Surname Help & Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
calcinare

Surname Help & Translation

Post by calcinare »

Hello, can anyone suggest what the last name might be of Angela from this 1798 death record from Ripabottoni? Is it “di Gorzio”? The name does not appear to be common to the town.

If someone could also please briefly translate the document I would appreciate it. I am particularly curious who the Giuseppe di Iulio is mentioned towards the end, as well as what the word means that looks like “Ponima”.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname Help & Translation

Post by suanj »

Hi,
no Ponima but " rese l'anima al sommo Creatore" = "He gave his soul to the supreme Creator", so no Ponima but l'anima.
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Giuseppe de Iulio/Julio mentioned toward the end of the record was the "economo curato" of the parish. The abbreviation for these two words is what appears in the record. He was a priest who was appointed by the bishop, sometimes in the absence of the pastor, if he had died, to administer to the assets and souls of the parish. Sometimes he was appointed in the presence of the parish priest and served alongside him. Often this position served as a stepping stone in the priest's career which could lead to his appointment as parish priest, possibly even in another parish.

Erudita
calcinare

Post by calcinare »

Thank you both for the clarification and background information on the curate. I am still unsure what the Angela's surname was, but the rest of the record at least makes more sense to me now.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Happy to help. Having no luck with Angela's surname.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I am reading Angela di Gazio, although it might actually be spelt Digazio.

Angela
calcinare

Post by calcinare »

Thank you for the input. Gazio/DiGazio seems like a more common last name than Gorzio. It's a little odd to me because I've never come across the name before when researching the records from this area.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Happy to help. It's a pity that it is not the clearest. I'm not 100% about di Gazio. Maybe if you try looking for a siblings marriage record, it just may contain allegati with a clearer death extract in it? (The name may have even been mis-transcribed, which does happen.)

Angela :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

quote="calcinare"]Thank you for the input. Gazio/DiGazio seems like a more common last name than Gorzio. It's a little odd to me because I've never come across the name before when researching the records from this area.[/quote]

Angela
I think the third letter is an "r" and not a "z." Compare it to "a ben morire da me" which appears in the record. The second "r" in the word "morire" looks to me to be the same as what you deciphered as the "z" in Gorzio/Gazio, or di Gazio. I am thinking that the surname in the record is "di Iorio," which appears in the town, and that the first letter is not really the letter G. There is a slight variation in its formation from the other letter Gs in the document, at least to my eyes.

I had also initially considered the surname "di Fazio" which is found in the town, but the F in the word for February is formed very differently, and now I honestly don't believe the third letter is a z.

Hopefully there will be another document which clarifies the surname.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Erudita:
Yes, I know what you mean. I had noticed the second r in "morire" looked the same and wondered about that, and like you had also considered the name di Fazio and discounted it for the same reasons as you. It might possibly be "di Lorio". At the minute, I'm not really too sure what it is. Finding another document which includes the surname would be helpful like you say.

Angela
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
I believe that: "di Jorio" ( "di Iorio") could be right..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you, Suanj.
Angela
calcinare

Post by calcinare »

Thank you all again for your help! I had not even considered that the third letter could be an "r". The di Iorio name would make much more sense for the town. I will look around for further records as suggested, but it is a bit complicated as Giovanni Cappuccilli had a second wife, and only the one child he had with Angela seems to have lived past the start of civil registration. I was lucky to find this one reference to her that appeared in one of the grandchildren's marriage files.