Suggestions?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mler
Master
Master

Suggestions?

Post by mler »

A few days ago I received an e-mail from a young man in Italy who apparently is part of my family (I had posted on a website of the town from which my maternal grandparents originated). I've been trying to trace our relationship by comparing his information to mine, but it is getting really complex.

My family history is based on the notes and genealogical connections made by my mother's cousin (now 86 years old). He has given me many names and dates, and I have tried to create genealogical charts for each segment of the family.

I now realize that this is not enough. Dividing the family tree into computer-sized segments does not allow me to see the connections among the various branches. In other words, I'm not seeing the whole picture. And the fact that there are still many gaps and inconsistencies makes this even more difficult.

Any suggestions on how to set up a family tree that, every day, is getting wider and wider?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Suggestions?

Post by nuccia »

Are you also using a software program like PAF or FTM to keep track of everything? FTM does have an option to print relationship charts between people. Its the only way I can keep track of everything.

As for your cousin..has he information that he has done working from himself backwards like you have done? I think that this might be something to think about...gaps are normal and very frustrating. But only time, patience and more research is going to fill them..

Wish I could offer more..
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

I aggree with Nuccia, FTM is such a great program, I live on it. Just work slowly and you will figure everything out.

Mike
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Thank you both for the FTM information. I will definitely check it out.

I'm a total novice at this. My mom's cousin wrote detailed narratives that are not always easy to understand, and unless I put it into some kind of order, all of it will someday disappear.

I think my young relative (probably a distant one) is doing a haphazard search. He's in law school, and he says that whenever he has the time he searches for Raviele's throughout the world. I was thrilled to get his letter, though, because it inspires me to get back to this whole genealogical stuff.

Thanks so much for your support.
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Post by louis41 »

Hi mler!
What you did is really interesting. How did you go about finding the website for the town?

Louis
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Hi Louis,
I was simply trying to find out more about the town, so I did a google search and its website popped up. It has a guestbook as part of it, in which many of the locals and a few non-locals (like me) post. I also met a relative in Toronto through the guestbook.
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Post by louis41 »

Thanks mler. I'll give that a try.

Louis