Search found 17 matches

by 295tro
17 Sep 2014, 19:18
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Connecticut State Library; anybody with experience?
Replies: 15
Views: 3068

Re: Connecticut State Library; anybody with experience?

Tessa: Thanks for the PM; would you let me know if you receive my reply, please? (I'm not sure my outgoing is working properly.)
by 295tro
16 Sep 2014, 22:00

Yes, they were in Connecticut at that time. I don't put much weight on that manifest; it's something I merely keep in my possibilities folder because the names match, Macchia is indicated, and the c.1864 birth date for the ship manifest Maria is close to the c.1865 birthdate for the Waterbury census...
by 295tro
16 Sep 2014, 20:33

I was directed to Rocky Hill, CT. (15 minutes south). Thanks for the clarification, James. Why would you contact the Boston Archives for a Naturalization that was filed in a District Court in Waterbury, Connecticut? NARA (if that is the Boston Archive you are talking about) does not hold ALL natura...
by 295tro
15 Sep 2014, 22:28

EDIT: Yes, Tessa, that is correct; the information above is what I assume to be for my great-grandmother's brother, Joseph Spallone. _____________________ Thank you again, Tessa. I emailed a bit with somebody in the Boston archives about that Naturalization Card last year, and he said that the recor...
by 295tro
15 Sep 2014, 16:12

Thank you, Tessa! You "masters" are always impressive!!! This is the sort of information that explains why it is so difficult to find records using their children's names as additional search criteria. The only one I think I've found information about (with my very novice abilities) is the...
by 295tro
15 Sep 2014, 15:37

Thanks for the replies, and I'll welcome any others that arrive here. I did contact the library directly on two occasions, and spoke with two different people there. They were very nice, answered basic questions about hours of operation, wi-fi access, etc., but both gave me a polite "good luck&...
by 295tro
14 Sep 2014, 03:40

Connecticut State Library; anybody with experience?

I am probably going to make a trip to the Connecticut State Library to go through their files—township by township—in search of a c.1895 marriage record for my great-grandparents. Does anybody on this board have any personal experience with that sort of task at this library? I will be crossing a few...
by 295tro
03 May 2013, 00:06
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: 1874 birth record translation assistance, please
Replies: 3
Views: 1719

Re: 1874 birth record translation assistance, please

Thank you, Tessa!!! The details you translated are fantastic! (Alas, I still have work to do in the quest for truth. In relation to other records, the month of April is perfect, the day is only slightly off, but 1874 is between one and two years too early. And there are no other Rosaria Spallone bir...
by 295tro
02 May 2013, 22:35

Re: 1874 birth record translation assistance, please

PS: I was able to pick out bits of info with Google Translate, but nothing on which I'd hang my hat. (Record made on April 10, 1874?...Born April 9 at 8am?...Daughter of Saverio Spallone?) The exact details are obviously too important for that approach, and one of the things that I cannot find but h...
by 295tro
02 May 2013, 20:24

1874 birth record translation assistance, please

I'd very much appreciate help from anybody who is able to translate this birth record for Rosaria Spallone. Here's a Google album link which will allow for significant enlargement (click on the image thumbnail, then click on the magnifying glass icon, then use the enlargement slider tool on lower ri...
by 295tro
09 Apr 2013, 13:56
Topic: Location name help from census record, please
Views: 1168

Re: Location name help from census record, please

Thank you both for the assistance. Another record that will hopefully add some detail is now on order.
by 295tro
08 Apr 2013, 20:48
Topic: Location name help from census record, please
Views: 1168

Location name help from census record, please

Does anybody have a clue as to the location name ("Santrlir"???) vertically sandwiched between Benevento and Riccia on this census record? My GGM was born in Macchia, as was her mother, but the location name I am asking about is the place of birth for her father. (My GGF was born in Riccia...
by 295tro
27 Mar 2013, 21:04
Topic: 1872 Birth Record Translation
Replies: 10
Views: 2382

Re: 1872 Birth Record Translation

Thanks for clarifying that.

So then the lineage is definitely Nicola Aloia --> Francesco Aloia --> Vincenzo Aloia, and a mere 24-hour discrepancy between the registry's date of birth and that self-reported by Vincenzo several decades later.

Again, this was a huge help!
by 295tro
27 Mar 2013, 20:34

Perfect! Now I am just trying to resolve the specific day. I have a perfectly clear September 30, 1872 birthdate shown on a record personally signed by Vincenzo later in life. Whereas if this record is dated October 2 (Wednesday), and the birth was reported as having occurred the day before, that wo...
by 295tro
27 Mar 2013, 16:44

Would you please let me know if you are absolutely certain that the year of the entry is dated 1873 rather than 1872? The title page on the microfilm that I thought was for this section (rather than for the records that preceded it on the microfilm) was printed with REGISTRO ANNO 1872. I just added ...