I can't read the name

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

I can't read the name

Post by marymary52 »

I am trying to read the name from Ellis Island for a Giacomo Maisano. 0/4/1901 63yrs I need to know the name of the person on line #30 I think they are going to the same place 98 Union st They are coming from Settasghannta or Settingiano Also the name for Pietro ???????? line 25 Thank you
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: I can't read the name

Post by erudita74 »

marymary52 wrote:I am trying to read the name from Ellis Island for a Giacomo Maisano. 0/4/1901 63yrs I need to know the name of the person on line #30 I think they are going to the same place 98 Union st They are coming from Settasghannta or Settingiano Also the name for Pietro ???????? line 25 Thank you

They are coming from S. Margherita (Santa Margherita). Since the other towns on this manifest page appear to all be Sicilian, I believe it is one of the Santa Margherita frazioni (hamlets) in Sicily, but I can't tell which one. I don't think it is the town of Santa Margherita di Belice (Agrigento Province, Sicily), but rather one of the hamlets in Messina Province, Sicily. I believe the correct spelling of Giovanni's surname is D'Asta. He was going to his sister Maria.

Erudita
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

What about line #25 Pietro??? I want to know the last name
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is an earlier manifest for Giacomo Maisano and his wife, Maria D'Astro - from S. Margherita... going to Brooklyn (ARRIVAL 1896)

Lines 59 & 60 (five lines from top)

POSSIBLE frazioni as Erudita :D suggested...

Santa Margherita, comune of Lipari, Messina, Sicily

Santa Margherita, comune of Messina, Messina, Sicily

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

marymary52 wrote:What about line #25 Pietro??? I want to know the last name
Pietro's last name is Mandanaro and he was from the town of S. Stefano and going to Boston Mass-to a brother Salvatore
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Pietro does not seem to be related to, or traveling with, the others...
He lists S. Stefano as his residence, and Boston, Mass. as his destination...

If I had to guess, the surname looks like it might be Manganaro -
T.

Edit to add - Sorry for the duplication... I was editing when you posted :-)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Tessa78 wrote:
Pietro does not seem to be related to, or traveling with, the others...
He lists S. Stefano as his residence, and Boston, Mass. as his destination...

If I had to guess, the surname looks like it might be Manganaro -
T.

Edit to add - Sorry for the duplication... I was editing when you posted :-)

No problem. T. Good find on that passenger list.
Erudita
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

Maybe I have the Wrong Maisano :( :( There are so Many of them it's easy to cross them to the same families. I will keep looking and see what I can find :( :( :( :(
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

My Great grandmother was Married to a Giacomo Maisano He died and she Married a Stepho Providenti Mary's Parents were Santo's La rosa and Carmela D Andrea I am not sure where they were from. I was thinking maybe D Andrea was reallly D Astro. The son, Nunzio Maisano, sign the death cert.In New York of his mother Mary Maisano Providenti she died june 2 1942 76 years old.... I think I was told Mary could also be Maria???? Which Maria La Rosa Married a Maisano he died and married Providenti... So many name changes and so many Maisano's I can't keep up. I know if I keep looking I will find Where Santo La rosa and Carmela D Andrea/D'Asta came from. Thanks You for the help with the names. Margaret Mary
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

I just found out that my Great Great Grandfather Stefeno Providenti was born into a large family of ship builder in Mazzola Messina. I found someone on line and he sent me a photo of my Great Great Grandmother and her husband Providenti. I sent him photo's of old picture's that I had of them and they were a match! Small world!