Translation Help Needed (for an Italian-themed tattoo)

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
EzioAuditore

Translation Help Needed (for an Italian-themed tattoo)

Post by EzioAuditore »

Hello all, it's nice to see that there's a language sub board here. I am getting a tattoo that's based on a series of games called "Assassin's Creed". The motto of the assassins in the game is "Nothing is true, everything is permitted". I wanted to get that translated into Italian so that the tattoo will be more original and authentic. I have found some translations through copious amounts of internet research.

"Nulla è vero, tutto è concesso"
"Niente è vero, tutto è concesso."
"Niente è vero, tutto è permesso"

I have a feeling that all of them are accurate, but if you guys could elaborate on which one sounds the most ancient, or have a better translation, that would work. The time period of the games spans from 1400-1500.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Translation Help Needed (for an Italian-themed tattoo)

Post by johnnyonthespot »

How authentic do you wish to be?

I suspect the "Italian" you are using in your examples did not even exist in 1400-1500. Even then, to be as true to the cause as possible (especially given the time frame), you may want to use Sicilian or Neapolitan dialect as opposed to standard Italiano which had its roots in the much more civilized Florence region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_language
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
EzioAuditore

Post by EzioAuditore »

Well, I don't guess it needs to be too authentic. A modern day Italian translation would work. I just want it to be accurate because I will stand by that phrase until the day I die. I think it means that everyone should find their own truth instead of having to fit in with organized religion or whatever it may be. You should do what it takes for you to be happy and you should do what it takes for you to find your own truth. I could get it in English, but since the game that I got it from is based in Italy, I feel that it should be translated to Italian.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

For what it's worth :-)

Based on your interpretation of the motto...

Trovate la vostra verità (You find your own truth)

OR - your third suggestion

Niente è vero, tutto è permesso
(Nothing is true, everything is permitted)

T.
EzioAuditore

Post by EzioAuditore »

Thank you very much! I'll post a picture up after I get the lettering put around it! I have the symbol and coloring on my arm already, I'm just in the process of finding a good handwriting-looking font right now.