Please help me translate the 1707 marriage of Giuseppe di Meo and Maria Guzzetta

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Please help me translate the 1707 marriage of Giuseppe di Meo and Maria Guzzetta

Post by liviomoreno »

26 Apr 1707
Giuseppe Di Meo son of Antonino and deceased Rosalia Di Meo
Maria daughter of deceased Giovanni and Alessandra (not sure if she's living...) Guzzetta
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Please help me translate the 1707 marriage of Giuseppe di Meo and Maria Guzzetta

Post by erudita74 »

Giuseppe di Meo was a widower at the time of this marriage. His former spouse was deceased Antonina Costa of Monreale.

Maria was from the town of Piana dei Greci, now Piana degli Albanese, but had lived in Monreale from childhood.

Erudita
Edward Keeports
Elite
Elite

Post by Edward Keeports »

liviomoreno wrote:26 Apr 1707
Giuseppe Di Meo son of Antonino and deceased Rosalia Di Meo
Maria daughter of deceased Giovanni and Alessandra (not sure if she's living...) Guzzetta
Thank you Livio!
erudita74 wrote:Giuseppe di Meo was a widower at the time of this marriage. His former spouse was deceased Antonina Costa of Monreale.

Maria was from the town of Piana dei Greci, now Piana degli Albanese, but had lived in Monreale from childhood.

Erudita
Thank you Erudita!

2 questions
1. Does this mean that death records for Maria's parents would be in the Monreale church books.
2. According to Wikipedia, Piana degli Albanese is an Albanian settlement. Does this mean Maria was likely ethnically Albanian?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

To answer your questions-yes, it's possible the death records for Maria's parents would be among the Monreale records. Her mother though WAS alive at the time of the marriage. Her death date would be after the date of her daughter's marriage, but the priest did not provide her "maiden" name, so it will be difficult to locate her death record. I also think her mother's first name is Aleonora.

As to whether or not Maria had Albanian heritage, I think it’s very possible based on the info in the following link:

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/regional ... aly/36735/

Erudita
Edward Keeports
Elite
Elite

Post by Edward Keeports »

Thank you Erudita!

Do you know if the church records for Piana degli Albanese are available on FamilySearch?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The church records for the town are not available on family search. However, there are some extracted records for the town- beg in 1820-available at the following link:

http://www.calabriaexchange.com/Links/Sicily.html

Piana degli Albanesi - Piana degli Albanesi Birth, Marriage and Death Records 1820-1910
Piana degli Albanesi - Santa Cristina Gela Birth, Marriage and Death Records 1820-1902

Erudita