Search found 387 matches

by Poipuo4
30 Mar 2007, 16:13
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: searching LDS films
Replies: 15
Views: 11169

searching LDS films

I am going to search through my first LDS microfilm this weekend. I have my great grandfather's birth extract, with the relevant names of his parents and his date of birth. Can someone explain to me the method of working backwards through the film to get info. on his parents? Do I start searching sa...
by Poipuo4
29 Mar 2007, 17:38
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: help with translation
Replies: 7
Views: 8183

Re: help with translation

The second to last paragraph is too complicated for me, so I will go straight to the sign off, which is the easy part. ciao gina spero che non ti sarà difficie tradurre. Bye Gina, I hope that you will not have difficulty translating. (To my native Italian brothers and sisters, I hope I have not but...
by Poipuo4
29 Mar 2007, 17:32
Topic: help with translation
Replies: 7
Views: 8183

Re: help with translation

Hi, Gina, I am just fooling around with this. I am taking beginner's italian classes and wanted to see how much I can understand. Of course, the people on this board who are native Italian speakers, will truly be able to translate this. Anyhow, here is what I have so far. I hope you don't mind that ...
by Poipuo4
29 Mar 2007, 13:52
Topic: Italian translation program
Replies: 14
Views: 12903

Re: Italian translation program

http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/ This one is better than wordlingo or babel fish. I have been taking beginner's Italian so I have a VERY basic foundation of Italian grammar and usage, let me emphasize BASIC. :lol: This web site is pretty good to use in conjunction with that kind of foundat...
by Poipuo4
28 Mar 2007, 18:34
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Zambrotta from Sanza
Replies: 5
Views: 6367

Re: Zambrotta from Sanza

If it is Sanza, Salerno, you can get microfilm from the LDS library for the information if you want to have it for a family tree. See www.familysearch.org If you need the documents for citizenship, you will have to write directly to the commune for an official copy. From LDS library: Title Registri ...
by Poipuo4
28 Mar 2007, 18:28
Topic: Zambrotta from Sanza
Views: 6367

Re: Zambrotta from Sanza

Is this her (1930 census)? If it is, do you know her maiden name? Perhaps she traveled under her maiden name. Even if she already was married, it is custom for Italian women to use their maiden name for official documents, and married name for social occassions. Josephine Zambrotta Home in 1930: Bro...
by Poipuo4
27 Mar 2007, 19:16
Topic: Sarno, Salerno after the mudslides
Views: 5784

Re: Sarno, Salerno after the mudslides

Thank you!
by Poipuo4
27 Mar 2007, 17:34
Topic: Sarno, Salerno after the mudslides
Views: 5784

Sarno, Salerno after the mudslides

About ten years ago there were devastating mudslides in Sarno, Salerno. I was wondering if anyone knows whether the archives were destroyed or damaged.
by Poipuo4
27 Mar 2007, 12:56
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Pizzo Calabria
Replies: 4
Views: 3393

Re: Pizzo Calabria

Thanks very much for finding the information for me! :D
by Poipuo4
26 Mar 2007, 18:32
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Pizzo Calabria
Replies: 4
Views: 3393

Pizzo Calabria

Can someone look on the LDS website and tell me if they have film for Pizzo, Calabria? I looked myself and there is a list of places called Pizzo. I don't know which is the right one. Would it be the one that says Calabro? Here are the partial results I got for Pizzo. Italy, Catanzaro, Pizzo Italy, ...
by Poipuo4
23 Mar 2007, 19:33
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Rudy Giuliani
Replies: 10
Views: 11077

Re: Rudy Giuliani

Biff, thank you for sharing Mario's words. It is the story of all of our families that came as immigrants and worked hard for a better life. It would be nice to have an Italian in office, but Rudy is not the man for me. On another topic, you know that wacky astronaut who wore the diapers and stalked...
by Poipuo4
21 Mar 2007, 17:05
Topic: Name of Ship and Manifest
Replies: 15
Views: 9482

Re: Name of Ship and Manifest

If you post this on the other board on this site for Italian geneaology, I think you will get more replies. In the meantime, go to www.ellisisland.org You can search this site for free. They allow you to order a copy of the manifest on nice paper. The site does not allow you to print from your brows...
by Poipuo4
21 Mar 2007, 15:48
Topic: Is there more than one meaning?
Replies: 3
Views: 3580

Re: Is there more than one meaning?

I think that we have a Mae in our family who was called Mamie. I don't know what her Italian name was, but I don't think it had any correlation to Mae.
by Poipuo4
16 Mar 2007, 17:32
Topic: Cimato
Replies: 21
Views: 15594

Re: Cimato

Thanks for posting the link, James. John: all my grandparents and their siblings Americanized their names. Michele to Michael, for example. The American name is on all of their American documents, except for their naturalization papers. A likely public charge, or LPC, was someone that immigration fe...
by Poipuo4
16 Mar 2007, 17:04
Topic: Cimato
Replies: 21
Views: 15594

Re: Cimato

One more thing, this girl was held for a day at Ellis Island as a likely public charge and then was admitted to the country on June 30 (pretty close to July 1), so this may be her.