupid it was of me to narrow my google search results to english pages only), and thanks everyone for the help.
is most possible that was an priest of Picerno, and about your story family, what you need especially?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nacboy

Post by nacboy »

What i want to learn about is the history of caivano's (and possibly priore's) in picerno. Most of my family hisotry is well documented. I know everything that happened after my great great grandfather moved to pisciotta, i know which parts of the family came to america etc.

The part i know nothing about is the families that my gggrandfather (vito priore) and gggrandmother (carmini caivano) came from. This is because carmini ran away from her family when her parents wouldnt let her marry vito (who was a shephard who worked for the family), or the sotry goes something like that. Anyway, I would like to know about the nicola caivano family, and also the priore family from picerno, but ive tried to look into the priores from picerno and it hasnt gotten me far.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

nacboy wrote:What i want to learn about is the history of caivano's (and possibly priore's) in picerno. Most of my family hisotry is well documented. I know everything that happened after my great great grandfather moved to pisciotta, i know which parts of the family came to america etc.

The part i know nothing about is the families that my gggrandfather (vito priore) and gggrandmother (carmini caivano) came from. This is because carmini ran away from her family when her parents wouldnt let her marry vito (who was a shephard who worked for the family), or the sotry goes something like that. Anyway, I would like to know about the nicola caivano family, and also the priore family from picerno, but ive tried to look into the priores from picerno and it hasnt gotten me far.
About Vito PRIORE family and Carmina CAIVANO family, for know about parents and siblings you can see the Mormons microfilm, or, if already know the name father (of Vito and of Carmina) you can write in Commonal office, andyou can ask an "Certificato storico di Famiglia/family story certificate" to name of Vito's fatherand one to name Carmina's father suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH