Family of Gaetano Nigro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran

Family of Gaetano Nigro

Post by Tanner »

Hi All,

I’ve hit a road block in my research. I’m looking for info on Gaetano Nigro. Here’s what I know:

Gaetano Francesco Nigro was born on February 5th, 1892 in either Valle dell’Angelo or Piaggine, neighboring towns in the Salerno province. His mother is confirmed to be Maria Rosaria Iannuzzi. His father is reported as being Barbato Nigro, but this is not confirmed. He died in Fort Lee, New Jersey on May 25th, 1975.

I’m looking for birth and death dates for Gaetano’s parents as well as any information on possible siblings. Also, I’m wondering which of the two towns he was born in. Any information is appreciated!

Thanks,

Tanner
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Family of Gaetano Nigro

Post by adelfio »

Nome: Gaetano Francesco Nigro

Classe: 1892

Comune di nascita: Valle dell'Angelo

Full text:

Nigro Gaetano Francesco di Barbato e Iannuzzi Maria Giovanna nato il 02/05/1892 a Valle dell'Angelo di professione

BIRTH RECORD PG LINK

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947713

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the marriage act of Gaetano's parents:
Emidio Barbato Nigro and Maria Giovanna Iannuzzi in 1891 in Valle ell'Angelo
Dated 16 April 1891
Groom: Emidio Barbato Nigro, 23, blacksmith born in Valle dell'Angelo and residing in said town; son of Gaetano and of Giuseppa Coccaro
Bride: Maria Giovanna Iannuzzi, 19, farmer residing in Valle dell'Angelo and residing in said town; daughter of Angelo and of Angela Coccaro.
Publication of banns on 29 March and 5 April of the current year.
The parents of the spouses were present to give their consent to the marriage.

And the birth act of Barbato Emidio Nigro (that is how it is written here) in 1868
#21 - dated 5 July 1868
Father: Gaetano Nigro, 43, farmer residing in this town in Strada Vallone
Mother: Giuseppa Coccaro, his wife.
The child was presented by the midwife, Giovanna Coccaro [daughter of deceased Carmine], 50, who declared that child was born on the 5th of July at noon, and was given the name Emidio Barbato.

Maria Giovanna Iannuzzi was born about 1872. Unfortunately, the birth records for 1870-1873 are missing...

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Merry Christmas T beat me to it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres some siblings of Barbato Nigro

Nome: Angelantonio Nigro

Classe: 1859

Full text:

Nigro Angelantonio di Gaetano e Coccaro Giuseppa nato il 27\2\1859 a Valle dell'Angelo di professione contadino

Nome: Francescantonio Nigro

Classe: 1861

Full text:

Nigro Francescantonio di Gaetano e Coccaro Giuseppa nato il 14/4/1861 a Valle dell'Angelo di professione Contadino

Nome: Rocco Teodoro Nigro

Classe: 1873

Full text:

Nigro Rocco Teodoro di Gaetano e Coccaro Giuseppa nato il 22\6\1873 a Valle dell'Angelo di professione contadino

Marty

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Ciao, Marty! :-)

We do good work!

T.
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tanner »

Thank you guys so much for your help! This is great information! I found a document stating Maria Giovanna Iannuzzi was born in 1863 but that is the only thing that does not at match. I’m guessing maybe the first Maria Giovanna died and another one was born and that was Gaetano’s mother. Everything else is perfect, thank you both again. Were there any siblings for Gaetano or was he an only child?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tanner wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 18:04 Thank you guys so much for your help! This is great information! I found a document stating Maria Giovanna Iannuzzi was born in 1863 but that is the only thing that does not at match. I’m guessing maybe the first Maria Giovanna died and another one was born and that was Gaetano’s mother. Everything else is perfect, thank you both again. Were there any siblings for Gaetano or was he an only child?

I found no siblings for Gaetano... so I checked deaths and found that Gaetano's father Barbato Nigro [son of Gaetano, and of Giuseppa Coccaro] died at the age of 25 in 1894 on the 17th of November. He was the husband of Maria Iannuzzi, and was by profession a blacksmith.
Death Act #13

AND***

His mother, Maria Giovanna Iannuzzi [daughter of Angelo and of deceased Angela Coccaro] died at age 25 in 1897 on 30 August. She was the widow of Barbato Nigro.
So Gaetano Nigro was orphaned at age 5...
Death Act #15

T.
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tanner »

Very interesting. So it is likely he was an only child. He had such a sad life. Not only was he orphaned at five, but his wife died at 25 after only five years of marriage. Plus, two of his three kids died as children. Thank you so much for this info. Thank you for your help!