Search found 16 matches
- 23 Jun 2005, 06:10
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: nevermind
- Replies: 7
- Views: 7922
- 17 Jun 2005, 21:12
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: nevermind
- Replies: 7
- Views: 7922
- 17 Jun 2005, 19:42
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Puccio Surname
- Replies: 8
- Views: 10540
Re: Puccio Surname
I posted the original message looking to see if any relatives might be using this web page as well and could answer questions that I can\'t seem to do from the resources that I have. I would like to know the towns where my family came from, if their parents had any siblings, which year they were ...
- 17 Jun 2005, 19:24
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: nevermind
- Replies: 7
- Views: 7922
nevermind
message deleted
- 26 Jan 2005, 23:29
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Sicilian dialect
- Replies: 73
- Views: 102271
Re: Sicilian dialect
Correct! 
- 30 Dec 2004, 23:45
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Sicilian dialect
- Replies: 73
- Views: 102271
Re: Sicilian dialect
No problem Peter! 
- 30 Dec 2004, 16:37
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Sicilian dialect
- Replies: 73
- Views: 102271
Re: Sicilian dialect
Good question! A lot of Sicilians use teniri but at the same time some use aviri. It's kind of a choice all the time except when you have something in your HANDS. Then it's mandatory to use teniri.
For instance, you can say:
Aiu nu gattu (I have a cat)
or
Tegnu nu gattu (I hold, I keep a cat)
The ...
For instance, you can say:
Aiu nu gattu (I have a cat)
or
Tegnu nu gattu (I hold, I keep a cat)
The ...
- 29 Dec 2004, 20:44
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Sicilian dialect
- Replies: 73
- Views: 102271
Re: Sicilian dialect
Ciau cumpà, sugnu cuntenta ca bona sì tu! :-)
You could always write in Sicilian. Never be ashamed of writing Sicilian. Sicilian is not outdated.. I say this because almost all Sicilians speak Sicilian with one another and Italian in school or to tourists. They say it's outdated because ...
You could always write in Sicilian. Never be ashamed of writing Sicilian. Sicilian is not outdated.. I say this because almost all Sicilians speak Sicilian with one another and Italian in school or to tourists. They say it's outdated because ...
- 29 Dec 2004, 02:19
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Sicilian dialect
- Replies: 73
- Views: 102271
Re: Sicilian dialect
You left out BEDDU which is masculine for word beautiful and referring to a son you would say FIG-YU BED-DOO in english Phonetic. Of course Figya Bedda is the feminine for a daughter or whatever. peter
Either way the pronounciation is interchangable. Figghiu beddu means beautiful son and figghia ...
Either way the pronounciation is interchangable. Figghiu beddu means beautiful son and figghia ...
- 28 Dec 2004, 22:29
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Sicilian dialect
- Replies: 73
- Views: 102271
Re: Sicilian dialect
I've been studying Sicilian for awhile now. I find it's helpful to read Sicilian poetry with English translations. I pick up the words pretty quickly.
Also, I just realized something. AgrigentoSicula --- lol, I'm Keri [gmasterdisaster]. Tell me something though. Is bedda pronounced that way in ...
Also, I just realized something. AgrigentoSicula --- lol, I'm Keri [gmasterdisaster]. Tell me something though. Is bedda pronounced that way in ...
- 24 Oct 2004, 05:02
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?
- Replies: 33
- Views: 29293
Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?
Ah, capisciu.ptimber wrote:Sinda vogghiu di' "siddu". Peter
- 23 Oct 2004, 16:01
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?
- Replies: 33
- Views: 29293
- 23 Oct 2004, 07:55
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?
- Replies: 33
- Views: 29293
Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?
I do not reside in Italy but in the USA and I suspect that the Sicilian dialect is spoken by the older people in Sicily and not among the student and young people today. I know Siclian is a language and have read the Book MALDITTU LA LINGUA by Vincenzo Ancona as well as TRADUZIONE E PESIE IN ...
- 22 Oct 2004, 13:21
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?
- Replies: 33
- Views: 29293
Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?
Dear Vineviz I am shocked that even you got sucked into this head game. No one speaks dialect anymore in Italy. it is more a dying thing among seniors and not part of everyday life. The question that is being brought up is divisive and has no place in a genealogy forum and so ZI question the ...
- 21 Oct 2004, 12:21
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Sicilian dialect
- Replies: 73
- Views: 102271
Re: Sicilian dialect
deleted