Search found 58 matches

by Julo
04 Aug 2012, 05:51
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Italian Name spelling
Replies: 3
Views: 3593

Re: Italian Name spelling

Are you sure it's a first name? I don't know of any first name that sounds like that...
But it reminds me of the sicilian word for the "poor thing", in relating to a person:
MESCHINA or mischina
(Mes-kee-nah)
(mee-skee-nah)
by Julo
04 Aug 2012, 05:34
Topic: The life of the shepherd in Italy
Replies: 12
Views: 15504

Re: The life of the shepherd in Italy

We have to resort to a movie to find out about the exodus of southern italians? I would not even trust the "so called" history, written by the "conquerors" of the italian south (the Piemontesi), history is always written by the "winning side" in a manner that makes them...
by Julo
04 Aug 2012, 05:09
Topic: Gravestone abbreviation
Replies: 5
Views: 4793

Re: Gravestone abbreviation

Could be the name initials of his wife
by Julo
06 Sep 2011, 04:34
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Translation Req. - Badolato Marriage Record in Latin
Views: 1633

Re: Translation Req. - Badolato Marriage Record in Latin

It's not latin but italian of those times, a little archaic... This is what I get: A 24... Gaetano Sanges e Pietro Birrittella per la sposa ... Salvatore Cerniglia a Giovanni Paternostro per la sposa per lo matrimonio di Giuseppe Badolato filien: dei ... Pasquale Badolato, e Biaggia Catalinotto ... ...
by Julo
29 Aug 2011, 22:18
Topic: ILLEGIBLE
Views: 3725

Re: ILLEGIBLE

Praticamente era il salumiere dei tempi che furono.
by Julo
28 Aug 2011, 20:41

Sabino wrote:Hi Julo,

Yes the last name is AMOROSO.
Personally I read "salsumaro" but... for you it is possible ?

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, you're right...It is salsumaro, which is the old way of calling the people that used to sell salted meats, such as sausages, prosciutti, etc.
by Julo
28 Aug 2011, 03:32
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Rudy Giuliani will be hosting AMC's Mob Week
Views: 3068

Re: Rudy Giuliani will be hosting AMC's Mob Week

WOW! I didn't know that Rudy's father was in the MOB...But you know what? I just researched it and he was arrested for holding up a milkman, he did a stint for 18 months, if that's being in the mob, TI SALUTO !
by Julo
28 Aug 2011, 03:24
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Italian Music/Songs
Replies: 10
Views: 9380

Re: Italian Music/Songs

For these types of DVD I would not use songs but just plain music, classical music, or better yet try some opera intermezzo like Cavalleria Rusticana by Pietro Mascagni.
by Julo
28 Aug 2011, 03:11

From seeing the whole document, I can tell it's written not by the mayor but from someone acting in his behalf: a clerk, at best a councillor. The last name looks like AMOROSO and the job looks like ZOLFERAIO (here mispelled Solfuniaro o Zolfuniaro). It was not that uncommon for people employed by t...
by Julo
08 Jun 2011, 00:25
Topic: Sicilian translation help needed, please?
Replies: 2
Views: 1427

Re: Sicilian translation help needed, please?

"Nun ti dumannavu mai di scurdari
sulu di perdunari"
by Julo
03 May 2011, 02:38
Topic: Female poses in photos
Replies: 13
Views: 14784

Re: Female poses in photos

This is not a pose, the ladies in the first picture are leaning with their arms on the shoulders of the ones next to them; in the second picture the lady is leaning against the back of the chair. In those days the photographers used to tell the people how to pose, so if you want to call it a pose, g...
by Julo
22 Apr 2011, 21:04
Topic: Bracciale and Contadine
Views: 2175

Re: Bracciale and Contadine

BRACCIANTE= a land daily worker, someone you pay to work on a daily basis doing pretty much anything.

CONTADINO= farmer

A contadino may or may not be the owner of the land he works on, while the bracciante is never the owner, just the worker.
by Julo
22 Apr 2011, 20:51
Topic: Eating Like an Italian
Replies: 26
Views: 40507

Re: Eating Like an Italian

Southern Italians eat well but generally less than Americans. A big factor is movement, generally speaking americans have a much more sedentary life. In Southern Italy, people get out and enjoy life in the open air, favoured by the mostly nice weather year around.
by Julo
22 Apr 2011, 20:44
Topic: Has anyone ever heard this expression?
Replies: 94
Views: 98224

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

My family's been in the US for a few generations. We still have some old expressions that have been passed down that we say and there's one that I've always been curious about. I don't know how you would spell it- or even if it's been changed over the years- so I'm curious if anyone else has ever h...
by Julo
02 Jan 2011, 01:55
Topic: Phrase
Views: 4461

Re: Phrase

My two cents is that he might have been called "minchia mozza" which is a cruel way of calling someone with a minuscule male organ, it literally means: "cut-off penis" 8O