Italian Military Records 1906

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
John.Angelo

Italian Military Records 1906

Post by John.Angelo »

Hello...does anyone know were to look for Italian Military Records? I'm looking for a Lorenzo Maiuri b. 07.27.1889 (Ceprano, Italy). Changed his name after he came to USA to John Maiuri. d. 10.05.1964 John Maiuri Det. MI . He came to USA in 1907. I herd he was in the Italian Military (seems young to be in Military 17y)? He came to USA at 18, maybe he was in the USA Military?
Any help is appreciated
Thank You
John
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian Military Records 1906

Post by johnnyonthespot »

There are many threads on this topic; see this http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15694/ for example.

If he left Italy at age 17 he either was already excused from military service (typically for health reasons) or he left illegally. In that case, he may have been tracked down in the US and ordered to return to Italy for military service (happened to one of my uncles).

At the very least, the Lista di Leva should indicate if he was excused or was labelled a deserter.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Ceprano is currently a part of the province of Frosinone:

Archivio di Stato di Frosinone
Piazza De Matthaeis 41
03100 Frosinone
ITALY

Email: as-fr@beniculturali.it (remove the spaces)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

If Lorenzo never went back to Italy anymore, at Frosinone State archive you will find his military draft card stating that he never show up, so he was a deserter. Military record is for who really did military service. People of his age all left for WW1.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
John.Angelo wrote:Hello...does anyone know were to look for Italian Military Records? I'm looking for a Lorenzo Maiuri b. 07.27.1889 (Ceprano, Italy). Changed his name after he came to USA to John Maiuri. d. 10.05.1964 John Maiuri Det. MI . He came to USA in 1907. I herd he was in the Italian Military (seems young to be in Military 17y)? He came to USA at 18, maybe he was in the USA Military?
Any help is appreciated
Thank You
John
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

FYI...

Here is a POSSIBLE WWI Draft Registration for US
Address in Detroit.
Wife and sister in Italy...

Line 11 asks what military service he has had... answered "None"

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4073/maiuriwwi.jpg

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

If this is your John Mauiri, unless he married before he arrived in 1907, he probably returned to Italy and married there.

Here is a POSSIBLE 1920 Census for John and wife Marie. She immigrated in 1919.
He is listed as immigrated in 1913...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2941/m ... census.jpg

Look for a 1913 manifest!

T.