1610 death certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
cj11788
Elite
Elite

1610 death certificate

Post by cj11788 »

Hello,

The attached 1610 death certificate is for Antonella Rindicella. I believe she is the wife of Agostino Rindicella. Unfortunately his name is not there but it looks like the name Federico is there. Could that be her birth name? Whats the other information on the third line? It seems common to other death certificates.

Grazie,

Chris
Attachments
Antonella death 1610.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: 1610 death certificate

Post by erudita74 »

Chris
Antonella was the daughter of deceased Rindicella of Monte (her father's first name is not given in the record). The other part you underlined concerning Federico Traina. He appears to be the person to whom she confessed before her death. (I believe the document reads "confessed in front of Federico Traina)." I'm not sure what the word is which appears directly after his name though, but I assume it is some sort of title of his. It was common for the dying person to have his/her last confession before death. The date of the confession was Sept 17th.
Erudita
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

Antonella, daughter of the late [first name missed] Rindicella of Monreale, confessed on September 17th by the Carmelite friar Federico Traina
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

I was just wondering where you were able to get a death record that old?
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ItalianbellaSA wrote:I was just wondering where you were able to get a death record that old?

Sue
There are microfilmed church records for some towns. You have to check the family search library catalog to see if there are any for the town(s) you need. Church records can go back to about the mid 1500s, or actually around 1562, but accessing records that far back is not always of value to your family history research. There were no standards concerning how those records were to be written. It was up to the individual priests to record whatever info they deemed necessary, so there are many with very limited information and it is often difficult to determine if a particular record is even for an ancestor. Some very early baptism records, for example, only have the name of the infant being baptized and possibly the father's name. Some very early death records only have the name of the deceased and date of death. Some early marriage records may only have the names of the fathers of the spouses but not of the mothers, etc.
Erudita
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Thank you very much for that information, Erudita.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ItalianbellaSA wrote:Thank you very much for that information, Erudita.

You're very welcome, Sue.
Erudita