Search found 116 matches

by legnoduro
27 Mar 2009, 23:21
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Problem finding Grandfather's naturalization documents
Replies: 21
Views: 12187

Re: Problem finding Grandfather's naturalization docume

Ciao a tutti, I just received from NARA my grandfather's petition for naturalization. Next to two children's names is the abbreviation " DO" in place of the "place of birth" and the "place of residence" this abbreviation "DO" also appears next to the address o...
by legnoduro
21 Mar 2009, 14:25
Topic: Forgot to include a self addressed envelope
Replies: 5
Views: 5911

Re: Forgot to include a self addressed envelope

Thank you elba. Your answer is reassuring. The only time I did not receive a response from a comune was when I sent a request without a return envelope to Fagnano Castello so I was concerned about this request. I think that the request to Calabria somehow got lost. It has never been aknowledged as b...
by legnoduro
21 Mar 2009, 02:34
Topic: document request frequency to Italy
Replies: 4
Views: 4228

Re: document request frequency to Italy

Thank you Biff. The thank you note is a great idea.

Joseph
by legnoduro
21 Mar 2009, 01:40
Topic: Forgot to include a self addressed envelope
Replies: 5
Views: 5911

Forgot to include a self addressed envelope

Ciao a tutti, I mailed a letter to my grandmother's comune today and forgot to include the self addressed envelope. Should I follow up with a letter and apology and include an envelope referencing the letter I sent? Would this create bigger probems? I forgot to mention that the follow up letter is a...
by legnoduro
20 Mar 2009, 21:22
Topic: document request frequency to Italy
Replies: 4
Views: 4228

document request frequency to Italy

Ciao a tutti, I am requesting my grandparents' marriage certificate and my grandmother's birth certificate from the same comune. I understand how these offices are often very busy processing requests and I don't want to appear rude by making both of these requests at the same time. Would I be better...
by legnoduro
20 Mar 2009, 00:19
Topic: estratto dell'atto di matrimonio
Replies: 3
Views: 3926

estratto dell'atto di matrimonio

Ciao a tutti, With a request for "l'estratto dell'atto di matrimonio in carta libera" will this supply the correct information if I want to use it in the future for citizenship consideration? If not what should I ask for. At the present time I am interested in my ancestry, but because of t...
by legnoduro
19 Mar 2009, 20:47

I thought I would update everyone on my research with the National Archives and Records Administration. I made a second attempt through the NARA online feature only changing the date range of my grandfather's naturalization. I just received an email that the document had been found and a copy was sh...
by legnoduro
19 Mar 2009, 15:24

Thank you all. Suanj, I have the copy of his arrival in 1952 from a trip to Italy. I noticed that the first entry was shown as a citizen but none of the following entries. Do you think this means no one on that manifest was a citizen of the US or does the first entry mean the following names were al...
by legnoduro
19 Mar 2009, 04:30

Problem finding Grandfather's naturalization documents

Ciao a tutti, I have found my grandfather's (Giuseppe Di Pasquale) manifest dated March 30, 1911. I also have his 1920 (Newark, NJ) and 1930 (Elizabeth, NJ) census. On the 1920 census he is identified as an alien and on the 1930 census he is identified as NA, which I understand means he was naturali...
by legnoduro
08 Jan 2009, 20:09
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Orgins of Surnames?
Replies: 9
Views: 8145

Re: Orgins of Surnames?

Wow, you as a source of information are invaluable! I understand your point about the subtle difference especially since in cursive writing an "i" is often confused with a closed "e". Although maybe in the 17th and 18th centuries there was more care taken with writing.

Richard
by legnoduro
08 Jan 2009, 19:52

Ciao Peter,
Ti ringrazio, sei troppo gentile!

Richard
by legnoduro
08 Jan 2009, 16:50

Ciao Peter,
I have just discovered the name Sirena in my ancestry. These relatives came from Cosenza. Would you mind checking to see if it is in the surname dictionary? I have been unable to find its origin.

Thank you,
Richard
by legnoduro
27 Dec 2008, 15:51
Topic: Looking for Antonio Nazzaro
Replies: 6
Views: 4881

Re: Looking for Antonio Nazzaro

Thank you VJ! After doing a bit more research the manifest you found is the Antonio Nazzaro I am looking for.

Joseph
by legnoduro
26 Dec 2008, 16:49
Topic: Received Grandfather's Birth Certificate
Replies: 3
Views: 3665

Re: Received Grandfather's Birth Certificate

Thank you for your responses. Since your posts I have researched the name Di Pasuale and I cannot find one instance of this spelling so the clerical error seems to be obvious. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Joseph