by MaddalenaNYC
08 Aug 2023, 06:14
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Tips for Italian Americans Looking for NY Family
Replies: 3
Views: 263

Tips for Italian Americans Looking for NY Family

Two good and free resources:
Brooklyn Newsstand. The Brooklyn Public Library sponsors this database. Free search of Brooklyn newspapers from way back, Open to the public.

Old Fulton Postcards. Just Google it. Also a free search. Found much there.

Good luck to all.
by MaddalenaNYC
08 Aug 2023, 06:02
Topic: Unable to locate Birth Records and Passenger Lists. Would help while I consider 1948 Dual Citizenship.
Replies: 15
Views: 959

Re: Unable to locate Birth Records and Passenger Lists. Would help while I consider 1948 Dual Citizenship.

Got your PM, thank you. Why do you think that the marriage took place at City Hall? Is the address for the marriage, City Hall Plaza? It might have been St. Andrews. St. Andrews still exists. Now on Cardinal Hayes Plaza, formerly known as City Hall Plaza. Yes, my family also lived on Baxter Street. ...
by MaddalenaNYC
07 Aug 2023, 22:27
Topic: Help me Find Mamie
Replies: 5
Views: 372

Re: Help me Find Mamie

I am am absolutely grateful for your curiosity concerning Mamie. Two sets of eyes are always better than one. At work, before I retired, we were always looking for second eyes to review documents. For me, I looked for third eyes! Before I speak again of Mamie, I’d like announce that I found another ...
by MaddalenaNYC
07 Aug 2023, 02:14
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Italian Dual Citizenship companies
Replies: 6
Views: 1078

Re: Italian Dual Citizenship companies

I started out looking for an agency to help me with Jure Sanguinis and soon discovered that I knew more about my family than they did, even after their initial research. I’m doing it on my own now. If one can find the US records, that’s the hard part as the US did not keep such impeccable records as...
by MaddalenaNYC
07 Aug 2023, 01:47
Topic: Unable to locate Birth Records and Passenger Lists. Would help while I consider 1948 Dual Citizenship.

Re: Unable to locate Birth Records and Passenger Lists. Would help while I consider 1948 Dual Citizenship.

In order to have been married in the Catholic Church at that time one would have needed to provide proof of the Sacraments received; Baptism and Confirmation. If the Church has a record of the marriage, it might also have a Baptism record.
by MaddalenaNYC
07 Aug 2023, 01:45

NYC birth records are not well documented from the 1800s. The data base online does not have many records that should have existed. My grandmother’s is not there from 1888. Luckily, I have her Baptismal certificate. Do you know where in NY your ancestor was born? Is there a church or an address indi...
by MaddalenaNYC
06 Aug 2023, 22:02

By the way, Parker, you did a heck of a good job of researching with very little to go on.
Thank you.
by MaddalenaNYC
06 Aug 2023, 21:50

Thank you so much. Yes, I did notice that Mamie’s age on her marriage certificate seems to be incorrect. Everywhere else, social security, death certificate, children’s birth certificates, her year of birth is noted as 1888. Just before their daughter, my Aunt Helen, died at the age of 97 and 1/2, s...
by MaddalenaNYC
06 Aug 2023, 06:54

Help me Find Mamie

Mamie was my grandmother. She was born Maria Musa in East New York, Brooklyn in 1888. This was before NYC’s five boroughs were incorporated as a city. Her parents were Guglielmo Musa and Josephine Tezza. Her brothers were Luigi and Giuseppe. The family was from the Province of Parma. Records indicat...
by MaddalenaNYC
14 Apr 2023, 23:01
Topic: Inherited physical traits
Replies: 4

Re: Inherited physical traits

My great great niece, the beauty with the piercing hazel green eyes, is mostly, I would say, mostly Latin. Her skin is light brown. Her father, my incredibly wonderful great nephew is of Guatemalan, Irish, Portuguese and Italian descent. It was a nice reunion. I now have a great great great niece, b...
by MaddalenaNYC
14 Apr 2023, 22:07

Re: Inherited physical traits

We tend to be pale.
by MaddalenaNYC
13 Apr 2023, 22:54

Inherited physical traits

My father’s side of the family came from Neirone and Parma. It seems that many Gardellas, that was my father’s last name, have green hazel eyes. He did, I do. Many other close relatives, nieces, nephews, cousins,as well. Although, light brown, darker brown, and blue eyes also exist in the family. A ...
by MaddalenaNYC
13 Apr 2023, 22:12
Topic: Gardella Family from Neirone
Replies: 18
Views: 5492

Re: Gardella Family from Neirone

Jessica. Fred was my great uncle. I sent a PM to you. Actually two. Fred and Victoria’s marriage certificate is accessible online through the NYC Municipal Archives I have only recently discovered that Fred was the much younger brother of my grandfather. Fred and Alex(my grandfather) were both born ...
by MaddalenaNYC
08 Sep 2021, 00:12
Topic: Gardella Family from Neirone
Replies: 18
Views: 5492

Re: Gardella Family from Neirone

Tessa here I am bothering you again. My father’s maternal side was from Soragna. I have his grandfather’s passport attesting same. As well as other old family papers. Would the Soragna records be housed in Parma? I need to find out about my grandmother, my fathers mother. The Ellis Island records st...