Bari

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Bari

Post by darkerhorse »

Does anyone have access to records from Bari, Italy dated prior to 1800? The earlier, the better.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Bari

Post by erudita74 »

Are you talking the city of Bari or the Province of Bari? You will need church records which don't appear to be available for any of the cities in that province (you would need to write directly to the parish(es) and give a hefty donation, if the priest or parish administrator is even willing to help you), unless, of course, you get lucky and someone on this forum has access to them. Or you will need the catasto onciario, which is similar to the riveli of Sicily. From time to time, I have seen transcriptions of some of those online. I did see the catasto onciario online for Bovino which is in Bari Province. I have also seen some publications around with those census records, but they are extremely expensive to purchase. There was an organization for the Basilicata region (it may have dealt with other regions as well) which used to be online, and it wanted the equivalent of over 600 U.S. dollars for a copy of one of the years for one of my ancestral towns in Matera Province. Of course, I never bothered with it, due to the cost.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Bari

Post by darkerhorse »

Thanks.