Search found 7 matches

by paierre
06 Jul 2006, 18:17
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Help with postcard translation
Replies: 15
Views: 17668

Re: Help with postcard translation

Thanks to all. To think all I wanted was a card translation and I struck it rich in the kindness and over and above helpfulness of everyone here. I now know Vincenzo Ruggero was probably a nephew of Lucien, Lucien was born in 1860, came to America in 1880, came to Donaldsonville in 1882 and that he ...
by paierre
06 Jul 2006, 08:49

VJ, all those names are my grandparents and their children. My father was Lawrence too. As you can see, all those names are the same family with different last names. We today pronounce our last name Ruh-Jeer-uh. I can see how census takers would spell what they heard and you get the same family wit...
by paierre
05 Jul 2006, 22:21

Some 35 years ago my cousin Evans Casso wrote a book about my great grandfather Lorenzo Casso and researched all the husbands of Lorenzo's daughters. In the book he states that my grandfather Lucien Regira came to this country as Lunciado Ruggiero but his name was anglicized. He also states that Lun...
by paierre
05 Jul 2006, 22:11

The post card does not seem to have been mailed as there is no postmark on it. I don't know if it was hand delivered or sent inside another envelope. Here the picture side of the card. The name at the botton in ink is my uncle Dominick Regira who had possession of this card at one time I suspect. ht...
by paierre
05 Jul 2006, 20:47

Vincenzo may be a nephew from Italy. My grandfather came to America alone from Bagnara, Reggio di Calabria. Perhaps Vincenzo was visiting Chicago and decided to send a picture postcard. On the other side of the postcard is a studio picture of Vincenzo.

Lawrence
by paierre
05 Jul 2006, 20:37

Thanks for the translation. I don't know who Vincenzo is or to whom he was writing but maybe I can figure it out now.

Lawrence
by paierre
05 Jul 2006, 18:03

Help with postcard translation

I have an old postcard sent from Chicago over 100 years old from possibly my great uncle to my grandfather. Here is the link.

Lawrence Regira