Simmaco Martora birth

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Simmaco Martora birth

Post by oilman19 »

Can you please translate this birth. I'm not sure I am reading the given name correctly.

Thank you,

Jim

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... th1882.jpg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Simmaco Martora birth

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

I have to agree with you that it looks like Simmaco. However, I didn't find that name among those on the web site Carmine posted.

For your reference
http://www.nomix.it/700s.php

The birth record is for the birth of Simmaco Martora, born on July 3, 1882, to Gennaro Martora, age 35, farmer; and Giuseppa Caserta, his wife at the house on Via Anfiteatro.

Witnesses: Alessandro Rauso and Francesco di Gennaro.

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

However Googling Simmaco turns up many instances of the name as both a given name and as a surname.

This web site, for a management firm, gives the origin of the name as Ancient Greek and says,

Simmaco, means “ a person who fights withâ€
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Actually the Pope Simmaco 359 to 369 wrote a letter to the emperor concerning christianization and the struggle against paganism which gives the name/surname validity as an imported and italianized surname/ name of Greek origin. =Peter=
~Peter~
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you all for the great info. Simmaco is a sibling of Matteo, who eventually emigrated to U.S.
Tessa, you found a manifest last week that indicated Matteo was visiting his brother Salvatore. Since I haven't found any birth record for Salvatore, I have to wonder if Simmaco and Salvatore are the same person.
Just thinking out loud.
Again, I appreciate everyone's help.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.