Cusenza - Sparacino Marriage

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Cusenza - Sparacino Marriage

Post by sacesta »

This is the record of marriage of Ignazio Cusenza and Antonina Sparacino, my 3rd great grandparents.

Although I've identified Ignazio's parents as Joseph (Giuseppe) Cusenza and Antonina Sabena I'm having difficulty finding records for either of them. I began to suspect that Antonina Sabena is from somewhere other than the chiesa cattolica di San Silvestri Papa di Calatafimi. So I thought to go back to the record of marriage of their son, Ignazio.

Now I think that Antonina Sabena is, in fact, from the same parish in Calatafimi. My understanding of Latin is very limited, but the words olin coniunctus following Antonina Sabena's name seem to suggest to me that she is from this parish and town and I do not see an alternate parish name following those words.

I'm also unsure about the Latin after the dates of banns. It looks like nulloque (something) impedimi to me, and I'm sure it means no legitimate impediments, but I'm not sure how to read that middle word.

Io sono un po' confuso. Mi potete aiutare?

Steve

Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Cusenza - Sparacino Marriage

Post by erudita74 »

after Sabena's surname you have "olim coniugibus huius civitatis" -one time or former spouses of this town. She and her husband are both deceased
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Ignazio was also the former spouse of Caterina Bruno.

Yes, there were no legitimate impediments to the marriage detected-

nulloque (then there is the abbreviation for legittimo-not sure if this is the correct Latin spelling. I was thinking legitimatus, but the ending of the abbreviation suggests the other spelling to me). Then the word impedimento (abbreviated) followed by the word detecto (detected).
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Thanks Erudita! That confirms what I gleaned this record.

Still, I don't know why I'm having such difficulty finding Antonina Sabena's records. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing the surname Sabena (or it's probable variants) anywhere in my search in the records of Calatafimi. Nor is the name listed under Calatafimi on either of these two websites:

http://www.avitrees.com/town_info.jsp?t ... ce=Trapani

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognom ... cilia.html (although this site does show a handful of people currently living in Catania, Agrigento, Enna and Siracusa with the surname Sabina).

Hopefully, I'll find amplifying information on Giuseppe Cusenza's marriage record.

Steve
Steve Acesta

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Steve
I don't know what to tell you. After it says they were spouses at one time of this town, then there is et Matris (which would be the Mother Church-or parish). So they still were in the town when they were alive. Of course, she may not have been born in the town. He could have originated from Calatafimi and she from somewhere else. He may just have taken her back to the town to live with him and his family after their marriage somewhere else.
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I was uncertain about what exactly "olim coniugibus huius civitatis" meant. One time spouses of this town does not necessarily mean that either one of the couple were born or married there, just that they had lived in the town at one time (i.e. at the time of the marriage).

No doubt, Antonina is from somewhere else.

Thanks again Erudita!
Steve Acesta

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Steve
I'm on my way out. The meaning is that they were a married couple in the town when they were alive. The word "olim" is used because one or both are deceased.
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Ok. I see. Thanks!
Steve Acesta

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome, Steve. Happy to help.
Erudita