Search found 20 matches

by SteveS
15 Jan 2024, 03:26
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Prepaid return postage from Italy
Replies: 8
Views: 7265

Re: Prepaid return postage from Italy

Last June (2023) I used Rob (usernale: avepally) at fiver.com, which is an online small-freelance-task website. https://www.fiverr.com/avepally/send-you-an-envelope-and-italian-stamps-to-use-for-a-sase For $20 he'll send you 4 euros worth of Italian Postage, and a correctly addressed envelope. If yo...
by SteveS
04 Jun 2023, 20:27
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Regional dishes, cooking styles
Replies: 32
Views: 9892

Re: Regional dishes, cooking styles

Don't know how many people have noticed this, but there's a YouTube channel called Pasta Grannies https://www.youtube.com/@pastagrannies It's literally just a show that pops into kitchens all over Italy and talks to 90 year old women while they cheerily make hand-made pasta. Worth checking out. It h...
by SteveS
07 Oct 2022, 06:32
Topic: Trying to get birth certificates from Benevento…for an entire year
Replies: 7
Views: 1461

Re: Trying to get birth certificates from Benevento…for an entire year

Hi Suanj; What a timely post - I have a question for you. As I've been researching my personal case I've discovered timing issues which will probably thwart me, but I'm still gathering my information together because, well, this is immigration law and immigration law can change with one court case -...
by SteveS
03 Aug 2022, 06:19
Topic: Marriage in Pennsylvania
Replies: 50
Views: 4763

Re: Marriage in Pennsylvania

Cedrone: I'm having trouble following the exact question, but if you're looking for a marriage in Uniontown, Pennsylvania in the 1910's, or records relating to someone Connelsville, Pennsylvania, both of those towns are in Fayette County (counties are the smallest civil division in Pennsylvania that...
by SteveS
01 Aug 2022, 07:05
Topic: Looking for some advice requesting docs from Italy
Replies: 2
Views: 608

Looking for some advice requesting docs from Italy

I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice about requesting birth and marriage documents from italy I'm going to request atti di nascitti for my mother and atti di nascitti and atto di matrimonio for my grandparents. They were all born in a small town, Isca, on the Calabrian coast in the 1890's and...
by SteveS
05 Jun 2022, 22:24
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Monastary in central Calabria
Replies: 1
Views: 691

Monastary in central Calabria

A few years ago my wife and I were in Italy and we spent a couple of days in Isca Sullo Ionio to visit my Mom's family. Isca is a little town of about 1500 on the east side of Calabria, about a mile back from the Ionian coast. It's between the larger costal towns of Sovarato and Badalato, about 15 m...
by SteveS
10 Mar 2022, 05:24
Topic: Children born in U.S before father's naturalization
Replies: 25
Views: 12279

Re: Children born in U.S before father's naturalization

If we take a look at the Italian Law on Citizenship which was in force at the time (Law 13th June 1912 no. 555), we will find that article 7 reads as follows: "Except special provisions to be stipulated with international treaties, the Italian citizen born and resident in a foreign country, fr...
by SteveS
10 Mar 2022, 04:57
Topic: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA
Replies: 54
Views: 24636

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

I called the Northumberland County Prothonotary's office a few months ago and whoever answered told me that the Prothonotary was no longer going to respond to written requests for naturalization records. People who are looking for records would have to come into the office and do the search themsel...
by SteveS
10 Mar 2022, 03:07
Topic: Weird question about grandfathers derivative (American) citizenship and what it does to my mother's
Replies: 20
Views: 2330

Re: Weird question about grandfathers derivative (American) citizenship and what it does to my mother's

As of 2022 though, the Northumberland County Prothonotary will no longer retrieve these records so you'd have to visit in person to do a search. As I don't live in the area and have not visited in several years, due to covid, ICA just got in before the deadline. Yeah, I'm on the west coast and have...
by SteveS
10 Mar 2022, 02:52
Topic: Weird question about grandfathers derivative (American) citizenship and what it does to my mother's

Re: Weird question about grandfathers derivative (American) citizenship and what it does to my mother's

Your mother was born an Italian citizen Really? This is the part I don't understand. Imagine her family pulled a "Home Alone" move and forgotten her when they moved to the US and she stayed behind in Italy. Looking back from 2022, she would have a 1948 claim (maybe - depends on what the j...
by SteveS
09 Mar 2022, 07:10

However, the mother’s birth in Italy is what makes this case different from those you describe. Yes, she was already a US citizen when her mom naturalized but not through “birth on soil” (jus soli). And the 1912 law protects the citizenship of only those who obtained a foreign citizenship jus soli....
by SteveS
09 Mar 2022, 06:36

.... However, during a certain period in US history some documents labeled “Certificate of Citizenship” were actually naturalization records, usually a naturalization that took place in a state, not federal, court. Someone in another forum posted a photo of what was labeled “Certificate of Citizens...
by SteveS
04 Mar 2022, 08:13
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: So how the heck did my grandfather get US citizenship?
Replies: 1
Views: 447

So how the heck did my grandfather get US citizenship?

Hi Everybody! I've been lurking here for about a month as I build my Italian citizenship case. These forums have been an amazing resource, showing me where and how to look for records. I've been endlessly amazed at amount of information I can find about ordinary people living ordinary lives as I pie...
by SteveS
01 Mar 2022, 06:17
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: "Nata in Sea" on death registration
Replies: 6
Views: 572

Re: "Nata in Sea" on death registration

Also..

>> Filatrice = spinner.

Thanks for clearing that up. I assume that was the catch-all description for young women in a fairly agrarian community. All the young men were just "farmer" or "laborer"
by SteveS
01 Mar 2022, 06:14
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: "Nata in Sea" on death registration
Replies: 6
Views: 572

Re: "Nata in Sea" on death registration

>> So she was not the person you were looking for? Nope, I guess not. I feel like I'm on some weird, geneology-themed Easter egg hunt, trying to figure out just how my grandfather managed to acquire American citizenship. At the risk of wandering off the forum topic of language, I'll tell you the sto...