Search found 7 matches

by BrooklynGene
11 Dec 2007, 12:08
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
Replies: 7
Views: 7180

Re: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella

Thanks, I had already checked the Ellis Island registry. I believe the name is as I have it. I have found many errors in the Ellis Island info with regard to spelling of names that I know and place of origin.

Thanks for the reply,

Gene
by BrooklynGene
09 Dec 2007, 12:55
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
Replies: 7
Views: 7180

Re: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella

Peg:

Thanks so much for the link. I'm just getting into the research end after exhausting the knowledge of family members. So these sources are definitely helpful. Do you know how to get into the US Census data for 1910? Were there censuses taken in 1900?

Thanks much for any further info you can ...
by BrooklynGene
09 Dec 2007, 00:09
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
Replies: 7
Views: 7180

Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella

Calogero Fradella was my greatgrandfather born in 1854 in Porto Empedocle, Sicily. He came to NYC with his wife Carmela Paxhia in 1914. I know that he had several siblings a sister named Giovanna (never came to America) and sisters Michelina and Carmela who did come to the US. I know there were ...
by BrooklynGene
08 Dec 2007, 23:54
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: What is "wife" in Italian?
Replies: 9
Views: 23778

Re: What is "wife" in Italian?

In Sicilian dialect the word for wife is probably written mugghiere but pronouced as someone else said as "mool yer ei." Of course, figlio and figla are son and daughter respectively.
by BrooklynGene
08 Dec 2007, 23:45
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Italian to American names
Replies: 15
Views: 19980

Re: Italian to American names

There's no connection between Salvatore and Charles. Sometimes Giovanna became Jennie or Janet.
by BrooklynGene
08 Dec 2007, 21:53
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Can you help me please? Ellis Island Relatives
Replies: 33
Views: 28035

Re: Can you help me please? Ellis Island Relatives

Don't dismiss the Frank Fradella family presented above by VaDeb as not being related. They also came from Porto Empedocle. As was indicated, there was a son Alfonso who may or not be related to Onofrio. I have a Fradella lineage. My grandmother was a Fradella and arrived at Ellis Island in 1914 ...
by BrooklynGene
08 Dec 2007, 21:18
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Can someone figure out this name?
Replies: 5
Views: 5291

Re: Can someone figure out this name?

I also think the names are reversed as is common in Italy. I believe it's brother-in-law Nicola Becci

Good luck