Search found 387 matches

by Poipuo4
16 Mar 2007, 17:01
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Cimato
Replies: 21
Views: 15594

Re: Cimato

Could this be her? Antonia Cimato Estimated birth year: abt 1899 Age: 7 Gender: Female Port of Departure: Naples, Italy Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian) Ship Name: Italia Search Ship Database: View the Italia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database Port of Arrival: New York...
by Poipuo4
16 Mar 2007, 13:12
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Was there"COMMON LAW" marriage in Italy around 190
Replies: 3
Views: 4217

Re: Was there"COMMON LAW" marriage in Italy around

I can't answer the question about common law marriage, but have you written to the mother church in the local commune. I understand that sometimes the commune may not have the records but the church will have proof that the religious ceremony took place.
by Poipuo4
09 Mar 2007, 14:08
Topic: Naturalization Brick Wall!
Replies: 13
Views: 9119

Re: Naturalization Brick Wall!

Bru-I know what you mean about the municipal archives. I paid $30 for a search for a marriage certificate for Teresa Ventura. They said no records were found. I come to find out the name was Teresina Ventura. You think they could have made the leap in logic, especially because I supplied the proper ...
by Poipuo4
08 Mar 2007, 18:31
Topic: living relatives in Italy
Replies: 7
Views: 5040

Re: living relatives in Italy

You can just use a normal envelope for airmail. You can either write on the envelope air mail or the post office has a little air mail sticker. Depending on weight, I think it should be about 80 cents or so to send it. The post office will weigh it and let you know the amount of postage. Some people...
by Poipuo4
06 Mar 2007, 16:51
Topic: A Sad Story (with some hope)
Replies: 15
Views: 11804

Re: A Sad Story (with some hope)

I do not practice law in NY, but I found this NY statute, governing death certificates: It looks like if you invoke 4174 1. (a) (6), it applies to a specific request by a child, spouse or parent for a death certificate. My take on (5) would be that a statment from the Italian consulate may not cut i...
by Poipuo4
06 Mar 2007, 16:40
Topic: A Sad Story (with some hope)
Replies: 15
Views: 11804

Re: A Sad Story (with some hope)

Why won't NY give you the death certificate? I have gotten several old and relatively new ones (1994, 1911, 1947), albeit from New York City, as opposed to NY state. What if you submit an affidavit to the state, swearing as to your identity, that you are next of kin, and that you will be using the d...
by Poipuo4
06 Mar 2007, 15:01
Topic: Naturalization Brick Wall!
Replies: 13
Views: 9119

Re: Naturalization Brick Wall!

Ricky, how long did it take for immigration to respond to your request? I have a pending request as well.

Also, my grandmother's manifest had her naturalization date and petition number scribbled on it.
by Poipuo4
05 Mar 2007, 18:04
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Calabrian website
Views: 5264

Calabrian website

http://www.tropeamagazine.it/notai/

I did a google search for a family name and came across this. It looks like it is from the archives of Vibo Valentia, but can someone tell me what Archivi Notarili means.
by Poipuo4
01 Mar 2007, 21:58
Topic: Living Relatives
Replies: 4
Views: 4024

Re: Living Relatives

Go to www.paginebianche.it (the Italian white pages) and see if you can find people with the same last name in Trevignano. Then there are some form letters (if you don't speak Italian) on the internet that you can send to prospective relatives. I don't have that address offhand.
by Poipuo4
01 Mar 2007, 17:26
Topic: Boarders??
Replies: 14
Views: 7862

Re: Boarders??

I also have a Vincenzo turned James in my family.
by Poipuo4
01 Mar 2007, 14:53
Topic: Feroleto della chiesa
Replies: 1
Views: 2382

Feroleto della chiesa

Does anyone else on the board have roots there? Also, I just wanted to share my joy! :lol: I sent out a request for an extract of my great grandfather's birth certificate on Feb. 12. Can you believe that they already sent it to me! It arrived yesterday! It looks like they replied within a day of rec...
by Poipuo4
21 Feb 2007, 17:23
Topic: Kings County Marriage Records
Views: 3553

Re: Kings County Marriage Records

Have you already checked the databases on www.italiangen.org? If not, the NYC municipal archives can do a search for you if you narrow it down to a range or years and borough. For me, it cost $31 to search 2 boroughs and I think a range of 2 or 3 years.
by Poipuo4
16 Feb 2007, 13:58
Topic: Italian Obituaries
Replies: 7
Views: 16444

Re: Italian Obituaries

That makes sense now. My grandmother left a large collection of those little cards when she died. We thought it was interesting that she saved those.
by Poipuo4
15 Feb 2007, 21:22
Topic: Detained at Ellis Island?
Replies: 9
Views: 4749

Re: Detained at Ellis Island?

Perfect!!! Yipee!!! Thanks, VJ
by Poipuo4
15 Feb 2007, 20:50
Topic: Detained at Ellis Island?
Replies: 9
Views: 4749

Re: Detained at Ellis Island?

Thanks, VJ,

Actually, I am trying to read the small markings on the posted link under the heading "rehearing." I would like to obtain the records of the appeal, if they exist, but I need to identify the date, page no., and sec'y. It is really hard to see.