Search found 34 matches

by whymse
17 Nov 2008, 04:20
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Birth cert required to get married in NYC?
Replies: 2
Views: 3712

Re: Birth cert required to get married in NYC?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have his marriage certificate, so I will call the Muncipal Archives in NYC and see if there is any way to get a copy of the application for license that may have info on what proof was used (if any) to apply.
by whymse
17 Nov 2008, 03:36
Topic: Birth cert required to get married in NYC?
Replies: 2
Views: 3712

Birth cert required to get married in NYC?

Hi all, My GGF has no birth cert from his birth year of 1887. I know his birth date from his baptism form, and his WWI draft card. I have searched for years around that date, but had no luck finding the record. The Municipal Archives also turned up no records on two separate searches. My question is...
by whymse
12 Nov 2008, 02:58
Topic: not entitled to gf birth certificate - NYC?
Replies: 7
Views: 5770

Re: not entitled to gf birth certificate - NYC?

I had exactly this issue with NYC. My deceased GF's birth cert was from 1919 in the Bronx. My mother (his daughter) wrote a letter requesting the certificate and they sent back a rejection saying they don't do genealogy certificates. My mother then wrote a note saying she was requesting the document...
by whymse
29 Oct 2008, 05:52
Topic: census survey
Replies: 5
Views: 4380

Re: census survey

matta - It sounds like you requested one of these from NARA. I requested 3 certified census pages (one each from 1900, 1910, and 1920) and I was able to include ed#, ad#, etc. You mentioned including that info speeds up the process. Did you find their estimate of 60-90 days to send out the document ...
by whymse
03 Oct 2008, 21:06
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Anyone in Salt Lake City,Utah that can assist in LDS search?
Replies: 22
Views: 15020

Re: Anyone in Salt Lake City,Utah that can assist in LDS sea

Peter, Thank you so much! Your friend was incredibly generous and helpful and was able to locate, scan, and email me the three census records from 1905, 1915, and 1925. I'm so appreciative of your and his assistance in this matter. The data contained on the records gives further proof that Valiante ...
by whymse
01 Oct 2008, 04:11

Thanks you very much for the information. I will send him an email right now, and let you know how it goes.
by whymse
01 Oct 2008, 03:33

Thank you very much for the link. That is the one I used to determine the FHC films that I requested a few months ago. Sydney just changed the way their films are sent from the US to Australia so there is no way those films will be here by the time I need them in late October. The address was 145 Pr...
by whymse
01 Oct 2008, 02:22

Anyone in Salt Lake City,Utah that can assist in LDS search?

Hey all, I was hoping to locate three records from the 1905, 1915 and 1925 New York State censuses. I have the family name and street address and have requested LDS films, but they won't arrive to me in Sydney, Australia in time for my consulate appointment in 3 weeks. If I have the three film numbe...
by whymse
04 Sep 2008, 22:44
Topic: Searching my american cousin......
Replies: 31
Views: 24466

Re: Searching my american cousin......

Do you know his profession? Or did he have children?
I can search places like linkedin/myspace/facebook, etc.
His children (if he had any) may be on the social networking sites and you could email them.
by whymse
04 Sep 2008, 22:21
Topic: Searching my american cousin......
Replies: 31
Views: 24466

Re: Searching my american cousin......

You are dialing it correctly. Italy has an International Dialing code (IDD) of "00". US has a country code of "1". And "718" is the area code in NY. Numbers can be disconnected for many reasons (person moved, didn't pay bills, etc.) and that sounds like a standard phone...
by whymse
27 Aug 2008, 22:51
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Registro di leva help - please!!!
Replies: 21
Views: 20240

Re: Registro di leva help - please!!!

Here is some info from my search for the same records: These two sites have good info on the records: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/italian_genealogy/85042 http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ilpip1gs/Articles/It_milit_recds.htm Basically, I knew my great-great-grandfather was from Campania regi...
by whymse
22 Aug 2008, 23:35
Topic: Dual citizenship - Gg-grandparents born in Napoli
Replies: 15
Views: 11276

Re: Dual citizenship - Gg-grandparents born in Napoli

First thing I would do is to get the ball rolling with NARA in NYC for a search of naturalization records. I provided all the information I had on my gg-grandfather, and they came back 10 business days later with "no records found". It turned out in my case that I later found an 1894 (7 ye...
by whymse
22 Aug 2008, 21:23
Topic: Dual citizenship - Gg-grandparents born in Napoli
Replies: 15
Views: 11276

Re: Dual citizenship - Gg-grandparents born in Napoli

Your history is a lot like mine... My GG-Grandfather born 1857 in Salerno, left Italy ~1883, G-Grandfather born in Brooklyn 1887, Grandfather born in Bronx in 1919. I will caution you that you are going to be needing _a lot_ of documents and you'll possibly run into issues like I did: My gg-grandpar...
by whymse
29 Jul 2008, 02:37
Topic: Surname: Valiando
Views: 16253

Re: Surname: Valiando

Well, suanj is absolutely amazing and she helped me track down both of my great-great-grandparents to Padula and Laurito in Salerno Province. I will hopefully have their records soon in the mail. Their family name was "Valiante" in Italy and changed to "Valiando" while living in ...
by whymse
26 Jul 2008, 23:54
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Assistance with Registro di Leva letter (please)
Replies: 1
Views: 3322

Re: Assistance with Registro di Leva letter (please)

Nevermind... With suanj's help we have found his records in Padula, and I won't need to write the above letter. Thanks though.