Naming conventions for children born out of wedlock

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
calabresi
Rookie
Rookie

Naming conventions for children born out of wedlock

Post by calabresi »

I'm doing a relative's family history and came across a person whose parentage is listed as "padre incognito". A little more research showed that the mother was not married at the time of the child's birth.

The child was given a different surname than that of the mother, and I'm wondering if there was any custom around assigning that surname?

Ex. Mother's surname was "Votaro", child's surname was "Luttovenera", which roughly translates to "Holy mourning"... does that have something to do with it?

(Also, completely unrelated but I'm curious... the mother *may* have known who the father was, but I'm guessing for family reasons that he wasn't listed on the birth record?)

Thanks for your help!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Naming conventions for children born out of wedlock

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi

Are you able to post the record that you are referring to so that we can look at it.

Angela
calabresi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by calabresi »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 23:12 Hi

Are you able to post the record that you are referring to so that we can look at it.

Angela
Yes. Orti (Reggio Calabria) Nati 1823, Record #13

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

That was quick. Thank you.

I'm not sure what to make of it. In all the "padre ignoto" births that I personally have seen, the baby is normally given the mother's surname. This is the first one that I personally have seen that has been given a "unique" surname, which is what you would find in the birth record of an abandoned child. The normal procedure for an abandoned child would be for the official in the town to give the baby a Given name and a unique surname, at registration of birth. Normally the surname given would be one that would not be found in the town or close by. Some of the names were really bizzare, and some were names that were classic "foundling" names like Esposito (Exposed), Innocenti (innocent) etc. You can search about Italian foundling names here on the forum and also online.

What do you know about Giuseppe. Was he raised by his mother? Was she young. What I am reading is that "he (Giuseppe) was was born yesterday evening, 13 February 1823, 1 at night, in Maria Votano's own home, (who was?) without knowledge of the father, because she was without a husband.

It sounds to me like she didn't actually know who the father was, (assaulted?), or maybe this was how, "padre ignoto" births were worded in this particular town and time frame?

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Just continuing on from my previous post.

Here's the 1823 birth index: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

I'm now not sure what the word is after "non ...........? il Padre"

Angela
calabresi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by calabresi »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 01:41 Just continuing on from my previous post.

Here's the 1823 birth index: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Angela
My first impression when I read it was that it was some conjugated form of "conoscere" -- it would make the most sense in my opinion and the handwriting almost matches it.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

calabresi wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 02:12
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 01:41 Just continuing on from my previous post.

Angela
My first impression when I read it was that it was some conjugated form of "conoscere" -- it would make the most sense in my opinion and the handwriting almost matches it.
Absolutely! That was initially my thinking too, until I saw the index. To me it doesn't look the same as the record, but maybe it is. Do you speak Calabrese? It may be dialectal - and yes probably does just mean what I initially thought? I'll take another look later.

Angela
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

The index says "non conoscendosi il padre"="not being known his father".
Also, notice that the record says "Luttuvera", while baptism column and index, "Luttuvenera".
I agree that it might have some meaning, or similar sound to some (ancient) dialect word.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
calabresi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by calabresi »

Thanks, Pippo

Every following record has said Luttovenera, so that’s the spelling I’m going with. Appreciate it!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PippoM wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 09:23 The index says "non conoscendosi il padre"="not being known his father".
Also, notice that the record says "Luttuvera", while baptism column and index, "Luttuvenera".
I agree that it might have some meaning, or similar sound to some (ancient) dialect word.
Have you seen this before Pippo - ie where a child, whose mother's name is recorded on the Birth Act, is given a different surname?

Angela
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Yes, I think I've found some of such cases, though the "new" surname was often "Esposito".

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PippoM wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 09:39 Yes, I think I've found some of such cases, though the "new" surname was often "Esposito".
That's interesting. Thank you for getting back to me, Pippo. I hope you and your family are all keeping well. It's been a long few weeks.

Angela :)
calabresi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by calabresi »

Thank you both Angela and Pippo. Stay well :)
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Thank you, Angela. We are fine, but still locked, I can't say "in", but sure "here".
And how are you?

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

calabresi wrote: 01 May 2020, 01:17 Thank you both Angela and Pippo. Stay well :)
Happy to help. You stay well too :)

Angela