Search found 3312 matches

by darkerhorse
03 Feb 2022, 17:21
Forum: Genetic genealogy
Topic: Sicilian DNA
Replies: 158
Views: 46550

Re: Sicilian DNA

23andme might be the best choice, but Ancestry.com is the only place where I've seen Sicily itemized (but I haven't found anyone whose results reported it).
by darkerhorse
03 Feb 2022, 17:16

That's ironic. I'm hoping for deep roots in my hometown. This is the DNA test for a distant relative (father's 3rd cousin) who immigrated from Sicily. We share the same surname. I guess the results are typical for a Sicilian. It's very general, but I guess you can click on the regions and get more d...
by darkerhorse
03 Feb 2022, 17:05
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Composition of Italian Wedding Parties
Replies: 8
Views: 2273

Re: Composition of Italian Wedding Parties

I have family wedding photos of Sicilian immigrants to America in the first quarter of the 20th century. There are both photos of just the wedding party and photos of extended family.
by darkerhorse
03 Feb 2022, 16:43

In my case, the paper trail goes back seven generations in Sicily - to the mid-1750s - on virtually all direct ancestors on both sides of my Sicilian paternal family. Almost 100% from the same tow, and all from the same province. Of course, some or all could have arrived much further back. In the sc...
by darkerhorse
03 Feb 2022, 16:24

If 23andme doesn't have a Sicilian reference group then how can they produce shaded maps which include Sicily? Another concern would be when my ancestors arrived in Sicily. How can DNA help with that? The paper trail ends in the mid-1700s due to availability (church records have been destroyed over ...
by darkerhorse
03 Feb 2022, 13:56

I suppose their Italian category could include some Sicilians but it seems like an oversight, or maybe they know Sicilian ancestry can be too complicated. I guess the thing to do is to accept that Sicilian can't be separated out by percentage, and live with the percentage breakdown of Italian, Greek...
by darkerhorse
02 Feb 2022, 19:08

But no one from Sicily in their reference panel.

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/ ... uage=en_US

Looks like just a parlor game.
by darkerhorse
02 Feb 2022, 17:48

This list of reporting regions for DNA testing by Ancestry.com includes Sicily.

Has anyone had "Sicily" actually reported in their DNA test with Ancestry.com?

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/ ... uage=en_US
by darkerhorse
01 Feb 2022, 22:20
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: France, South America, Australia
Replies: 2
Views: 4689

Re: France, South America, Australia

Sounds like the person is offering to post information about ancestors if someone is willing to research them.
by darkerhorse
31 Jan 2022, 19:37
Topic: Moor or Less
Replies: 17
Views: 2851

Re: Moor or Less

I know there's diversity I was just making the point that "dark" is relative. There's a saying "to a foreigner a Yankee is an American, to an American a Yankee is a Northerner, to a Northerner a Yankee is a New Englander, to a New Englander a Yankee is a Vermonter, and to a Vermonter ...
by darkerhorse
31 Jan 2022, 19:29
Topic: Cousins DNA
Replies: 1
Views: 963

Cousins DNA

I’m trying to determine the expected percentage of shared DNA between two male cousins: S and P. S’s parents were 3rd cousins to each other and shared the same surname, and P’s parents were 2nd cousins to each other and shared the same surname as both of S’s parents. In sum, all four parents had the...
by darkerhorse
31 Jan 2022, 15:25
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Pixels
Replies: 4
Views: 1239

Re: Pixels

Pixels? Wasn't that a girl group in the 60s?
by darkerhorse
31 Jan 2022, 15:24
Topic: The Math
Replies: 11
Views: 1621

Re: The Math

There are some interesting studies linking the evolution of physical attributes like skin, hair, and eyes to diet, UV rays and geographic location.
by darkerhorse
31 Jan 2022, 14:15
Topic: The Math
Replies: 11
Views: 1621

Re: The Math

In some cases with siblings who don't resemble each other, each sibling looks like one parent, and you'd never guess that he/she belonged to the other parent too.
by darkerhorse
31 Jan 2022, 04:11
Topic: Moor or Less
Replies: 17
Views: 2851

Re: Moor or Less

Relatively speaking, for an Italian to call someone "dark" you'd think they'd have to be really dark.