Search found 2659 matches

by PippoM
Yesterday, 09:07
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Latin document translation help
Replies: 4
Views: 111

Re: Latin document translation help

I thought you owned the reliquary, so I did not say anything about it... It's a round metal case, closed with crystal, tied with a red silk thread, and marked with the Postulator's seal. I found that fakes were usually xeroxed from originals, so, if it's in your hands, you should be able to tell if ...
by PippoM
19 Feb 2018, 13:20
Topic: Latin document translation help
Replies: 4
Views: 111

Re: Latin document translation help

This is a "certificate of authenticity" of relics contained in a crystal religuary, made up of bones of Saint Anthony from Padua, ashes of Sain Francis of Assisi, and something else of Saint Felix of Cantalice that I could not understand. Nicola Ferrante (you can search in Internet for further info)...
by PippoM
19 Feb 2018, 12:39
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Please help me locate my relatives.
Replies: 3
Views: 66

Re: Please help me locate my relatives.

Surname might be Riscignolo, today present in Scordia, Catania. Unfortunately, birth records for 1893 are not available online. There are some church records here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1913868?availability=Family%20History%20Library but I could not find the marriage you mention
by PippoM
19 Feb 2018, 12:18
Topic: Catalfamo/DiMario family of Furnari, Messina
Views: 48

Re: Catalfamo/DiMario family of Furnari, Messina

Here

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

you can find older records, and look for parents' ones.
by PippoM
19 Feb 2018, 12:14
Topic: Catalfamo/DiMario family of Furnari, Messina
Views: 48

Re: Catalfamo/DiMario family of Furnari, Messina

This is Ignazia Giovanna Di Mario's birth record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9B3D-ZNF?i=2707&cat=545155 She was the daughter of Giuseppe, 26 years old, carpenter, and Carmela Zumbo I think this is Giuseppe's birth record, though this one was born on oct 26th: https://www.family...
by PippoM
19 Feb 2018, 12:04
Topic: Cira Cangelosi / Cataldo
Replies: 1
Views: 26

Re: Cira Cangelosi / Cataldo

Bagheria records are online at FamilySearch.org up to 1903
if your grandmother was born before that, you can start from then.
by PippoM
19 Feb 2018, 11:59
Topic: Any sites for old newspaper archives? To find report of my great great grandfathers murder
Views: 38

Re: Any sites for old newspaper archives? To find report of my great great grandfathers murder

Some of the most important newspapers have their historica orchive online (free or not).
When did that happen?
by PippoM
19 Feb 2018, 11:57
Topic: How to find correct comune of birth in Rome?
Replies: 2
Views: 44

Re: How to find correct comune of birth in Rome?

Can you tell us your GF's name?
Birth records for Rome are available online, so, first, I'd check if he can be found there.
by PippoM
19 Feb 2018, 10:48
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Vapor Minas 22/09/1901
Views: 44

Re: Vapor Minas 22/09/1901

Incostante è un cognome molto raro, probabilmente assegnato a trovatelli. Da una ricerca su FamilySearch, l'unica Teresa Incostante che compare è nata a Sessa Aurunca il 9 febbraio 1853. La data è quindi compatibile con quella riportata sul manifesto di sbarco. Il cognome Iannotta è anch'esso presen...
by PippoM
19 Feb 2018, 10:29
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Contrada ?
Views: 112

Re: Contrada ?

You 're welcome, Sue. Glad to have been able to explain!
by PippoM
15 Feb 2018, 09:55
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Contrada ?
Views: 112

Re: Contrada ?

The meaning may vary based on the area of Italy. According to my experience "contrada" in Central Italy is usually an area of town, whereas in Southern Italy is a rural area belonging to the town, but out of it. Of course, some "contrada"'s were so small that they reduced to a street and the houses ...
by PippoM
12 Feb 2018, 09:14
Topic: Out in Left Field
Replies: 7
Views: 141

Re: Out in Left Field

Well, I could not find the notice that the document you posted is attached to. However, what I understand is that the people who are mentioned had been assigned land that was property of Town. As I understand, it is now possible to get full ownership of the land for very little money. However, remem...
by PippoM
08 Feb 2018, 14:51
Topic: First Names
Replies: 5
Views: 122

Re: First Names

It really depended on how the 's' or 'z' was pronounced. I meant, in written documents. I'm from Salerno area, and the local pronunciation is with a "z" (or, better, "Fonz' "), though it is written with "s". And we smile when we hear someone from the North say it with an "s", as it actually should ...
by PippoM
08 Feb 2018, 11:36
Topic: First Names
Replies: 5
Views: 122

Re: First Names

Nowadays, you will always find Alfonso/a (or Alfonsina).
In the past, all the four, as Tessa said. :-)