In need of a history lesson

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
EllenCatusco
Veteran
Veteran

In need of a history lesson

Post by EllenCatusco » 08 Feb 2019, 16:17

I was wondering why my Great grandfather left for America from the port of Bordeaux, France instead of the closer port of Naples? This was in the year 1882, is there a significance with leaving from this port. He was by all accounts a peasant. And traveling to France in those day I would imagine could be expensive. He was traveling with his younger brother and both arrived on same ship in America. His Wife and at least 1 child were still in Marsico nuovo at this time. He went back and got them a few years later.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: In need of a history lesson

Post by Tessa78 » 09 Feb 2019, 00:54

Can you post the link to the manifest?

T.

EllenCatusco
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EllenCatusco » 09 Feb 2019, 14:36

EllenCatusco
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EllenCatusco » 09 Feb 2019, 14:42

The manifest itself shows nothing. It just seems like a long journey to make. Especially with Naples so close.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 » 09 Feb 2019, 17:56

From what I could find about the steamship line that owned the Chateau Leoville - the routes were Bordeaux to New York and also some Naples/Palermo to New York voyages.

It is POSSIBLE that the company transported passengers from Naples/Palermo to Bordeaux and then to NY.

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines ... aise.shtml

Just for your records, here is the first page of the manifest for the Chateau Leoville for the voyage on which your ancestor sailed. Definitely originating in Bordeaux - but maybe only for the last part of his journey :-)

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... 7_451-0626

And here is the transcription of the entire manifest by the Immigrant Ship Transcribers Guild
https://immigrantships.net/v2/1800v2/ch ... 20120.html

T.

EllenCatusco
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EllenCatusco » 09 Feb 2019, 18:58

Thank You Tessa,

It makes sense to leave Naples and then on to France and then to NY. I couldn't see the sense in traveling all that way, when Naples was right there.

the ISTG is from January. But again just saying France departure.

Did they register at every port? Or did they change ships, like running through an airport to catch your connecting flight. I can't even imagine what it was like to take these voyages.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 » 10 Feb 2019, 16:11

EllenCatusco wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 18:58
Thank You Tessa,

It makes sense to leave Naples and then on to France and then to NY. I couldn't see the sense in traveling all that way, when Naples was right there.

the ISTG is from January. But again just saying France departure.

Did they register at every port? Or did they change ships, like running through an airport to catch your connecting flight. I can't even imagine what it was like to take these voyages.
I have done research on passengers who boarded ships in Palermo, and the ships then stopped in Naples and other ports to pick up additional passengers before making the Atlantic crossing. I have also read references/situations where immigrants could not book passage from Palermo, but were able to travel by boat from Palermo to Naples to board a NY bound steamer.

In some cases, immigrants had to wait in a city (such as Naples) for a day or so before the ship sailed. I agree, it is hard to comprehend the hardships some faced to make this travel.

T.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher » 11 Feb 2019, 09:14

I have heard that the French authorities were more lax about travel/identity documents. If he was of an age that he should be doing military service his local authorities would not give him permission to leave.
Ann Tatangelo
Tours, citizenship certificates and ancestral research in Italy
http://angelresearch.net
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

EllenCatusco
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EllenCatusco » 11 Feb 2019, 22:37

Tessa,

I had heard this before. And I wondered if that was the case. As far as I can tell he does not go back to Italy for another 5 or 6 years and then brings family over. I wasn't sure what conflicts were going on at that time. And this could be the very reason he goes to France.