Search found 26 matches

by MarcoItaliano
11 Feb 2015, 15:45
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Can anyone tell me what my last name means?
Replies: 28
Views: 16152

Re: Can anyone tell me what my last name means?

Old Venetian documents suggest that Gisi like Ghigi, Ghisi, Gigi, Gizi derived from the name Luigi, and there are numerous examples i.e. Gisi Pelegrino (1168); Lazzaso Gisi da Cannaregio (1147), etc etc. Egyptians were called "Gifto" a name which is used to day for the Human race of "...
by MarcoItaliano
08 Feb 2015, 10:54

Hi everybody again, i found this town in Calabria called GIZZERIA in the province of Catanzaro. http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gizzeria Im wondering if my last name has any connection to that place. I know that the locals of this town are called Gizzeroti. Heres what i found on this official website h...
by MarcoItaliano
01 Aug 2014, 11:29

lol well that what it says on there so i dont know, also "The descendants of Gizzi enjoy the title of Count d ' Osimo , Anagni and Ferentino"...i know cardinals dont have kids im pretty sure, so if im related then hes my great grand uncle or something he must have brothers or sisters...som...
by MarcoItaliano
01 Aug 2014, 10:39

To the theme Gypsy. In Europe Roma-People with orgin India normally were named Gypsy/ german Zigeuner/ italian Zingaro. but it was also usual to use the word for all "Fahrendes Volk" (german), Travellers (English). In fact used for most especially foreign-looking, dark-skinned people. As ...
by MarcoItaliano
01 Aug 2014, 08:38
Topic: CARIOZZI family name - Help needed!
Replies: 24
Views: 6793

Re: CARIOZZI family name - Help needed!

Hi, I am French and and my grandmother was a CARIOZZI. She passed away a few years ago at the age of 107.She is my dad's mum. she was born in Italy, in SORA, I think, in 1903 but her family emigrated to France when she was a little kid. They first stayed in Marseille and then moved further north ( ...
by MarcoItaliano
08 Jun 2014, 06:41

he was born in Sora, 28/July/1900 and died in Toronto, 20/May/2000. He lived 99 years, the entire century, if he was alive for 1 more month he would have turned 100 years old! Well, 2 more months and a week, but who's counting? My GGF from Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto had almost the exact same lifespa...
by MarcoItaliano
07 Jun 2014, 07:29

Once you get his birth year you can get his military record (Leva) if he was born in Sora they hold those records also Marty i have his birth year and death. he was born in Sora, 28/July/1900 and died in Toronto, 20/May/2000. He lived 99 years, the entire century, if he was alive for 1 more month h...
by MarcoItaliano
07 Jun 2014, 01:30

adelfio wrote:LOL That's my great grandfather Mariano Adelfio from Trabia Palermo I cant help you military uniforms sorry

Marty
lol k i kind of figured wasnt u cuz the pic is in black and white...thought maybe u would know that kind of stuff...its all good
by MarcoItaliano
07 Jun 2014, 00:58

Comune di Sora - Corso Volsci, 111 03039 - Sora (Fr) Italy OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Nazareno Baldassarra Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore, Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno...
by MarcoItaliano
06 Jun 2014, 23:19
Topic: What was Italy like in the 1960's?
Replies: 5
Views: 2253

Re: What was Italy like in the 1960's?

Thanks, Paul. I do okay, but my dream is to move to Italy and work with a master - perhaps Raffaella (suanj) or Livio. :) To the original poster, our forum member Italysearcher resides in Sora. Perhaps she would have some valuable insight. Try PM'ing her or visit her blog at http://angelresearch.wo...
by MarcoItaliano
06 Jun 2014, 22:48

Hi, this was one of my old Topics i made on my old profile...(MarcoItaliano is my new one) im wondering if my G-G-Grandmother Restituta's surname was actually Ariozzi , because i found that its also an official surname and many people in Italy have that surname. And it sounds so similar to Cariozzi ...
by MarcoItaliano
25 May 2014, 07:17
Topic: What was Italy like in the 1960's?
Replies: 5
Views: 2253

What was Italy like in the 1960's?

Hi, I'm wondering what it was like in Italia in the early 1960's more particularly in south Lazio (Frosinone) in the cities of Sora and Ceprano. Thats when my Nonni on both sides left and immigrated to Canada and im just wondering what it was like there at that time period. How was life there for ev...
by MarcoItaliano
21 May 2014, 16:03
Topic: Correct spelling of a name?
Replies: 11
Views: 4261

Re: Correct spelling of a name?

You can view common Italian names/spellings here: http://www.nomix.it/nomi-italiani-maschili-e-femminili.php ya it has both on there thats what i mean, could be spelled either way, but for sure has "stino" at the end not "usto". Kind of sucks for me for doing research because al...
by MarcoItaliano
21 May 2014, 13:52

Re: Correct spelling of a name?

Hello, :D I would guess Agostino, but if his name was Augusto, he could have been called Augustino. Paul ya i think Agostino too because there is the surname Agostino and D'Agostino..etc (which mean "of Agostino" because its an Italian given first name) but my mom put a U after A when she...
by MarcoItaliano
21 May 2014, 11:42

Correct spelling of a name?

My 2nd Nonno Grande on my mother's side was Augostino Luongo . My mother told me she might have spelled his first name wrong so i searched on the internet and it looks like it is spelled wrong and i found the correct way to spell it but i dont know which one it is, looks like there is 2 ways to spel...