Search found 19 matches
- 22 Jul 2012, 18:32
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Wondering about my last name, any help is appreciated.
- Replies: 17
- Views: 15995
Re: Wondering about my last name, any help is appreciated.
I've always been interested in my italian lineage and was always told my last name was Italian (My grandpa was 100%). I've been learning how to speak Italian in college and I've been trying to find info on my last name on the internet. My last name is Piedmonte and most listings I've found drop the ...
- 25 Jul 2011, 01:06
- Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Translation - From french.
- Replies: 1
- Views: 1850
Re: Translation - From french.
Have you tried google translate? Here is the link. http://translate.google.com/
I have used it numerous times and it works pretty well except for turning around the sentence structure. The main problem I have had with it is when the text is Patois (Old French mixed with Latin).
Regards,
I have used it numerous times and it works pretty well except for turning around the sentence structure. The main problem I have had with it is when the text is Patois (Old French mixed with Latin).
Regards,
- 08 Jul 2011, 18:29
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Piedmont Nobility - Foa
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1708
Re: Piedmont Nobility - Foa
Finaly tracked down a refernce to the de Foa family in Pientmonte.
THE FOA FAMILY IS ROLLED IN THE PIEMONTESI NOBLE FAMILIES.
"....Jewish noble family from Palestina:
arma: d'argento all'albero terrazzato sostenuto da due leoni e caricato sul fogliame da una stella. il tutto al naturale ...
THE FOA FAMILY IS ROLLED IN THE PIEMONTESI NOBLE FAMILIES.
"....Jewish noble family from Palestina:
arma: d'argento all'albero terrazzato sostenuto da due leoni e caricato sul fogliame da una stella. il tutto al naturale ...
- 07 Jul 2011, 21:30
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other?
- Replies: 9
- Views: 3356
Re: Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other
It seems to be half Latin and half some French/piedmontese dialect.
If you go back to page 261, a note states "ce patois limousin, mélé de Latin, doit remonter vers 1300". Now, I don't speak French, but in some northern areas of Italy, near to France, "patois" is a dialect. So this should be a ...
If you go back to page 261, a note states "ce patois limousin, mélé de Latin, doit remonter vers 1300". Now, I don't speak French, but in some northern areas of Italy, near to France, "patois" is a dialect. So this should be a ...
- 05 Jul 2011, 17:39
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other?
- Replies: 9
- Views: 3356
Re: Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other
Thanks Pippo M,
I see what you mean. It is Domicello but referring to a Peter Durandij who I think is purchasing the property. I am most interested in the last sentence where it refers to Lo Vignal de Pigmon. I looked up Vignal and in old French it seems to mean vinyard if I am right ...
I see what you mean. It is Domicello but referring to a Peter Durandij who I think is purchasing the property. I am most interested in the last sentence where it refers to Lo Vignal de Pigmon. I looked up Vignal and in old French it seems to mean vinyard if I am right ...
- 04 Jul 2011, 23:58
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other?
- Replies: 9
- Views: 3356
Re: Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other
Yes that's it! If you guys can help me understand this it will make my day!
Thanks
Thanks
- 04 Jul 2011, 23:51
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other?
- Replies: 9
- Views: 3356
Re: Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other
This link will take you to the book where it is photocopied.
The references to Lomicello are on P.274 of the book
archive.org/stream/bulletindelasoc97unkngoog#page/n8/mode/2up
Thanks
The references to Lomicello are on P.274 of the book
archive.org/stream/bulletindelasoc97unkngoog#page/n8/mode/2up
Thanks
- 04 Jul 2011, 23:39
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other?
- Replies: 9
- Views: 3356
Re: Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other
I found this on p. 274 of "Bulletin de la Société scientifique, historique et archéologique de la Corrèze"
Here is the link:
archive.org/stream/bulletindelasoc97unkngoog/bulletindelasoc97unkngoog_djvu.txt
It occured to me that it may be written in Piedmontese. It will translate somewhat using ...
Here is the link:
archive.org/stream/bulletindelasoc97unkngoog/bulletindelasoc97unkngoog_djvu.txt
It occured to me that it may be written in Piedmontese. It will translate somewhat using ...
- 04 Jul 2011, 20:10
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Wondering about my last name, any help is appreciated.
- Replies: 17
- Views: 15995
Re: Wondering about my last name, any help is appreciated.
It could be that your surname Piedmonte is not found it Italy very much because a lot of surnames were assigned based on where our immigrant ancestors were from. I just found this reference also to "pijé" which in Piemontese means "to take" and with monte meaning mountain this could mean to take the ...
- 04 Jul 2011, 18:36
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other?
- Replies: 9
- Views: 3356
Is this document written in Ladino, Old Occitan or other?
The following document is in the old records of St. Martial de Gimel in France but I cannot get a very good translation from Google translate. I have tried translating from Latin, Italian and French but some words don't seem to work from anything. Can someone help with this? I am trying to find out ...
- 14 Jun 2010, 17:58
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Pignatelli family history
- Replies: 7
- Views: 9512
Re: Pignatelli family history
I'm not sure Pigman. My grandparents immigrated to Australia 70 years ago so I'd have no clue, sorry. Thanks Jas,
Have you or any of your Pignatelli male relative done the y-dna test? I sure would like to compare notes! The test is very easily done by swabbing the inside of your cheek with a long q ...
Have you or any of your Pignatelli male relative done the y-dna test? I sure would like to compare notes! The test is very easily done by swabbing the inside of your cheek with a long q ...
- 06 Jun 2010, 18:49
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Village of Pigna, Italy and Italian/French suffixes
- Replies: 6
- Views: 6310
Re: Village of Pigna, Italy and Italian/French suffixes
They could have been either elderly women from the family or housekeepers. The one story I have found says that John Pigman arrived here after living for a time in England and brought five servants with him. Another researcher in the 1800's found where our ancestor owned several estates and had to ...
- 06 Jun 2010, 17:39
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Village of Pigna, Italy and Italian/French suffixes
- Replies: 6
- Views: 6310
Re: Village of Pigna, Italy and Italian/French suffixes
Thanks Johnnyonthespot,
I have been thinking of the pronunciations from the link you gave me and I have come up with all kinds of variant spellings in French and Italiano.
Some of these are:
Pignon
Pignan
Pigna
Pignati
Pignatelli
Pignano
Pignono
Pegman
Peignan
Peignon
Pigmans (a name found in ...
I have been thinking of the pronunciations from the link you gave me and I have come up with all kinds of variant spellings in French and Italiano.
Some of these are:
Pignon
Pignan
Pigna
Pignati
Pignatelli
Pignano
Pignono
Pegman
Peignan
Peignon
Pigmans (a name found in ...
- 06 Jun 2010, 17:13
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Village of Pigna, Italy and Italian/French suffixes
- Replies: 6
- Views: 6310
Re: Village of Pigna, Italy and Italian/French suffixes
Thanks,
I have looked around for records from Pignan, Languedoc, France but I think the records were burned with the churches during the conflicts with the Vaudois (Waldenese).
It was thought that all Pigmans in the U.S. are descended from John Pigman from around 1695 when he bought a farm in ...
I have looked around for records from Pignan, Languedoc, France but I think the records were burned with the churches during the conflicts with the Vaudois (Waldenese).
It was thought that all Pigmans in the U.S. are descended from John Pigman from around 1695 when he bought a farm in ...
- 02 Jun 2010, 19:59
- Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
- Topic: Village of Pigna, Italy and Italian/French suffixes
- Replies: 6
- Views: 6310
Village of Pigna, Italy and Italian/French suffixes
My y-dna says that I am Italian but stories from family are that we were an Italian family from France when my ancestor John Pigman emigrated from France to Maryland around 1695. The surname was apparently changed from Italian/French to Pigman.
My question: Does the French suffix Pign(an)mean the ...
My question: Does the French suffix Pign(an)mean the ...