Search found 57 matches

by jmb44
23 Feb 2015, 05:57
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Dual Citizenship marriage record conumdrum
Replies: 5
Views: 3312

Re: Dual Citizenship marriagmdrum

If they were married in a catholic church there would be a church record. The archdiocese of NY may or may not have centralized records, however they probably have an archivist who may lead you to the most obvious parish, particularly if you know from census records where they lived at the time.
by jmb44
23 Feb 2015, 05:44
Topic: US Naturalization
Replies: 1
Views: 813

Re: US Naturalization

The U.S. immigration service should be able to confirm naturalization. Death certificates in the US are generally the province of the states. You should be able to get an uncertified copy even though you are not a descendent . If you don't know the state where the death occurred, search the social s...
by jmb44
19 Feb 2015, 18:47
Topic: Thank you, Italian Genealogy members!
Replies: 2
Views: 1501

Thank you, Italian Genealogy members!

My son had his appointment with the SF Italian Consulate today and will be receiving citizenship recognition for his daughter and himself. I did the research necessary and could not have done it without help from members of this forum. So thank you for all your help. Someone was there to respond to ...
by jmb44
30 Jan 2015, 23:29
Topic: Final Divorce does it need to be translated to Italian
Replies: 1
Views: 928

Re: Final Divorce does it need to be translated to Italian

I believe from reading the website that the divorce decree is treated like a vital document, which means it needs a translation and the apostille as well.
by jmb44
30 Jan 2015, 20:21
Topic: Divorce and citizenship
Replies: 28
Views: 13016

Re: Divorce and citizenship

In my case my parents naturalized prior to my birth, but then of course I have a first degree relative that was once an Italian citizen. Do you know what obtaining a residence status in Italy involves and does it need to be in the Italian relative's commune?
by jmb44
30 Jan 2015, 20:13
Topic: Help finding info on my GGF's Naturalization Record
Views: 1762

Re: Help finding info on my GGF's Naturalization Record

National Archives provides certified copies of the Intent to Naturalize Petition in some areas. In other areas you may have to contact the court. The actual naturalization document comes from US immigration. The fact that your relative petitioned for naturalization does not necessarily mean he natur...
by jmb44
30 Jan 2015, 20:13
Topic: Help finding info on my GGF's Naturalization Record
Views: 1762

Re: Help finding info on my GGF's Naturalization Record

National Archives provides certified copies of the Intent to Naturalize Petition in some areas. In other areas you may have to contact the court. The actual naturalization document comes from US immigration. The fact that your relative petitioned for naturalization does not necessarily mean he natur...
by jmb44
29 Jan 2015, 21:32
Topic: Italian Citizens React to Greek Election Results
Replies: 3
Views: 1221

Re: Italian Citizens React to Greek Election Results

Interesting, but not expected. Many think austerity is not the answer to the crisis.

How is Italy responding to the reduction of Euro to dollar?
by jmb44
16 Jan 2015, 23:49
Topic: Divorce and citizenship
Replies: 28
Views: 13016

Re: Divorce and citizenship

I am replying to a post of several years ago, but can you explain the process for regaining citizenship for those that married and divorced prior to 1983?
by jmb44
16 Jan 2015, 18:24
Topic: NARA no record letter
Replies: 0
Views: 753

NARA no record letter

Has anyone received one of these lately? I notice that a number consulates no longer request them and I be heard that NARA has had a change in policy and no longer issues them. A call to NARA neither confirmed or denied this...just that there had been "change in policy". Some consulates ar...
by jmb44
15 Jan 2015, 20:18
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Mario Cuomo, Obituary
Views: 4996

Re: Mario Cuomo, Obituary

I was lucky enough to be present for his famous speech at the SF democratic convention. He was fantastic. Thank you for posting this obit.
by jmb44
15 Jan 2015, 20:16
Topic: Emigration to Argentina
Replies: 3
Views: 1608

Re: Emigration to Argentina

Family search website has some Argentine census records. Assuming that your family is listed, they would tell you where they settled.
by jmb44
14 Jan 2015, 22:21
Topic: If Italian ancestor lived outside of Italy or US?
Views: 1065

Re: If Italian ancestor lived outside of Italy or US?

Thank you, ...I imagine the same would apply to applicant, those who have done a lot traveling or needed to reside in another country short term for work would have a lot of paperwork to do.
by jmb44
14 Jan 2015, 01:19
Topic: gathering italian birth and marriage certificates
Replies: 4
Views: 1726

Re: gathering italian birth and marriage certificates

1) Write to the Commune and ask for the documents: Comune di Stilo, Viale Roma, 34 - 89049 – Stilo (RC) I believe you can find templates in Italian for the letters on this website and others to help you ask for precisely what you need. I was able to get my ancestors records rather quickly from anoth...
by jmb44
14 Jan 2015, 00:12
Topic: If Italian ancestor lived outside of Italy or US?
Views: 1065

If Italian ancestor lived outside of Italy or US?

If an Italian ancestor lived outside of the US (not Italy) for a few years do you need any documents from that country? Or is the US proof of Alien status enough?