Giovanni Tardito and Maria Capra

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lmd2018

Giovanni Tardito and Maria Capra

Post by lmd2018 »

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to trace my 3x Great Grandparents, all I know about them is they were Italian, their names, year of birth and where they were born:

Giovanni Tardito b.1845 in Borgofranco, Torino, Italy.
Maria Capra b.1845 in Borgofranco, Torino, Italy.

They had one son (as far as I know)

Charles Tardito b. 1858 in Ivrea, Torino, Italy.

Emigrated to the UK sometime in his mid teens, ended up in Dundee, Scotland. He also lived for a while in Sunderland, England (Where I'm from).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Giovanni Tardito and Maria Capra

Post by Tessa78 »

lmd2018 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 16:58 Hello Everyone,

I am trying to trace my 3x Great Grandparents, all I know about them is they were Italian, their names, year of birth and where they were born:

Giovanni Tardito b.1845 in Borgofranco, Torino, Italy.
Maria Capra b.1845 in Borgofranco, Torino, Italy.

They had one son (as far as I know)

Charles Tardito b. 1858 in Ivrea, Torino, Italy.

Emigrated to the UK sometime in his mid teens, ended up in Dundee, Scotland. He also lived for a while in Sunderland, England (Where I'm from).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Are you saying that Charles Tardito was born when his parents were both 13 years of age???? :shock:

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

T-
I agree that the dates are off. There are church records for Borgofranco d'Ivea on familysearch.org. They are accessible from a home computer. I can't find either of the surnames Tardito or Capra. I've checked a lot of the years. The Borgofranco records seem to start with image 1826 of 3078. Starting with image 1 you have records for the town of Burolo.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

Erudita
lmd2018

Post by lmd2018 »

Are you saying that Charles Tardito was born when his parents were both 13 years of age???? :shock:

T.
Yes, they were very young when they had him apparently, I am only going off research I have discovered, which is why I am trying to verify it. In a few newspapers I found regarding Charles criminal activities, he claimed he was born of Italian Parents in Lucerne, Switzerland. However, while he lived in my home city he wrote in the census records that his country of origin was "Ivrea, Italy" and he was deported back to Turin a few times after serving his prison sentences. I also have a feeling that Charles was not his birth name and he changed it for some reason.

I managed to contact someone on Italianside.com and they said that the Ivrea Diocese Archives are closed at least until September for technical reasons. So I can't really do any research before then.

As you can imagine this has been very confusing, yet what I have found out so far about him is fascinating :)