Birth Certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie

Birth Certificate

Post by Debid76 »

Hello,

Hoping someone can translate the birth record #422, Balzante, Francesco. I have no information on his father, so hoping this might start me somewhere!

Here is the link:

http://antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/ ... ewsIndex=0

Thank you, in advance!

Deb
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Birth Certificate

Post by Tessa78 »

Debid76 wrote:Hello,

Hoping someone can translate the birth record #422, Balzante, Francesco. I have no information on his father, so hoping this might start me somewhere!

Here is the link:

http://antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/ ... ewsIndex=0

Thank you, in advance!

Deb
Hello Deb :-)

Record is dated 3 December 1895 at 11:20 at the town office in Triggiano
Appearing before the official was Antonio Balzante (son of ?), age 35, shoemaker; to declare that at noon on the 1st of the current month, to Serafina Defrenza daughter of deceased Michele, housewife, his wife living with him, was born a male child who he presented to the official and to whom was given the name FRANCESCO
Witness to the recording of the birth, Vincenzo Carbonara, 46, shoemaker; and Pietro Defrenza, 42, shoemaker.

T.
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Debid76 »

That was quick! :D

I knew his name was Antonio, and that's all I know. Glad I have an age at his sons birth now! I couldn't make out the father's name either :( I do have a possible marriage date, so off to look for that record!

Also, Francesco's date of birth is a surprise... I, well I guess he, has Dec. 15th on everything :?:

Thank you for your help!

Deb
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Debid76 wrote:That was quick! :D

I knew his name was Antonio, and that's all I know. Glad I have an age at his sons birth now! I couldn't make out the father's name either :( I do have a possible marriage date, so off to look for that record!

Also, Francesco's date of birth is a surprise... I, well I guess he, has Dec. 15th on everything :?:

Thank you for your help!

Deb

I think it says "d'ignoti" after the father's name (of unknown parents).

Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

erudita74 wrote:

I think it says "d'ignoti" after the father's name (of unknown parents).

Erudita
Good eyes!!!

T.
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Debid76 »

So he does not know who his parents are? Does this most likely mean he was an orphan? I've never seen this before.

Thank you for all your help!!

Deb
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Based on the marriage record, he obviously knew who his mother was, even though she wasn't specifically named in the record. A woman giving birth out of wedlock brought shame and dishonor to herself and her family, so this may be the reason why her name is not specifically stated in the documents. She did, however, appear at the marriage to give her consent to it, so other people in the town must have known who she was.
Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Debid76 wrote:That was quick! :D

Thank you for your help!

Deb

Hi Deb!

Here is the marriage record link for Antonio Balzante and Serafina Difronzo...
29 October 1881

http://antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/ ... 9.jpg.html

T.