Search found 63 matches

by vineviz
12 Feb 2022, 15:00
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Old insult in Italian
Replies: 15
Views: 12693

Re: Old insult in Italian

I followed up with one of my older syblings who still speaks dialect quite well and that's what she remembers too 'na cioccia' or '(n)u cioccio'. I don't know what the dialectal words were for a female donkey or a male donkey? Yes I knew that "ciucciariello/a" would mean little. Intersest...
by vineviz
12 Feb 2022, 14:50
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Casalvecchio di Puglia
Replies: 87
Views: 47737

Re: Casalvecchio di Puglia

I just want to add a quick thanks to Nick for all the hard work, here and on WikiTree.
by vineviz
24 Aug 2006, 12:37
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Translation of Great Great Grandfather
Replies: 7
Views: 15697

Re: Translation of Great Great Grandfather

I did a little Googling, and I found this: http://www.cerromaggiore.org/dbdocs/7_poliziamortuaria.pdf which lists the following relationships 1. I genitori 2. L'avo e l'ava (i nonni) 3. Il bisavolo o la bisavola (i bisnonni) 4. Il trisavolo o la trisavola (i trisavi) 5. Il quartavolo o la quartavola...
by vineviz
24 Aug 2006, 12:10

Re: Translation of Great Great Grandfather

mfjp wrote:Wow... you must be a great great great great great researcher!! :lol:
More lucky than great, I think!

I am probably at the end of the line with my 5G grandfather, but I did find the name of my 6G grandmother (born 1683) in the catasto onciaro.
by vineviz
23 Aug 2006, 23:37

Re: Translation of GGGGG Grandfather

Does anyone have a suggestion for GGGG grandfather or GGGGG grandfather?

I think that quinquisavolo will work for GGGG grandfather, but perhaps there is a more common word.

I have no clue for GGGGG grandfather, however!

Thanks in advance.
by vineviz
06 Aug 2006, 10:54
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Genaro Caivano Formicola (POntelatone)
Replies: 11
Views: 8306

Re: Genaro Caivano Formicola (POntelatone)

suanj wrote: is a january name month.. http://www.etimo.it/?term=gennaio
Yes, January would be the most literal translation of Gennaro into English but there is not really an equivalent name in English.

Gennaro is a common name, especially around Naples I think.
by vineviz
04 Aug 2006, 00:58
Topic: Genaro Caivano Formicola (POntelatone)
Replies: 11
Views: 8306

Re: Genaro Caivano Formicola (POntelatone)

Someone becoming mayor in 1842 could easily have been born prior to 1809, as you surmise, but he would likely have gotten married after 1809: have you checked the marriage records as well as birth records?
by vineviz
02 Aug 2006, 03:46
Topic: Lost relatives
Replies: 15
Views: 11235

Re: Lost relatives

Perhaps the family was Bavarian or Prussian originally, and only lived in Treviso briefly? I found manifests from 1882 of a Guiel family emigrating from Prussia (Germany), and earlier Guiel emigrants from England, France, and Belgium. Also, there were many families in the 1870 U.S. census (which pre...
by vineviz
01 Aug 2006, 00:42
Topic: Sorella in capillis?
Replies: 2
Views: 3735

Re: Sorella in capillis?

Donata sorella in capillis which means she was not yet married Teresa figlia nelle fascie which means she is just born (today we say "in fasce") Salvadore fratello chierico which means he's a priest, a religious man Hope this will help! That's a great help! Thank you. The town is Villa Sa...
by vineviz
31 Jul 2006, 23:53
Topic: Catasti Onciari
Replies: 23
Views: 21361

Re: Catasti Onciari

I'm bringing this back to the top again. Consulting the Catasti Onciari for one or more communes around the city of Avellino would be the next logical step for me in my research. Vince, did you ever find anyone to help in this regard? Does anyone else have recent experiences with requesting microfi...
by vineviz
31 Jul 2006, 22:19
Topic: Sorella in capillis?
Replies: 2
Views: 3735

Sorella in capillis?

I've got a census from 1745 that shows an ancestor and his household. One of the listings looks like "Donata sorella in capillis". Would this be like a sister-in-law (like the sister of the man's wife)? EDIT: I'm also a little baffled by another entry in the same census. It looks like &quo...
by vineviz
29 Jul 2006, 02:21
Topic: Crismati? Is that a vaild surname?
Views: 5722

Re: Crismati? Is that a vaild surname?

Crismale would make sense and this is the best lead that I have gotten! The priest must have crossed the "L" by accident, thereby making it look like a "t". If it is Crismale, then Molfetta (Bari) would be a great place to look for a birth record. http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi...
by vineviz
28 Jul 2006, 23:51
Topic: Crismati? Is that a vaild surname?
Views: 5722

Re: Crismati? Is that a vaild surname?

On my great-grandfather's marriage certificate, he has his mother as being listed as Grazia Crismati. The penmanship is quite clear. I have never heard of this surname before. It may have been mis-spelled by the priest. Has anybody seen this surname or have any ideas what it should be? I'm guessing...
by vineviz
28 Jul 2006, 23:35
Topic: Did Pronunciation or spellings of Surnames change in America
Replies: 8
Views: 8459

Re: Did Pronunciation or spellings of Surnames change in Ame

Yes, I find that agents at Ellis Island wrote the last names and residences of many arrivals whatever way they figured it was spelled. My grandfather is listed as Oreste Salvatore when he is really Oreste Salvatori. Alot of his relatives, the same thing happened when they came over I find in their ...
by vineviz
25 Jul 2006, 03:29
Topic: DNA Testing
Replies: 1
Views: 2866

Re: DNA Testing

Hi, There are three types of DNA testing that can be done for genealogical purposes. Autosomal DNA testing is designed to tell you, in very broad terms (i.e. vague) your general ethnic background. DNA Tribes and AncestrybyDNA are the widely respected firms in this field. Y-DNA testing is designed to...