Search found 75 matches

by qualdom
27 Sep 2021, 14:40
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Applying for Citizenship through Residency and Italian Ancestry: Question about Documentation Discrepency
Replies: 1
Views: 1653

Re: Applying for Citizenship through Residency and Italian Ancestry: Question about Documentation Discrepency

All I can say from my experience dealing with dual citizenship in multiple counties is that there is a certain type of clerk/consular official/registrar who will turn any issue into something problematic....and it doesn't matter how sound your arguments are or how much supporting evidence you have. ...
by qualdom
20 Sep 2021, 22:30
Topic: Qualified for citizenship via grand and/or great grandparents
Replies: 7
Views: 1827

Re: Qualified for citizenship via grand and/or great grandparents

I'd add that your children will be automatically Italian citizens after you, if they are minors. If not, they have to go through the same process. (Please correct me, if I'm wrong) Yes, I think all you have to do is register minor children in the "Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all'Estero&q...
by qualdom
20 Sep 2021, 16:54
Topic: Italian Citizenship through Residency for Grandson of Italian Born Citizen
Replies: 5
Views: 2046

Re: Italian Citizenship through Residency for Grandson of Italian Born Citizen

Actually, it looks as if he was naturalized in the US before the marriage. Not 100% sure, but I saw a document that shows that he may have obtained it about 10 years prior to the marriage. I know it impedes me from getting citizenship through Jure Sanguinis, but would it also block me from getting ...
by qualdom
19 Sep 2021, 01:46
Topic: Qualified for citizenship via grand and/or great grandparents
Views: 1827

Re: Qualified for citizenship via grand and/or great grandparents

No, you can’t skip a generation to your gggrandparents who remained in Italy. Yes, your children qualify if you do. I'd add that your children will be automatically Italian citizens after you, if they are minors. If not, they have to go through the same process. (Please correct me, if I'm wrong) Ye...
by qualdom
29 Aug 2021, 23:55
Topic: Pride or Prejudice?
Replies: 3
Views: 1734

Re: Pride or Prejudice?

Maybe not lower class, but less assimilated in that they stick out more as immigrants. I'm not sure. But they did use the term "greenies" in a derisive manner. I guess 2nd generation Americans are often prone to be critical of newcomers. My experience with Italians in recent times is that...
by qualdom
27 Aug 2021, 15:58
Topic: Best source for ordering Italian birth certificates?
Replies: 2
Views: 1842

Re: Best source for ordering Italian birth certificates?

I see several places online offering to obtain/send my Italian grandparents birth certificates needed for dual citizenship. I wonder if folks can advise which do a good job or which should be avoided? I would not go through one of those companies that you have found via an online search. They will ...
by qualdom
11 Aug 2021, 17:09
Topic: Help finding where in ITALY my great-great-great-grandfather was born
Replies: 2
Views: 2419

Re: Help finding where in ITALY my great-great-great-grandfather was born

For Italians who immigrated to the USA, there's no better source of information than arrival records. I was able to find the age, comune of origin, and even a parent's name. This was enough to help me locate the birth record. However, I'm not sure where you are from and if your country kept comparab...
by qualdom
24 Jul 2021, 17:17
Topic: Help Finding Naturalization Papers
Replies: 1
Views: 3142

Re: Help Finding Naturalization Papers

According to the 1910 census, Dante Ravetta was a naturalized U.S. citizen.

I would first try to contact the Superior Court in Cook County, Illinois to see if they have a certified copy of the naturalization record.
by qualdom
29 Jun 2021, 17:05
Topic: Jure Sanguinis Help
Replies: 13
Views: 6534

Re: Jure Sanguinis Help

I've seen it a lot with people from Panama, they enter the USA as a permanent resident with an i-551, then after many years they decide to naturalize only to discover they were eligible for derivative citizenship the entire time. That's why immigration paperwork today asks if your parents were ever ...
by qualdom
19 Jun 2021, 22:04
Topic: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA
Replies: 38
Views: 16957

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

I was able to get a petition approved to correct my Grandfather's misspelled first name, as well we updated my GGM's first name spelling from the anglicized version to match her Italian birth record with only a photo copy of her Italian birth certificate. My GF as born in Northumberland County, PA ...
by qualdom
16 Jun 2021, 18:26
Topic: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA
Replies: 38
Views: 16957

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

The PA Birth Record of my deceased Father needs to be amended also. Can anyone provide a link to templates for obtaining a court order from PA for this purpose? Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated to see others are going through the same thing--and finding success. Thank you. Like A...
by qualdom
14 Jun 2021, 15:42
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Italians in Azerbaijan?!?
Replies: 18
Views: 9372

Re: Italians in Azerbaijan?!?

I actually asked her, she said he was in the police forces in Lebanon but he was born in Azerbaijan https://www.customscollector.com/index.php/insignia/140-lebanon Explanation explained, still I don't get the heritage report but I guess people get around everywhere. That information makes me think ...
by qualdom
11 Jun 2021, 21:44
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Italians in Azerbaijan?!?
Replies: 18
Views: 9372

Re: Italians in Azerbaijan?!?

I've never heard of there being an Italian community in Azerbaijan but who knows. Baku (like most cities in the USSR) was very multinational and multicultural. It's probably much less diverse today than it was back then. So he could have been a mix of several Soviet nationalities. I am very familiar...
by qualdom
01 Jun 2021, 19:39
Topic: Children born in U.S before father's naturalization
Views: 7293

Re: Children born in U.S before father's naturalization

I guess this means your grandfather's 12-year-old daughter (your mother?) automatically became a U.S. citizen when she was born in the U.S. Or, to put it another way, in the eyes of U.S. law, she was never an Italian citizen. Are you saying the 12-year-old daughter was denied the right to apply for...