Search found 387 matches

by Poipuo4
04 Apr 2008, 23:24
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: What if: came to US, went back, came back to US?
Replies: 4
Views: 4163

Re: What if: came to US, went back, came back to US?

There are a lot of mistranscriptions in the Ellis Island and ancestry manifest databases, so if you search by name, sometimes the names are so mangled that you will never find them. You could use the Steve Morse web site, www.stevemorse.org and this is a huge undertaking, but search by the name of t...
by Poipuo4
02 Apr 2008, 13:26
Topic: help with translation please no online translator
Replies: 5
Views: 4383

Re: help with translation please no online translator

Thanks, Elba, that really assists me in learning the correct translations and I do not mind at all to read the corrections. I have only been studying for about 6 months (and sporadically at that) so these subtle turns of phrase I am not familiar with.
by Poipuo4
02 Apr 2008, 01:21
Topic: help with translation please no online translator
Replies: 5
Views: 4383

Re: help with translation please no online translator

This is a rough translation as I am a beginner in Italian, but I see that no one has replied to you, so I will pitch in to help. Cesare had brothers, one born in Treia and 2 born in Cingoli, but I can not give you other information in as much as the information came released only under the form of t...
by Poipuo4
31 Mar 2008, 15:08
Topic: CICCONE FAMILY FROM LAUREANA DI BORRELLO
Replies: 9
Views: 13488

Re: CICCONE FAMILY FROM LAUREANA DI BORRELLO

Hi, I don't have any direct info for you, but I have relatives who currently live in Laureana di Borello (Insarda' family). I just thought I would add that in case that name is in your family tree. http://www.laureanaborrello.it/ This is not the official page for the town, but there are some nice pi...
by Poipuo4
25 Mar 2008, 17:42
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Great Grandfather turn away twice in Italy
Replies: 9
Views: 7025

Re: Great Grandfather turn away twice in Italy

If immigrants reached Ellis Island and then were turned back in New York, the ship company would be charged for all the immigrants meals served at Ellis Island and for their passage back home. As a result, the ship line became more vigiliant about turning people back in Italy, so that they would not...
by Poipuo4
20 Mar 2008, 13:58
Topic: Mail in italy
Replies: 8
Views: 6087

Re: Mail in italy

I sent a very small christmas package of a brooch and it took about three months to arrive to Calabria. My letters get there in 10 days. Packages seem to take one month or more to arrive.
by Poipuo4
19 Mar 2008, 20:31
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Where to find military history for family story?
Replies: 7
Views: 10380

Re: Where to find military history for family story?

Hmmmm..have you written to the state archives in Italy for a copy of your great great uncle's military records? You would need to know his birth year and the town in which he was born.
by Poipuo4
19 Mar 2008, 20:28
Topic: US Passport Archives
Replies: 2
Views: 3053

Re: US Passport Archives

Do you have www.ancestry.com? They have a new archive of old US Passports and applications. The only light I can shine on this is that my request with the Dept. of Homeland Security took nearly a year and rendered only an index card on my ancestor.
by Poipuo4
19 Mar 2008, 14:29
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Translators
Views: 3475

Re: Translators

If you PM ricbru on this board, he is an Italian native genealogist and does these types of services.
by Poipuo4
19 Mar 2008, 14:28
Topic: When is it 1 name or 2 names?
Replies: 6
Views: 3762

Re: When is it 1 name or 2 names?

This is just a stab in the dark, but is it a linguistic reason? The last vowel in Giuseppe merges with the first vowel in Antonio to become Giuseppantonio? Sort of like how La Italia becomes L'Italia becase the "a" in La merges with the vowel sound of the "I" in Italia???
by Poipuo4
13 Mar 2008, 20:14
Topic: Easter traditions
Views: 9969

Re: Easter traditions

Thanks, misbris! You are a sweetheart! I think I may add a bit about Easter Monday, Pasquetta.
by Poipuo4
13 Mar 2008, 18:33
Topic: Easter traditions
Views: 9969

Easter traditions

I wanted to invite everyone to take a look at my new page on Italian Easter traditions http://www.celenzaheritage.com/main/Easter.html

We are blessed to have a contributor who is 87 years old and has a great memory of his childhood in Italy. Enjoy!
by Poipuo4
13 Mar 2008, 13:17
Topic: Where To Start?
Views: 3020

Re: Where To Start?

This is one of my favorite links for a guide on Italian genealogy: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Rg/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry=&Guide=36580_Italy_Finding_Ancestor.asp Mike i...
by Poipuo4
12 Mar 2008, 01:22
Topic: Lista di leva
Replies: 6
Views: 9000

Re: Lista di leva

I was able to get the records from the archives in Reggio Calabria and Benevento of two relatives who did not serve, so it is worth a try to ask.