Search found 32 matches

by lowlight
22 Nov 2010, 00:34
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Court order to get 1893 naturalization record from county?
Replies: 6
Views: 3212

Re: Court order to get 1893 naturalization record from count

that sounds oddly familiar, my relative also resided in Michigan. As for obtaining those records I would, ask to speak to someone else, also try calling archives of Michigan, (they are another repository for these types of records for many counties). http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,1607,7-140-54504_18...
by lowlight
19 Nov 2010, 20:40
Topic: I was told to give up!
Replies: 68
Views: 19337

Re: I was told to give up!

Did Italy issue travel documents to immigrants before they left? If so could I contact the comune where he resided and ask them to furnish them? Seeing as they would be ancient I'm not holding my breath. I'm trying to determine if my relative came to the states a time before he showed up on the cens...
by lowlight
13 Nov 2010, 05:46

yeah that was just one of the many that said "no records found." The book does have some good search tips. If I turn something up I'll definitely be letting everyone here know. Have you ever heard of someone convincing the consulate that although the census says "na" no record ex...
by lowlight
13 Nov 2010, 05:28

you are likely correct, I guess I didn't realize they had different types of soundex cards. So is it safe to say that if the NARA found nothing for my relative the first time pertaining to naturalization they would have cross-referenced the soundex cards in the process? It makes sense to me.
by lowlight
12 Nov 2010, 23:59

right but the soundex seems like it gives more specific naturalization info. Like where it happened, witnesses etc. This according to the book"They became Americans."
by lowlight
12 Nov 2010, 21:30

So I just read that the Soundex Index Cards from the 1900, 1910 & 1920 censuses had naturalization information on them. Anybody able to confirm their usefulness and is the only access too them at our regional NARA facility?
by lowlight
11 Nov 2010, 05:19

I just peeped Stevemorris.com and I'm not seeing much. Would your work be redundant? I don't want to make more work for you if I can do it.
by lowlight
11 Nov 2010, 05:02

ok So I picked up the book: "They Became Americans" by Loretto Dennis Szus. I wanted to get more ideas of places to search and there a few that I had never thought of. I'm happy to share if you're interested. Anyway, does anyone have the ability to look at naturalization docs in NY? As tha...
by lowlight
09 Nov 2010, 20:25

I guess my thinking was that he could not have had a SS number if he was an alien. Although I'm not sure entirely on that.
by lowlight
09 Nov 2010, 17:25

thanks lilbees, I sent my request in last night so we'll see.
by lowlight
08 Nov 2010, 19:02

another place I'll be looking for answers is the social security administration. My ggf has a number listed on his death certificate but I find no record of it in the ss death index, this may be another falsehood. If it is real then maybe naturalization info is attached to it.
by lowlight
08 Nov 2010, 15:01

yeah I agree 100% but how to prove that to a consulate that seems to only view things in black & white. I have a small list of different avenues I'll be exploring, many of which were ideas derived from here.
by lowlight
08 Nov 2010, 06:09

I unfortunately have to agree by experience. That being said, I've heard of people (a relative as a matter of fact) that got citizenship with no records found letters and a declaration of intent. I'll double check that and report back. That is part of my hope that maybe I can find something that wou...
by lowlight
07 Nov 2010, 18:38

I see your thinking though, he gets here and does whatever his closest relative does where they did it. That being said, I looked at the naturalization records for the area he lived first and many of the surrounding areas.
by lowlight
07 Nov 2010, 18:23

Alfredo's father is Caesar, he came to visit him in 1908 I found his arrival manifest on Ellis...