Search found 19 matches

by sorrydude
19 Jun 2012, 08:47
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Need help with a translation
Replies: 0
Views: 636

Need help with a translation

I have been researching family in the area of Lanciano, Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy. Specifically the family names di Campli, Trivilino, Staniscia, and Gambescia are of most interest to me. If anyone has information on these families from the area, you help would be greatly appreciated. But for this post...
by sorrydude
29 Mar 2012, 23:56
Topic: Staniscia surname
Replies: 7
Views: 6610

Re: Staniscia surname

Some basic information about the name Staniscia. First it is not a very common name throughout Italy, in fact it is almost exclusively found in Chieti, Abruzzo. It is considered to be a variation of the surname Stanisci; Staniscio is another variant. For meaning, well it is thought that it is derive...
by sorrydude
19 Mar 2011, 15:14
Topic: Question about names
Replies: 9
Views: 2616

Thank you

Everyone, thank you for helping to answer my question. I had never thought to check for a difference between the birth records and the baptismal records. The reason I asked this question is because my 2nd great grandmother was known and is remembered as Camilla. Myself and 2 of my cousins have indep...
by sorrydude
18 Mar 2011, 19:41
Topic: Question about names
Replies: 9
Views: 2616

Question about names

I know that it was common, especially in southern Italy to name a child the same as an older sibling who had died. Even if the birth record only showed one given name, didn't most people have at least two given names? I've seen birth records that just say "Nicola" or "Maria" but ...
by sorrydude
18 Mar 2011, 18:32
Topic: Di Campli, Trivilino, Gambescia and Staniscia in Lanciano
Replies: 32
Views: 21754

Dead End?

I was looking at my papers, notes and our talk on this forum. When I was rereading, I found where you said that Rosa was the only daughter of 5 children... Somehow, I had missed that before. I looked and I have the names and birth dates of all five. Berardino, born 18 Dec 1849 Giovanni, born 24 Oct ...
by sorrydude
17 Mar 2011, 05:30

Stretching too far?

I don't know if this is a sign that I'm getting too desperate and trying to stretch the information too far or if this is a likely connection. On 27 Mar 1904, The Citta di Milano arrived at Ellis Island. The ship had departed Italy from the port of Naples. On the ship was a 48 year old man (making h...
by sorrydude
17 Mar 2011, 02:18

Canadian search

Mare, I don't know if it will produce any help for us, but one thing I had found was an arrival at Ellis Island for a Nicola Trivilino whose final destination was Montreal. He was going to stay with his brother in law Antonio Staniscia. This was in 1904 and Nicola was 48 years old and from Lanciano....
by sorrydude
16 Mar 2011, 16:37

Camilla Staniscia

Mare, Did you ever hear back with any information about her? My ability to do research here in Seoul has been greatly diminished. I decided to resort to the last possible thing I could think of, I sent emails to the Lanciano and Chieti Civil Records Offices. I don't expect any response, but am despe...
by sorrydude
08 Dec 2010, 13:53

Re: Di Campli, Trivilino, Gambescia and Staniscia in Lancian

Mare, I moved to Seoul, South Korea in early August. By that time, I did not receive a response to the letters I had sent. I guess that even through September I didn't because I had my mail forwarded to my parents home and they never told me anything arrived from Italy. Once things settle down for m...
by sorrydude
30 Jul 2010, 02:59

Mare, I also did some research on that family. I'll show you what I have starting with Camillo Staniscia Generation I Camillo Staniscia was born 15 Mar 1820 to Luigi Ermenegildo Staniscia and Rosa Giardino. He married Rosa Angellotti on 02 Dec 1844. She died 05 Mar 1848. He then married Maria Caroli...
by sorrydude
15 Jul 2010, 06:36

Mare, I still haven't heard back for the state archives, maybe they took a month off for the world cup. Going through records, I haven't been able to find anything for a Camilla Staniscia during the right time period. I did try looking for Rosa and found an interesting possibility different from the...
by sorrydude
13 Jun 2010, 02:16

Mare, I still haven't been able to find anything 100% on Camilla Staniscia. I tried using Rose as a starting point instead of Camilla and might have found something. I would say that the family line that I've followed starting with Rose has a 50% likelihood of being the correct lineage. I didn't ans...
by sorrydude
08 Jun 2010, 00:44

This is just a quick update.

Generation IV
Niccola Grifo was born to Vincenzo Grifo. That is all the information I have at this time.
by sorrydude
22 May 2010, 03:40
Topic: Why would a married woman be buried with her maiden name?
Replies: 6
Views: 4503

Re: Why would a married woman be buried with her maiden name

Traditionally, Italian women did not take their husband's last name. In some cases you might find that marriage is indicated by changing an ending "o" to "i". In my case I have seen this with Trivilino to Trivilini, Grifo to Grifi and Nasuto to Nasuti.
by sorrydude
22 May 2010, 03:29

I updated the original post with all updates and additions. I now have a good grasp on each branch pretty well except for the Staniscia line. Any help with this family would be greatly appreciated.