Re: Monastra, Pettignano, & De Masi surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chay50

Post by chay50 »

Hi, I'm new to this site and need some help. Trying to find out information on my grandfather Santo Monastra and his brother Francesco Monastra. Santo was born Nov 20, 1893 in San Salvatore di Fitalia, Sicily, and his brother was born August 1884. When Santo was 8 yrs old, his mother Rosa Pettignano put him in an orphanage because his father Felippe had died. Francesco immigrated to the US in 1906 and lived in the Bronx, NY. He died from the influenza in 1918 and a Rosalia De Masi who lived in the same apartment building took care of his buriel.
I have already written to the town hall in San Salvatore and they could find no info for me. If any body recognizes these names or may be related please let me know, I would be very grateful. Thanks chay50

PS Other spellings I have found are Munastra and Pittignano
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

This boat record was an Ellis Island mis-link.... somehow the file was not linked properly and you would have seen someone elses record...

First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Munastra
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: S. Salvatore, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Aug 04, 1906
Age at Arrival:  21y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Algeria (1891)
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0028

http://img271.imageshack.us/img271/6959/munastra7dn.jpg

Looks like he would be joining friend Celeste Salvatore on 993 Washington Ave, in New York

Hope he is the one you are looking for.
mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

chay50 wrote:Hi, I'm new to this site and need some help. Trying to find out information on my grandfather Santo Monastra and his brother Francesco Monastra. Santo was born Nov 20, 1893 in San Salvatore di Fitalia, Sicily, and his brother was born August 1884. When Santo was 8 yrs old, his mother Rosa Pettignano put him in an orphanage because his father Felippe had died. Francesco immigrated to the US in 1906 and lived in the Bronx, NY. He died from the influenza in 1918 and a Rosalia De Masi who lived in the same apartment building took care of his buriel.
I have already written to the town hall in San Salvatore and they could find no info for me. If any body recognizes these names or may be related please let me know, I would be very grateful. Thanks chay50

PS Other spellings I have found are Munastra and Pittignano
hi chay, I've already replied
http://zeus28.net/goforum/viewtopic.php?t=312
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
chay50

Post by chay50 »

Thanks suanj and mfjp for all the info. It helps a lot.
Regards, chay50
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

chay50 wrote:Thanks suanj and mfjp for all the info. It helps a lot.
Regards, chay50
Hi chay,
you can say us the reply of San Salvatore di Fitalia municipality?
Why they find no your ancestors? I think that Pettignano is local surname in San Salvatore di Fitalia, so is very possible that Rosa was born here and married with Filippo Monastra that I think no was born in San Salvatore di Fitalia, because Monastra no tipical of this Common... but of this area yes... so most probable that when Filippo died, Rosa back in San Salvatore di Fitalia , because its birthplace.. this could be explane because in San Salvatore municipality they no find Santo's act...
More: the our dearest friend mfjp found the Francesco ship's manifest; well Francesco joining Salvatore CELESTE cousin; here are Salvatore CELESTE ship's manifest joining Vitanza people....in travel with many people of San Salvatore di Fitalia, and also an Pettignano person http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2184160499
This names meaning something for you?

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
chay50

Post by chay50 »

Hi Suanj:
I hit a gold mine with that manifest. Calogero Pettignano is related to Rosa, may be her nephew. Also on the same ship was Gaetano Munastra who I know is related and Antonino Germana who later married a Diana Monastra ( who I know was a sister to Fillipe Monastra. The other names I know nothing about but its possible that they could be all related. I think the Pettignano's are a large family compared to the Monastra's.
I think you are right, I think Fillipe was not born in San Salvatore. I have written a letter in Italian to the Archive in Messina to see if they have any records of my family. They may have originated in that region.
Ciao chay
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Re: Monastra, Pettignano, & De Masi surnames

Post by suanj »

Hi chay, really I see many ship's manifest and this is very interesting!! ehehe!!!
as already saying, in Messina archive are possible to ask the Liste di leva record( militar service) when no sure birthplace... I hope you made so.. also i think that Filippo was born in some Common nearest San Salvatore di Fitalia .. The San Salvatore municipality, when you request, what was the reply... you say that was negative reply.. also was possible to ask the records about Rosa Pettignano if you know the probable birthyear.. well Chay, I wish say you that I hope all well for you and for your search.. for that you need all memmebrs of italiangenealogy can help you... take care, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH