Antonio Marotta Wedding 1888

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
FMMarotta
Rookie
Rookie

Antonio Marotta Wedding 1888

Post by FMMarotta »

Attached is a marriage record for Antonio Marotta.

Can someone please help with a translation?

Thank you.

Frank
Attachments
1888AntonioWed.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Marotta Wedding 1888

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi there

The image you've posted here is not the Marriage Record. It is a marriage pubblication/bann which was necessary in order for the marriage to take place. It's a little bit blurry and I think that the clerk may have made some errors so the following is my interpretation. Hopefully, someone else will take a look incase I've misinterpreted.

Marriage Bann No 2: Antonio Marotta and Luigia Renzi
Squille: 23 September 1888, 8 am
Prospective Groom: Antonio Marotta, 39, contadino, residing Squille, son of Pasquale, 63, Massaro (Steward/Farm Manager), residing Squille and the deceased Agnella? (surname not given)

The following doesn't read correctly so this is what I think it is meant to read.

Prospective Bride: Luigia Renzi, 26, daughter of Michele, contadina, residing Squille, daughter of Rosaria Formato???, 58, contadina, residing Squille. (or Rosaria's surname isn't given and it just says - formato- format??? but I don't know what this means. I've not seen this before.)

The groom was born in Squille and the bride was born in M.........?

I'm understanding that this was to be a second marriage for Antonio. His first wife had died and her name looks to be Rosa Santabarbara?​

Banns were posted 23 September 1888, 30 September 1888, 4 September (they must mean 4 October 1888)

Angela
FMMarotta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FMMarotta »

Thank you for your help Angela.

Frank
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The bride's place of birth may have been Mezzano, a frazione or hamlet, of the town of Caserta. I'm also wondering if the first wife was Rosa Santa Barbarosa.

Erudita
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

erudita74 wrote: 17 Mar 2017, 14:25 The bride's place of birth may have been Mezzano, a frazione or hamlet, of the town of Caserta. I'm also wondering if the first wife was Rosa Santa Barbarosa.

Erudita
I read Rosa Santabarbara
FMMarotta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FMMarotta »

Erudita,

Thank you very much for helping me.

I also have the Atti di Matrimonio.

Does this have additional information?

Thank You.

Frank
Attachments
AntonioAtti1888.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Re the Marriage Record you have just posted here, there is conflicting information.

Groom's mother's name is: Girolama Audi

Bride's place of birth: Dugenta

I'm just using my laptop which isn't as clear, so will connect it to laptop later to have another look to compare the two records.

Angela
FMMarotta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FMMarotta »

Angela,

Thanks for responding.

Pasquale Marotta and Giroloma Audi from Squille would be my great grandparents.

I think Pasquale is mentioned on the Publication of Matrimony for Antonio that I sent to you.

Let me know if you find any more information.

Frank
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

So this last record that you have posted here, and the one that you messaged me, is the Marriage Act/Marriage Record.

Bride's name differs here: Luisa Renzi

Edit to add: There are records on line for Dugenta here at family search: https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2475030
and also on the Antenati Site: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... o/Dugenta/ I'm not sure though how helpful they will be to you at this stage, without further information.

(It looks like the records available at family search need to be viewed at a local centre so try the antenati site.)

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

The only other thing I wanted to add is that the marriage took place in Squille, 4 October 1888, 11 am, Marriage Act No 2.

Not sure whether you realise that some records for Squille are online here, included with the Castel di Campagnano Records: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043630

You'll basically have to start at the beginning and sift through them. If you look at the thumb nail view, you can see that there are indices at the end of each annual register.

If you find any other records needing to be translated, just post the url to the image. :)

Angela
FMMarotta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FMMarotta »

Angela,

Thank you very much for translating the two documents.

If I find additional Italian Records, I will post them.

Frank
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Happy to help. Good luck with looking through the records that are on line.

Angela