Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
I had a great-great uncle named Vito Maioriello who was originally from Campagna. I was told that he was in the Italian Calvary and then emigrated to Argentina and never had any contact with the family again, some of whom stayed in Campagna and some of whom settled in Philadelphia. His father's name was Antonio Maioriello and his mother's name was Vita (unknown maiden name). Other than the names of his sibs & half-sibs and one photo this is ALL of the info I have on this man.
This may very well just leave me at a dead-end. I was unsure if anyone could direct me to an Argentinean site similar to ellisisland.org or if you knew how I could research records Calvary records.
Dear Marianne there is a big pronlem...there is no one in Argentina, Uruguay or Chile with the surname Maruiello in any of the more immediate available indices. He may have gone to Brazil which is a more long drawn out affair and the only coujntry that has a similar surname is uruguay with Mauriello which may not even be the surname you are seeking. But this is the first time that there is no record for the name the way it is spelled for me and that is odd. I will try to go to Italy for a double check on the spelling..=Peter=
There are only 19 citieis,towns or villages in Italy that have people surname Maioriello and most are in the Campania region so the spelling looks good. have to check out Brazil. =Peter=
WLDSPRT - the site to which you referred me looks like it is active but I cannot click on any links - nothing happens - I saw somewhere on the site that it was last update in 2007 - can you confirm that this is an active site and if it is any advice on how to access those links?
click on find your roots
when this second page comes up, click on find your roots again(red arrow)
and this brings up the third page, which I just gave as a link above!!
Let me know if this works......
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
thanks - I wasn't being directed to register before even though you mentioned I would...now I went to this REGISTER link but it states over and over again that the "connection is timed out" - I will try again later.
I also had that problem when first using the site....
I found if I went thru Internet Explorer as opposed to AOL,
there wasn''t any problems with the connection time out message.
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
thanks - registered through Internet Explorer - no hit on the relative though - it states the bank is up to 1920 - maybe he went after that year? I checked under Brazil just to be certain - no hit there either - the surname has 0 hits for both countries.
I knew it was probably going to be a dead-end. Thanks so much again...
The following member has posted numerous links to South American research, by clicking on the link at the bottom of the profile, "find all post"
perhaps you locate some of these....I don't have any of them bookmarked,
or I would post them for you.....
Giovanni Caboto, son of Giulio, was born in Gaeta, Italy, around 1451 AD. After the Aragonese defeated the Angevins in 1461, his family took refuge in Venice where the young Giovanni grew up, got married to Mattea about 1870 and had three children: Ludovico, Sebastiano, and Sancto. His dream was to ...