Translation of "stato elle anime"

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
brianpatrickross

Translation of "stato elle anime"

Post by brianpatrickross »

I was able to recover a document called "Stato elle anime" that has a wealth of genealogical information about my family. There are also some notes at the top of the page that I was hoping to get some help translating. See link below:

https://ibb.co/keA8RQ - Stato elle anime 1869

Thank you in advance!
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Translation of "stato elle anime"

Post by PippoM »

"Questa famiglia è detta dei Foladori per l'ordigno che hanno in casa. E' antichissima di Malonno, e sempre in discreto stato di sostanze, ma sempre di Malonno. Vedi cugini e zio civ. 209"
"This family is said 'Foladori' because of the machinery they have at home. It's very ancient in Malonno, and always well-off, but always in Malonno. See also cousins and uncle at #209"

It's harder for me to say what a Foladore is...
I found that the origin of surname Follador and similar is connected to the "follatura" (I didn't know that).
The "follatura" is a process for the impermeabilization of textiles (or also a process for the pressing of must, but I don't know if a machinery was needed for it).
A man who was a "follatore" was also called a "gualcheraio".
So, maybe the machinery your ancestors had at home (called "follone" or "gualchiera"), was something like what you can see here:

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gualchiera

P.S.: the document is called "Stato Delle Anime"
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
brianpatrickross

Re: Translation of "stato elle anime"

Post by brianpatrickross »

Thank you Pippo! I've seen other reference to "foladore" in other genealogical documents and this helps me to confirm what that word actually means.